Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Chips: Is there such thing as a "free lunch"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004 | 11:33 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guessed right, Matt. I want to keep as much of the setup in stock form. However, I realize that the stock chips are a bit "conservative" so I'm looking to add 20-30 HP or whatever is realistic, with chips and maybe a refurbed stock WG to get the most out of my K26/8 turbo.

I'm also concerned about controlling boost (MBC vs. EBC) and the O2 sensor would probably be replaced as well. I know you've researched this topic extensively, and your suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for asking.
Old 12-22-2004 | 11:41 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The make this as easy as possible. Order a set of the APE chips. They are still the best stock application on the market. They offer stock driveability, no external mods, no boost controller to fiddle with (just add the jetted banjo bolt, it controls boost), they are safe to run and offer a nice boost in power.

Are they the BEST chips on the market? No, probably not outright. For your application I think they would be best. No concerns over MBC/EBC (which is better depends a lot on the user), no concerns over other parts you are going to have to replace or install, etc.

They are truly plug and play and offer everything you are looking for in a simple complete package. They should easily meet your HP requirement.

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
I've never tried or dynoed the Superchips but I've heard that it is the least aggressive of the chips you listed. I have however tried and dynoed the APE's (219HP/257TQ), Weltmeister (225HP/260TQ), Guru's (230HP/265TQ), and Vitesse(240HP/285TQ). All on the same car, same mods, same boost.
While they are the lowest in Jeremys findings they are significantly higher than stock and this is on a non S model. I would expect more from your S.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-22-2004 | 11:50 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was clear what Luis was asking about/wanting... A stock looking, reliable, safe, mild boost upgrade setup. Maybe it's because I know from previous posts that Luis loves to keep things stock, and from the wording of his questions he seems very cautious, and wants a safe and mild upgrade.

In regards to controlling boost, if you buy a package from a vendor, the boost enhancer should come preset. that means no screwing around. just install and go.

There is no need to adjust the boost directly between days when you want to take it easy, and days when you want to go hard. you simply use your right foot to do that. Therefore for this setup I think an EBC is overkill. If you are really concerned about monitoring boost levels, a factory VDO boost gauge can be installed in a stealthy location (glove box) to keep the car looking stock.
Old 12-22-2004 | 11:55 AM
RPG951S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luis,

The APE chips are perfect for you. They are the easiest ones to install (in terms of boost control), look completely stock and will work perfectly in a stock environment. Yes, you will make more power with other chips; but the APE chips are probably the 'mildest' of the aftermarket chips. I personally know of someone who has been using APE chips for 10 YEARS on his turboS with zero problems. For near-stock reliability, they cannot be beat.
In addition, you can find them used everywhere for <$100.
Old 12-22-2004 | 12:06 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich, I wasnt so much referring to you. While the boost enhancer maybe preset it is adjustable and begs to have the cycling valve removed. In Luis' case the more stock the better so the path of least resistance and probably the best recommendation is a set of the APEs. As RPG correctly points out they can be had dirt cheap as well.

Make sure you get the 28pin if you buy used.
Old 12-22-2004 | 12:10 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I also ran APE chips for >10 years on my Turbo S with no problems. This was strictly street driving, but with at least a couple runs to redline almost every time out. However, when I first installed the APE restrictor bolt in place of the stock banjo bolt, I was overboosting a bit. I had to drill out the hole in the jet to reduce the boost. This was no big deal. In fact APE supplied drill bits with the kit specifically for this purpose. I do strongly recommend an aftermarket boost gauge with any chip upgrade to insure your boost is correct.

Quick Reply: Chips: Is there such thing as a "free lunch"?