Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Proof that the clear indicator lens is cool

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 06:15 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My roof looks exactly the same. Is it because the roof panel is ABS rather than the metal on pre '90 models? Earlier roof panels don't appear to suffer the same way. ( sorry for high jack ). Adam.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:33 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Mine was fine until I replaced the seal, it is slowly going back down and getting better now but has taken 2 years. I thought mine was alloy but have never had it apart. I think pre oval dash the roofs have a tensioning cable insidethat can be adjusted to keep the curvature, I was told the later ones dont.
PS you on Titanic? Tony (Sidestream)
Old 01-18-2005, 06:37 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Exactly the same experience...was a perfect fit before I replaced the seal...ho hum. Heard the same thing regards tensioning cable but remember Bert Gear saying there was some sort of adjustment in there ( yes, I am on Titanic....just a bit of a voyeur )
Old 01-18-2005, 07:21 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by meek
My roof looks exactly the same. Is it because the roof panel is ABS rather than the metal on pre '90 models? Earlier roof panels don't appear to suffer the same way. ( sorry for high jack ). Adam.
AFAIK, all of the 944 sunroof panels were fiberglass, none were metal.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:13 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

I stand corrected, they were all GRP. Will have to take it apart and see what I can do.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UK952
And mine, rears are coming soon

Just got to persuade sunroof to sit flat.
Tony
By the way forgot to mention I'm the good looking one on the left
Old 01-18-2005, 09:41 AM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Originally Posted by UK952
And mine, rears are coming soon

Just got to persuade sunroof to sit flat.
Tony
The clear lenses look great on your colour of car Tony. Not convinced they would look as good on my black car.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
Bump for Robby
Thanks a lot.... looks great- I just didn't remember the signals from before... will have to go check it all out later, but, am saving all of your car's pics to one folder for easy access b/c I will eventually AT LEAST get my IC panel cut the way your's is... thanks...

Tony- does your SR panel stay flat normally (ie: in regular slow driving)? Have you ever tried to run the car on the track w/OUT the panel on? I can actually feel a dif w/my car- that thing weighs 19lbs & at the very top of the Cg. Ahmet used to remove his every time he auto-Xed... It's amaizing to me that one can evedn notice the dif, but, I swear I can- I don't even have the SR panel out of the car- I just have it sitting in the back hatch, so, I'm still carrying the 19lbs, but, in a lower, more rearward place...
Old 01-18-2005, 06:09 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Thanks Slim anyone on Fens group buy got a black car?
Robby, no the new seal pushed it out, and its always like that since but it is improving slowly.
I haven't tried taking it out on track, makes sense from a weight point of view but doesn't it increase the drag? I was doing around 140 on the straight at Snetterton and around 150 at Silverstone so it might get windy and noisy.
Tony
Old 01-18-2005, 07:06 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

the sunroof is fiberglass? get out of town!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony- that's a good point... didn't think about that- at those speeds you probably would be better off leaving it in- Ahmet Auto-xed his car, so, he didn't reach anywhere near 140... I guess the racing you do is why most people remove the lid & weld a piece of carbon fibre in place- if it's a street car though, this would not be very good IMO- I'm constantly on the lookout for someone to make a carbin fibre lid that is well sealed & has some sort of noise reduction in it that opens & closes like normal- Garrity had one at his place, one to weld in only type that weighed less than one pound! Anyway, I'm looki ng into swapping out my power one for a manual one- the manual ones have less bracing (which does no good anyway since it's not welded into the car) which saves a couple of pounds AND the boxes that hold the arms would go too, which probably add up to close to one pound each & then the motor in the rear- not too much, but, every little bit helps & what's the point of that technical BS system to just raise & lower the back of the thing 2" anyway? Oh well, always something to bitch about....

Old 01-19-2005, 10:01 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Robby,
Keep us informed if you make the swap to a manual roof, Its something I would consider.
On track days over here generally we are not allowed timing or overtaking in the corners, passing is always the same side and if a faster car catches you, you should let it pass by lifting off if necesary (if its faster in the corners) I guess this is similar to DE over there?
We also have auto-X but it tends to be very sow speed stuff and in a smaller area than I have seen from pics on rennlist - better to suited to (original) mini's than Porsches.

Tony
Old 01-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I think that's the way a lot of tracks are here- Mine has never seen a track, but, someday will- it's still going to be an everyday driver though- one main reason I want to go manual is not only to save weight, but, to quieten down the squeaks I get from the power one- don't know if it will help, but, I get the squeaks when it's on the closed position & am wondering if manual might clamp it down better & eliminate the noise....

There are several guys on here who have done the swap though.... here is a link to one website...

http://www.sidv.org/manualsunroof.htm

Somewhere in there, IIRC, it says that you lose the raise & lower feature of the SR when going manual, but, this is NOT true- actually, you lose the adjustability of open height, but, you actually have a larger opening- it's either full-open or full-closed, but, compared to full-open w/the power ones is an extra inch or so, it's still cool- you just flip the latch pieces on the rear & fold them into the outer edge- ALSO, manual SR cars have a small strap on the rear center of the SR panel that latches to a place just behind the headrest t okeep it tight when open- it's not 100% neccessary, as wind will keep it tight, but, under heavy braking, I can see it being useful... anyway, these are not tough parts to get if you should decide to go manual & should not deter you if interested.... that power set-up is really a lot of stuff for such a small amount of usefulness....
Old 01-19-2005, 10:17 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 06:10 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NZ951:

I have to say this. I would've never thought that clear lenses would look that good on these cars. But after seeing it on your car, maybe it due to the paint color, I have to say I think the clear lenses look badass. Very very nice..

Also, I see you are becoming a real Momo freak? LOL. So you are slowing getting turned onto the Italian stuff? Don't forget your car roots though, it's German!

Quick Reply: Proof that the clear indicator lens is cool