951 Brake Boosting Question..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:27 PM
89PorscheTurboMobile
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 Brake Boosting Question..

Hello,

I just watched Porshhhh951s video, and he had a popup saying he was "brake boosting," I know these cars are equipped with brake boosters, but what is brake boosting?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:49 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

He'e dragging the brake while applying throttle to build boost, then letting off the brake
for a harder launch.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:05 PM
89PorscheTurboMobile
Instructor

Is this the original purpose of the brake boosters?
What are the negative affects of this?
How hard do you have to press on the brakes?
Old 12-11-2004, 11:50 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I thinkt he brake boosting you are refering to is for allowing more power to the brakes.

The "brake boosting" that is talked about in the video is loading up the engine so boost will build. I haven't tried it, but I'd say you have to push the brakes hard enough to maintain a constant speed w/lots of throttle. I think it's one of those things you just go do, and its not too tricky. Remember, I haven't tried it so I cant be for sure.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightly press on the brake, hit the gas and let the engine rev above 3K, let go of the brake. Then get ready to explain to the judge why you were going 140 in a 55. Take it to the track; learn to corner at the limit of the car…much harder to do then any street racing.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Kesepton
Racer

Originally Posted by beab951
Lightly press on the brake, hit the gas and let the engine rev above 3K, let go of the brake. Then get ready to explain to the judge why you were going 140 in a 55. Take it to the track; learn to corner at the limit of the car…much harder to do then any street racing.
amen..
Old 12-12-2004, 02:05 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Not to mention its VERY bad for your brakes....
Old 12-12-2004, 02:30 AM
faithless
Pro

Downshifting would seem to do the same thing. If you take the time to hone out your skills at shifting to the right ranges and doing it smoothly and very fast, you'll be a better driver and you will spare your brake pads.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:34 AM
89PorscheTurboMobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by faithless
Downshifting would seem to do the same thing. If you take the time to hone out your skills at shifting to the right ranges and doing it smoothly and very fast, you'll be a better driver and you will spare your brake pads.
What the hell? What does that have to do with anything?
Old 12-12-2004, 02:35 AM
89PorscheTurboMobile
Instructor

Wilson, Brian, and ECU,

Thanks for the info, I have a track session in two weeks, I'll give it a try.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:42 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by faithless
Yeah but gearing for certain runs isnt optimum, like when you are in 1st or 2nd gear rolling at like 10-20mph and you arent up in the rev range you can left foot brake and build boost so as soon as you "go" you are boosting.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:13 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MPD47
Yeah but gearing for certain runs isnt optimum, like when you are in 1st or 2nd gear rolling at like 10-20mph and you arent up in the rev range you can left foot brake and build boost so as soon as you "go" you are boosting.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious MPD.

The bottom line is when you are running 40mph....and holding it...you aren't in the throttle and you aren't building any boost. So when the race starts you still have to hit the throttle and then build your boost before you can start going. I just build the boost before hand so that when the race starts I already have all my hp and tq ready and waiting. The idea is to leave like you are a big block v8. They have all the hp instantly...while in a turbo car you have lag. This equals the playing field. I was racing a v8 that is going to have instant tq. I want to have instant tq too so I can match him at the begining and just pull.

If you dont think it makes that big of a difference... look at the races were I didnt brake boost. The two races that I did I instantly pulled way out. No lag.

This is just a little trick to help you out. I suggest you get plenty of track time and learn your car at the limit of adheasion. What it feels like. How the car talks to you. Learn how to manipulate your car for maxium performance weither you have traction or not. Racing is dangerous period. If you decide to race you are taking a big risk.

I run my car fast in a semi controlled enviorment. I would never speed through car's or do anything remotely to endanger someone else on the road. I dont race were there are cross streets and traffic.

Its hard to see but, in the video you can see the tollway out to the side....the road we were running on in that section has no cross ways of anysort and you can see for 2 miles. It's striaght and smooth and about as safe as it can get when you are doing what we are. Please use common sense when you are driving your car and trust your gut feeling. If something doesnt feel right dont pull the trigger make sense?

