Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The winter project has begun (lots o' picts.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 10:50 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian: How about the usual kitchen metal shiner/polisher? (it's in the form of aerosol (sp?) would that be safer?
Old 12-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A polish or abrasive will do the trick. The abrasive can be purchased in different grades, from course to fine. Lots of vendors out there and the stuff is not that expensive.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:11 AM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KJM3SMG
I vote for Herndon Clock tower Neds (do i have the right place in mind?) weeknight after Monday... if any locals in Northern VA want to be invited, maybe we should get a list together? I can keep a private list. Just a suggestion so we can avoid hijacking this thread. email me if interested karl_garcia****at****hotmail dot com.
That is a "Devine" location No hijacking offence taken.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:21 AM
chapstic951
Pro

Originally Posted by Andre
hey while you are under there, could you snap a picture of the oil cooler and where it is placed? I put mine near the fender up front when i put my motor in but still dont completely like where it is placed.
Andre, don't think I over-read this. My oil cooler is stock so it realy has not moved vary far. I will get you a shot tomorrow of where it is under the oil filter for reference. If you are inquiring about an aftermarket oil cooler, you may want to shoot fanatic951 a message. He installed one about a month ago along with an oil breather valve.

Regards,
Steve
Old 12-26-2004, 12:31 AM
chapstic951
Pro

Originally Posted by theedge
Id say save up for a MAF or just put the stock snorkel back on.

Also replace some of the coolant hoses, theres one thats right above the turbo thats a PITA to replace when it goes.

For the vacuum lines, Lindsey sells a kit of 30 feet of silicon tubing and brass Ts. I bought a tubing kit from a shop that had a varity of lines, so I replaced a few of the bigger lines.
You read my mind on the vacuume hoses. I need to squeeze in the order to Lindsey under my fiance's raydaar.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Steve,
Those pics look awfully familiar! Thats pretty much what my car looked like coming apart! Looks like its coming along well, reassembly is the fun part!
Let me know if you need a hand with anything, I'd be happy to return the favor.
Oh, and if you guys are trying to get a local group together at Ned Divine's let me know.

Paul
Old 12-27-2004, 06:29 PM
9five1
Pro

Cool, you guys live right down the street, I just moved to a new place off River Creek Parkway (about 5 minutes up rt7) and I am starting my ground up 951 rebuild over the winter.

~Eric
Old 12-29-2004, 10:46 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Going back under on Friday. Draining all the fluids, removing belts, gears, cam cover, intake, sway bar etc.... If any of you locals are interested in stopping by, drop me a PM. More picts to come.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:22 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I might drop by to say what's up and see a little bit of your work.. my car is in the shop at IMA... see this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=177143&page=2

:-(
Old 12-29-2004, 11:47 PM
chapstic951
Pro

I was following your thread. Unfortunatly I do not have a whole lot of experience in that field to offer any insight. Pretty much anything I could suggest was covered. Bad cat, chips and O2 sensor were the only things I could think of. I hope all works out... as I am sure the right amount of $$$ will permit.

Swing by if you can....the garage is always open.

Originally Posted by KJM3SMG
I might drop by to say what's up and see a little bit of your work.. my car is in the shop at IMA... see this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=177143&page=2

:-(
Old 12-30-2004, 08:54 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

I did something similar last June. It's very rewarding to rip that funky old rubber out and replace it with nice new hoses. Steel wool and a stainless steel or brass brush will do wonders for that corrosion. There's not much that would keep it from coming back, unless you send the parts out to be finished (e.g., powdercoated, jet-hot coated, etc.). However, bear in mind that you are looking at almost 20 years of corrosion there (assuming that the motor has never been cleaned up before). Yours is severe enough that I would imagine your car either lived outside in an area where condensation was an issue or that your motor has been steam cleaned multiple times. Assuming that you do not steam clean in the future, keep the car in a reasonable environment, etc., I don't think that you'd have much trouble with further aluminum oxidation for quite a while if you clean that up.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:29 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Today was slightly productive, but not as much as I had hoped. I was able to get the intake manifold, anti-sway bar, all fluids drained, PS pump removed and a few other small things. I was cruzing along until I tried to get the exhaust bolts off right after they come off the head. Similar story with the turbo. It looks like at trip to sears for some new tools (whatever excuse I can get!!) Below are a few shots I got today.

On the intake manifold, does it look like the gaskets were not put on the correct port? All four are offset by 1MM, very slight but noticable. Also there does not seem to be any oil in the turbo, good news.

Also, I think I found a huge culprit for my oil mess. The oil separator (I believe that is what it is) had a very loose hose on the top that appered to spit oil every where. The part I am referring to is towad the back of the engine, where you pour oil into the engine.

KJM3SMG, sorry you couldn't make it out. I definatley could have used a second set of hands. Maybe next time. Hope all is going well with your exhaust.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:57 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chapstic951- That's how the intake gaskets fit. If you hold them to the head you'll notice they fit almost perfectly. So yes, the intake runner do not exacly match the head. You can port the intake manifold to match the head by using the gaskets to mark the material that needs to be removed.
I did that on my intake, let me see if I can get a pic of it.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 12-31-2004 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 01-01-2005, 06:50 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strange, my intake manifold gaskets were stuck on the head not on the manifold itself.......
Old 01-10-2005, 11:07 AM
chapstic951
Pro

More progress was made yesterday. I had my buddy swing buy to lend a helping hand. We were able to get the crank gear off finally but I am suspicious about the notch in the back. It looks like it was wedged on incorrectly. Can you tell by this picture?

Quick Reply: The winter project has begun (lots o' picts.)