Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crank / cam sesnor issues, any insight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 12:07 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crank / cam sesnor issues, any insight?

I tried to get the AEM working, with TEC 3, 60-2 triggers fitted to the car the AEM won't recognise the sensors as it looks for at least 1v peak to peak on cranking. I was hoping the TEC3 sensors would work but they only put out about .3v max on cranking. There is probably the option of changing some resistors inside the box (don't really want to go there) or using some older GM sensors that I know guys are running with my model AEM box.

The other option is converting stock sensors if they are suitable. Does anyone know what the peak to peak voltage is of stock sensors when cranking?

Also, does anyone have any 2nd hand sensors they can sell me for cheap or even donate?

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock rpm sensor should give at least 2.5V peak to peak at idle. The reference sensor should give a positive pulse of at least 2V with >200 rpm.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:10 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

B951S, The electromotive sensor is a very low voltage. You can use a different typr of sensor (smaller than factory) that might work better. Or you can use a ignition amplifier to raise the voltage of your sensor..
Old 12-12-2004, 11:55 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

By closing the gap up on the crank sensor I can get the AEM to see it now, it reads the 60-2 pattern ok, but, absolutely nothing on the cam sensor no matter how close I put it to the trigger tooth.

Without the cam sensor the AEM will not sync and therefore not commence injector and ingnition outputs.

John, any more info on what type of alternative high sensitivity sensor I might instead of the 3/8 electomotive mag sensor for the cam?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:14 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Use a FORD sensor. Email me directly and I will give you the part number. I'm not familiar with AEM, but I use it with my preferred standalone.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B951S
Does anyone know what the peak to peak voltage is of stock sensors when cranking?
Cheers.
With a cranking RPM greater then 200, the voltage should be >2V.

This can easily be changed to any voltage. Drop me a PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Will the AEM work with a hall effect sensor? The cam sensor works better with a hall effect since the out put is essentially digital – on or off. The magnetic sensors can pick up stray signals or have low out put. The Tec3 has enough gain to use the lower output magnetic sensors but then it may pick up stray signals too – that’s why I went to the Hall effect sensor for the cam.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:21 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Chris, the model of AEM box I have is designed to work with mag sensors. They do a model that can ready both mag or hall but I'm stuck with this unit for now. The crank sensor reads great BTW, I just had to really center up the trigger wheel and close up the gap. It puts out ~1.5v cranking and when idleing puts out ~5v, goes up to 20v when revving....that ones all good.

John, I was looking into Ford sensors, specifically some models that can be had easily at NAPA, like this one. Its NAPA pt # CSS110. I think they are for mid 90's 2.2 4cyl ford motors. I'll PM you.
Thanks.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Crank / cam sesnor issues, any insight?