I have been racing(legally) for quite sometime. I started when I was 8. I have driven and raced 8 different porsche's and a slew of neon's, and miata's. Even though I am only 22 I have been doing this for quite sometime and when it comes to the non legal side of things....I am very careful and run through a personal check list evey time its done. If you dont have a spot like what I am decribing or the expeirence please don't race! Never run 100mph on a city street with intersection's and pathways...thats just ****ing stupid and you are going to get someone killed.

You have to remember that people are stupid. They dont judge speed. They judge distance. When they are looking to pull out they are looking at how far away the car is and they use that information to tell them weither or not they have enough time to pull out or do whatever it is they are going to do. They DO NOT THINK ABOUT SPEED!. So they may see your headlights coming but, they wont think about you doing a buck twenty get me?

Thats why you can't race were their are cross streets or traffic of any sort. the average driver wouldn't even know how the properly correct his car if it got outta controll...and more than likely you are going to scare him into doing so right when he realizes whats going on.

Threads like this are very dangerous. If you have a question about something of this manner please pm me privately. I in no way condone being stupid...and 9 times outta 10 if you are street racing you are being stupid. Thats the danger about posting up a video like that one is...I dont want you to get the wrong idea about what is okay and what isint.

I have been doing this a very long time and as many check points I go through I still pull out and stop if something doesn't quite feel right. Please learn to drive your 951 at the limit on a track somewhere. Buy professional instruction it's worth it. Learn what it means to control a car outta control....how to bring the front and rear in. You will learn to slowly read your car and the conditions over time very well.....and you will change how you drive on the streets as well.

The guy's you have to worry about are the people not paying attention. Driving 75mph while talking on their cell phone.

I realize this post is extremely long...but, I just want to be upfront about everything. yes I race with friends yes...its dangerous. Its my choice and I cut the dangers down to myself and who ever is participating.

Of and yes brakeboosting does wear out your pads...but, I personally dont give a crap. I want all my power when I want it....... I never want to have to wait for 20psi. I want everything on tap..and I can tell you it makes a huge difference. Unless you have a stupid hp advantage over the car you are racing the fist few seconds of a race are the most important. I hope this answers some questions and teaches some of you newer members about me.

Most everyone on this board knows me and knows I am not going to do something outlandishly stupid in my car. I am well aware of the risk invloved.....I hope you guy's are as well.

Ignorance is bliss until it gets you killed.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:14 AM
faithless
Pro

Originally Posted by 89PorscheTurboMobile
What the hell? What does that have to do with anything?
Downshifting will give an increase in boost if you are able to do it within 3 grand. Disengage clutch and blip, shift very fast so BOV keeps as much boost as possible, and continue to ride on WOT in a lower gear. Simply another way to get some fast accleration rather than employing other methods such as "brake boosting" which is simply abusive to the car.

Someone who can drive a gearbox properly should have no problem finding the right power band. This is the entire point of the manual gearbox...

MPD47:
Point well made. Certainly "brake boosting" has its advantages to downshifting. When at lower speeds it would be an good alternative because the rotor speeds are much lower so the brakes won't be abused.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:49 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

89PorscheTurboMobile
Were are you running your car this late in the year? My first run was at VIR and was very interesting... I can only say it was intense. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 12-12-2004 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:05 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

John make some very good points. We would all be liars if we say we never run our cars hard on public roads and save it for the tracks. I'm probably one of the most conservative drivers here, my wife and kids make fun of me for how much I baby the car and how careful I am in traffic.
But I have pushed all my vehicles hard at times. I have had many close calls due to the stupidity of the 'other guy'. Most people drive like fools and pay more attention to their radio and their cell phone than the task at hand. So if you are going to push your car follow John's wise advice. BTW, most kids think their fast reflexes and skills can get them out of any situation. It took my son 3 wrecks, 2 cars and a couple legs full of titanium to begin to realize that skills alone wont save you.

Quick Reply: 951 Brake Boosting Question..