Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch, tranny, linkage, PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Ghirt944T
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch, tranny, linkage, PLZ HELP

Hey all, had a big problem today. WHen the car is running I CANT GET IT INTO GEAR. If i put it into reverse and dont let the clutch out right away it stalls out. If i try to put it into any gear, it feels like the clutch ingages and wants to pull the car forward. Only way i can get it into gear is if i turn the car off and put it into first gear then drive, but i cant come out of first and go into second and then it wont go into first without shutting off the car. Plus, when in reverse, when i do let the clutch out it pulls back really hard, Im lost and have no idea where to start. Its a 1987 951 with 89,000 on the motor and tranny. PLZ HELP ME
Old 12-18-2004, 07:14 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you are due for a new clutch.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:42 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

yeah i second that. mine has just gone, exhibiting similar symptoms but not as bad. basically, the rubber/spring centre of the clutch disc disintegrates and jams up between the clutch disc and the pressure plate, so the clutch doesn't disengage completely. or something like that.

makes it hard to get in and out of gears, especially reverse 'cos it's got no synchros.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:25 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Check for clutch wear and travel using the Clarks-Garage garage manual write-up http://www.clarks-garage.com/. One of the springs may have broken free and become wedged. I assume your clutch pedal feels the same with no problem of sticking at the floor. You should also check for leaks at the clutch master(behind carpet at top of pedal) and slave cylinder (through inspection hole at bellhousing) while you are looking.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Ghirt944T
Track Day

.....bump......
Old 12-21-2004, 12:13 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

basically, it sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging properly. usually that happens because either the clutch is stuffed, or your master/slave cylinder is stuffed. normally you can tell one of the cylinders is gone b/c the clutch pedal will feel soft. so if the pedal feels normal, then chances are your clutch is busted.

i just went down the shop to look at mine...this is exactly how my old clutch looks (this is mwc951's picture):
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2004, 12:35 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Funny how every clutch disc I've seen that has failed, either N/A or Turbo has quite a bit of lining left. I can't remember a 944 disc worn all the way to the rivets, it's always the rubber center breaking up or a spring that gets loose first. This is sure contrary to most American and Japanese cars I've owned.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:44 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

facboy...........thanks for the credit for the pic!!

Ghirt944T.........if it is your clutch, consider doing the job yourself. It would be a great opportunity to become "one" with your car.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup sounds like your clutch is going/went. Just be happy its the winter and you have time to get under her and do some work
Old 12-22-2004, 09:41 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mwc951
facboy...........thanks for the credit for the pic!!
that's ok mwc. i sure wouldn't anyone to think that was *my* ugly-**** clutch disc in that photo. mine is much more attractive . i know i said they look exactly the same, but there's just something about my clutch disc...excuse me for a sec...
Old 12-22-2004, 05:40 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

That disc was removed from my '88 with 52K on the odometer. It failed 1 month to the day after a K27/6-7200/wastegate/MBC install.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Black Arrow
Racer

Originally Posted by facboy
basically, it sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging properly. usually that happens because either the clutch is stuffed, or your master/slave cylinder is stuffed. normally you can tell one of the cylinders is gone b/c the clutch pedal will feel soft. so if the pedal feels normal, then chances are your clutch is busted.

i just went down the shop to look at mine...this is exactly how my old clutch looks (this is mwc951's picture):
Hi!

What kind of clutch is this? I also got the same clutch, with the same spring issue problem! See attached picture.
Just wonder if this is the original clutch, or is this a upgraded one?
Are going to install a spec stage 3, with alu pp and alu flyw. Looking forward to try it

Old 01-02-2005, 03:02 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

that's the stock clutch. i wouldn't go a spec 3, based on others' experience. though if it's a track car i guess it might be ok.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:51 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See the above post by facboy, on the spec 3. There is a VERY long post about people having problems w/ the spec . FWIW, give a search, and make up your own mind, but they are known to be REALLY stiff, and having just fought of the bumper to bumper rat race of Christmas shoppers, I really had to think about that. Unless you have stupid power, it may well be overkill, as that is supposed to be a "Race Clutch". If you do it though, let us know.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Black Arrow
Racer

I`ve already bought the spec, and its ready to go in! So, I have no choice I`ve heard MANY things about the spec setup. To many. I decided to trie it instead of listen to everyone else. I`m going for the vitesse stage 3 and with a LR stage 3 head and many other things so I`m in need for a heavy clutch. Its not my daily driver either, so I hope it isnt to bad. I`ll give you all feedback about the clutch when tuned in!

Quick Reply: Clutch, tranny, linkage, PLZ HELP