Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo waterpump options

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo waterpump options

My mechanic installed my tial wg today and told me that my secondary waterpump for the turbo is leaking. Is there a way to bypass this by installing a different turbo, or what is the best fix? (I cannot use this as my excuse for a bigger turbo)
Old 12-20-2004, 08:35 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

The water cooling is what gives these turbos such good longevity. Some say you could just let it idle for a few minutes before shutting it down to accomplish the same thing the turbo water pump does. If you are looking for an excuse to get a new turbo, not replacing the pump would speed up that decision maybe??

Lou
Old 12-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

I could not replace the pump and use that excuse with my wife.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:47 PM
billgot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mercedesben
I could not replace the pump and use that excuse with my wife.
That is a shame.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"But you see honey, it's simple thermodynamics - since the turbo water pump isn't working, if you get a larger turbocharger it has more surface area and as such, will cool better strictly by contact to a larger volume of air moving across it from the cooling fans"

Dunno. Try it.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he was going for the "not replace the pump and destroy the turbo" excuse. Then he'll have to get a larger turbo right?
Old 12-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

I cannot bring myself to destroy the turbo, it has served me well, I will replace the aux water pump and keep the k26 going strong. I will dyno my car in the next week or two with my new maf setup and the k26, then It might be time to retire that workhorse and reward it with an upgrade or perhaps a new turbo. I already got away with the excuse that "my wastegate spring was weak" so I could upgrade my wg. My new excuse is that my boost pressure drops at high rpms, so I need a new turbo might work!
Old 12-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Just unplug the TPS. This will limit boost to 1.2 bar of boost and you can CLAIM the turbo is toasted, getting her to buy into your "see, it killed the turbo!" story (she can even go drive it to see). Then you'll have license to go get that T04E you really want. . .

God, I'm a stinker sometimes. . .
Old 12-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Matt H
Race Director

You can run without it. To be honest, I bet 20% of them on cars on this board dont work right and and the owner doesnt know You could also replace the pump, I believe they are around 130 USD.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

The pump is definitely being replaced!
I do not have to worry about my wife driving the car.
It does not have heated seats so she will not go near it until April!
Old 12-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Hahaha! I just replaced my H2O pump. I agree it can be run without it but I figure anything I can do to "be nice" to my turbo is a good thing. I also want EVERYTHING working on the car 100%. That's my goal for right now before I start modding it. I still have to replace an a/c compressor, a headlight washer nozzle (the system actually works!) and the tubing to the driver's side windshield washer. Once that's done I'll replace the oil pan gasket and should be golden for awhile (yay!)

IIRC my pump ran about $170 through the dealership. It's a pretty easy swap; you should be able to do it in under 2 hours easy and that's without getting that dirty - everything can be done from "up top" which is kind of nice for a change. . .
Old 12-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Matt H
Race Director

If it takes two hours, you must have taken a break for lunch and a nap
Old 12-21-2004, 07:17 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have deleted my pump. Too much weight

Also, it cleans up the engine bay some and saves the battery and I am struggling for more benefits with that one. Its cheap to rebuild turbo's anyways!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yep - that was going hella slow. I kind of tend to work slowly anyway 'cause I combine repair time with cleaning time. I don't put parts back in until they're shiny and new looking! If you're just busting *** and looking to do a straight R&R, it'd probably take 45 minutes if that.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
IIRC my pump ran about $170 through the dealership. It's a pretty easy swap; you should be able to do it in under 2 hours easy and that's without getting that dirty - everything can be done from "up top" which is kind of nice for a change. . .
I just replaced the turbo cooling pump on my 951 today because it was leaking pretty badly. It cost €135 at my local dealer and was a pretty straightforward swap, like you say.

The replacement pump was larger than the original but fit in the holding clamp very well. The only drawback in the job were the single-use hose clamps I found on the intake hose and on some other fittings. Had to twist them apart and run out to buy some standard replacements.

I didn't want to drain the cooling system to do this, so I used these hose pinchers from Snap-on, like the FSM recommend. These worked extremely well, and I only lost a tiny amount of coolant. One thing I wish I had known is how easily the airbox snorkel comes off by pressing the tabs underneath. I took off the whole top before realizing this. Would have made things quicker.

Once I had the intake hose out and the 3 coolant hoses pinched off, I found it easier to loosen the pump support bracket and slide it downward to gain access to the two hoses that attach to the pump. This made it much easier to slip the used pump off and fit the new pump on and clamp it down.

Does anyone know if those single-use hose clamps came stock on these cars, or are they definitely aftermarket replacements?

After everything was buttoned up again, I turned the car on and off and noticed the new pump is much more quiet than the original. It ran for about 30 seconds and shut down like it's supposed to. Nice to get that out of the way.

Quick Reply: Turbo waterpump options