Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 10:49 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new engine no oil presure!!

hello
I try to build up oil pressure in my new engine but without succes.
I put at least 7L oil even put oil in the head and in the oil filter(in the thread pipe where the filter get installed)
what else can I try?
I tried for about 10 times 10 turns every time

Konstantin
PS The car is jacked up in the front does it matter?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you try to prime the pump first, by putting oil in the oil filter hole and turning the engine backwards by hand? Repeat that a few times and then try cranking.

The last engine I swapped would not build pressure no matter how long I cranked - pressure came right up when I started it though. I assume your crank pulley is torqued properly so the oil pump actually turns?

Sam
Old 12-15-2004, 11:11 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have never taken the oil pan off of a 951, but in many engines the oil pickup would not be submerged in oil if the front end was jacked up. If I were you I would at least try taking the car off of the jack and see what the result is. Also, I personally would never start an engine if I could not get oil pressure.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Konstantin,

I'm not implying you're an idiot, but here are a few things for you to check or do:

1. Be sure the OP sending unit wires are hooked up.
2. Be sure the crank bolt is tightened to spec.
3. Be sure the timing belt gear is installed in the proper direction (or else it won't have enough pressure on the sleeve). It's very easy to install backwards.
4. Add oil to both ports of the filter housing and rotate the engine backwards by hand a few revolutions to help prime the system. I tend to add oil every 20 minutes or so until it overflows and then let it sit overnight.
5. Check OPRV installation.

Did you check the oil pick-up tube for cracks and install the o-ring? I also believe there was a change in the tube/pan combos somewhere through the years and if you swapped these parts the pickup could be bottoming out against the bottom of the pan (IIRC). 10 revolutions 10 times should have got it somewhat primed.

Good luck,
Old 12-15-2004, 11:14 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeremy: Now wouldn't the alignment of the OPRV also indicat low/no oil pressure in this case (just asking). It wouldn't hurt to check right?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:32 PM
TT
Racer

This method requires an air compressor.

Pull the oil filter and put about 5-10psi pressure down the dipstick tube. Put your finger in the oil filter threaded pipe to prevent oil from coming backwards through the system. Wait till all the bubbles from the oil pump feed are gone and oil flows freely. Should be primed at that point.

As mentioned already make sure the OPRV is not stuck.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:37 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

i had this happen to me before.after changing oil cooler setups,i had zero oil pressure,stuck at 0.i just bought and installed the new oil pressure sending unit.i thought it was faulty but come to find out the wires were crossed!hahaha,i switched them now i get 4-5bar at idle and 2-3bar when warm.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:59 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

New engines don’t usually come up to pressure very quickly. As long as you used a decent assembly lube the best way to get pressure is to pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over for a while – up to 30 seconds if needed.
By removing the plugs you have taken the load off the crank/rods and the lack of oil pressure will not harm them. The engine will also spin much quicker.
If you really want it to prime quickly remove the oil filter – this will minimize the pressure differential at the oil pump and allow the oil to prime quicker. You will need some one to watch – as soon as the oil gets to the missing filter it will come out very fast (this should be done in conjunction with eh spark plugs removed).
If you don’t get pressure after several 30 second trys then you need to double check assembly of the oil pick up, oil pump and crank girdle for air leaks.

Good Luck!

Chris White
Old 12-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hello
I did ALL of the above sugestions except for turn the engine backwards after I put the oil in the treaded oil filter pipe.
Why turning the negine backward would help?
Anyway i will try this too.
Today is a new day maybe i have more luck.
The engine is a new rebuild 3L engine OPRV is replaced the oil pick up tube etc is the same as in the previous block so it should work.
I am exciting to see how my new 3L turbo runs.
I also upgraded the brakes with the 6-Pistons from Gt3 Cup put a very big oil cooler (which took almsost 50 hours to finish) etc etc

Konstantin
PS I turn the engine without the spark plugs
Old 12-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

PS my battery is somehow weak but I also use the baterie charger together with the batterie. Do a weak baterie affects the time to build up the oil pressure. I assume the engine turns slower with a weaker batterie

Konstantin
Old 12-16-2004, 10:35 AM
TT
Racer

Hopefully you didn't forget to put the rubber seal in front of the drive sleave for the oil pump.

Also make sure the washer for the crank pulley is oriented properly and the pulley is seated and torqued down correctly.

Is oil flowing from the filter housing when you pressurize the crankcase?

If the pump is primed, the plugs are out, and the battery is fully charged, you should get close to 5 bar pressure within 30 seconds. Pressure should register within the first 15 seconds.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you get any oil coming out of the oil filter mount (cranking with the filter removed)? If not you will need to take a closer look at the various assembly steps –
• Tight crank bolt with all associated hardware
• Correct seals on oil pick up
• Girdle sealed around oil galley

Chris White
Old 12-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

oil is coming out of the oil filter
but not more than 1.5 bar pressure
battery is emty now !!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Konstantin
oil is coming out of the oil filter
but not more than 1.5 bar pressure
battery is emty now !!!!
If oil is coming out of the filter housing while cranking, the system is primed. It should be fine when you fire it up. 1 bar of oil pressure at idle or cranking is enough to prevent damage. If it does not go up once you fire the motor up, I would suspect the oil pump collar or OPRV.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

so it doesn't matter how long and how often I crank the engine. It make abot 1 bar pressure after about 10 sec and it stays there for another 10 sec. Someteimes it tryes to go up to 1.5 bar but just for hald second or so.
So no more than 1 bar after 10 sec till I turn back the key.
Both baterys are emty now.
Should I install the rest togethe rand start the engine or try again and chek the oil pressure valve in the oil housing?
how long should I wait after I start the engine till I see oil pressure?
More than 10 sec with the engine runing at idle should be enough???? I hope

Konstantin

Quick Reply: new engine no oil presure!!