Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cheap AEM EMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 07:16 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cheap AEM EMS

Thought someone might be interesting in this BUY IT NOW deal on a 1010 AEM EMS.
FYI, I have my 1010 ready to go with a fully modified harness and 4 channel CDI. Just need a flywheel lock so I can bust off the crank bolt to fit the 60-2 trigger. I have plugged in the harness and tested all the sensors, ISV, calbrated the TPS, etc, all I need to hook up is the the triggers and I should be good (I have the kit from Chris White). I have also bench testing the CDI and test fitted the coil-on-lug set up. Fits great. I have a very good CAL file for starters if anyone goes down this route.

Anyway, for 750 on a new 1010 box, this is a good deal!
Check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 12-05-2004, 10:58 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you notice who the seller is? It's Pauerman from the list. I haven't talked to him in a while but he was planning to set the AEM up for the 951. Maybe he changed boxes or has gone a different route.

Max
Old 12-05-2004, 12:09 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Max, I never noticed it was was Pauerman but your right. Last time I talked with him he was setting up a Nissan AEM box that would use an optical cam sensor for both crank and cam sync. Sounded like a really good approach. I hope he is still pursuing it as it will make a great, easy conversion versus converting to a 60-2 trigger. As for the auction, Its a great price for a 1010. I'm suprised it hasn't been bought yet.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've rounded up all of the components for my AEM standalone and turbo system. I've been talking with an AEM engineer and have been instructed to go with another model box. I picked up this 1010 box on the advice of a local AEM tuner, but unfortunately I was misinformed about the extent of the modifications required for this box to recognize the optical trigger I intend on using. These mods don't fit into my long term goals, so I'm selling this box at a good price.

I'm set up with a great turbo builder/supplier that is very involved in the turbo 4 cyl market. They've been gracious enough to offer me what they feel would be the best suited turbo for the 951. They claim to have built up their company around a very similar configuration - more to come

I'm building up my 2.5L right now - just sending my crank out to SFR for perp drilling. I expect that I'll be doing a shake down of the system shortly into the new year.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-06-2004, 12:29 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Fantastic!
Yes, the 1010 can only see mag pickups, your original AEM tuner guys really should have know better!

Once I can get my damn crank nut off to fit the 60-2 trigger and electromitive send me my sensors, I should be ready to fire her up.

Keep up posted on your progress..
Cheers.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:53 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

So you guys are going get the AEM to work but with two different methods. Pauerman is using a custom cam sensor and Davinder is using a 60-2 crank sensor. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach? Will both of you guys have full sequential fuel and ignition?

Max
Old 12-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Davinder - I knew the 1010 box only recognizes mag sensors but was told by my local AEM guy that it could be easily configured via jumpers to the trigger I'm using. After dicussing this jumper mod with AEM directly, they told me that the 1010 doesn't have any jumpers!?! To get the optical sensor to work with the 1010, different resistors need to be soldered onto the board - not really what I'm looking for. I've got another box in mind that's priced better than the Nissan one.

Max - my EMS will be a COP (inductive), full sequential fuel and ignition setup.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:04 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

We will both be able to run full sequential and have the use of every AEM feature, just different approaches. There are different schools of thought, both aftermarket and OEM, as to how you get crank speed and reference sync signals. Both work great. Honda use a combined sensor in the distributor that provides both crank speed and cam sync. Pauerman us using an optical sensor that does the same (Nissan I think). There is an AEM box built specifically for this sensor that 'synthesizes' the teeth down to a more user friendly number in the AEM sofware. My approach needs custom programming for the crank trigger pattern.

As for performance, they should be very similar. If OEM guys use intergrated crank speed/cam sync sensors for relatively high revving imports, we should have no problem. You will have no doudt heard endless debates on issues relating to belt stretch but people I know who trigger this way seem to be very happy with it. The advantage with Pauermans's approach is that is would make for an easier installation. I got a cheapish 1010 box and the conenctors are readily available so I went for the 60-2 but had to shell out for a 60-2 conversion so cost should end up being a wash. Also, I knew Pauerman was doing the cam based crank spped sig apprach, so I thought I would do the 60-2.

Quick Reply: Cheap AEM EMS