Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What type of wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I was thinking of getting the lindsey dual port for my car. It is an 86 and for $80 dollars I get something that won't have any fitment issues.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:53 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a quick question, it seems like some of you are saying that if I upgrade to a tial wastegate that I will have to get some sort of a boost controller? I dont need to get a boost controller do I if i already have a set of chips that are controlling the boost, and cant you control the boost by adjusting the wastegate right or not?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:16 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dual Port Wastegates need either a MBC or an EBC:

If you do decide to get a Tial, you need to install it backwards compared to the stock mounting position.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
I was thinking of getting the lindsey dual port for my car. It is an 86 and for $80 dollars I get something that won't have any fitment issues.
Um, $80? List is $399.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...944WASTEGATEDP
Old 12-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I meant $80 more then the $315 from myswiss.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

I just bought a new Tial off a rennlister today for a good price. I can't wait to get it in.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRACKIN951
I have a quick question, it seems like some of you are saying that if I upgrade to a tial wastegate that I will have to get some sort of a boost controller? I dont need to get a boost controller do I if i already have a set of chips that are controlling the boost, and cant you control the boost by adjusting the wastegate right or not?
Trackin, You're a bit misinformed but not way off. The chips have zero function when it comes to controlling boost. What they do is allow you to run more boost by removing the overboost protection in the factory chip. The boost is controlled by your LBE, Cycling valve and the spring in your wastegate. If you upgrade to a Tial, you can get away with no boost controller and just run the boost levels dictated by the spring in the WG. You could also use the LBE in single port mode. The best option without spending a lot of cash would be to go to any welding supply store and pick up a pressure regulator (MBC) for $20 and have full control of your boost levels as well as be able to run the WG in dual port mode.

By far the Tial is the best bang for the buck. While the Lindsey unit is a nice peice, it is more expensive and doesn't perform any better then a tial. Another consideration is you lose your core or pay though the *** for it. A stock 951 WG will sell on ebay for just shy of 100 bucks, Lindsey will give you a $90 credit towards parts for one, or you can hang on to it to reinstall it if you ever sell the car. At the end of the day, that's about $500 for their WG.

Take the Guru W for example. Essentially it is a cracker jack solution to a poor design and at the end of the day and still a single port WG with slower response then a DP. A few steps better then shimming but hardly a Tial or Lindsey DP. You pay $190 for the WG, and have to give up the stock one which could be worth up to $100. For another $30 you can have a solid dual port Tial. It's pretty hard to match the competitive price of the 38mm Tial.

I have the 46 on my car and installed a 38 on the car I built for my dad. Both units have been outstanding to this point.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Tomas L
Pro

It's retarded to tun a DP WG in single port mode. You can run it in dual port mode with a MBC or an EBC and still achieve greater response then running it in single port mode and relying on spring pressure and having no opposing pressure to aid in closing the valve/keeping it closed. My AVC-R only has one solenoid and it's one of the best EBC's on the market (outside of the Blitz stuff IMHO). I know very few people who run a DP WG in single port mode (unless they're using an acuboost type of controller).
Sorry Jeremy but running a dual port with a single solenoid will not gain anything over a single port wg combined with a boost enhancer except for the ability to control boost against rpm or gear or other fancy stuff that the electronics can do.
The setup with pressure on the oppsing side as in Hosrom's figure #3 will really only do the same as a boost enhancer. There is no pressure that's trying to close the wg since the pressure never can be greater on the top side port than on the lower port with this setup. With a dual solenoid EBC setup one solenoid can close of air pressure to the bottom port while the other is open for pressure to the top port and thus creates a pressure differential that holds the wg closed. When it's time to open the solenoids switch position. With this setup you can create pressure only on the side where it's needed.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Trackin, You're a bit misinformed but not way off. The chips have zero function when it comes to controlling boost. What they do is allow you to run more boost by removing the overboost protection in the factory chip. The boost is controlled by your LBE, Cycling valve and the spring in your wastegate.
If someone hasn't bypassed the cycling valve, then the KLR chip will control boost. Some aftermarket chips (for instance APE) change the signal to the cycling valve, others (for instance Guru) just modify the overpressure protection and let you use an MBC to control boost.

I still think that the best bang for the buck is to save up for a K27/6.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:13 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone please post a link to website with dual solenoid ebc's.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:06 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
It's retarded to tun a DP WG in single port mode. You can run it in dual port mode with a MBC or an EBC and still achieve greater response then running it in single port mode and relying on spring pressure and having no opposing pressure to aid in closing the valve/keeping it closed. My AVC-R only has one solenoid and it's one of the best EBC's on the market (outside of the Blitz stuff IMHO). I know very few people who run a DP WG in single port mode (unless they're using an acuboost type of controller).
I have a DP WG but I also have the accuboost. Can I run a line back from the top of the DP WG to tie it back into the line between the banjo and accuboost? Would that have more response compared to just venting the top port?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:59 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all respect people, i think we should stick to types and comparing them as the thread stated.

Heck some people here are running the Delegate wastegate as well. I would like to see their views here on that particular wastegate.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:30 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hosrom-
I believe his question was answered.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:07 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Gator, I got a Tial on my 86... no special flanges, just used the Tial stock ones and welded in some pipe. Cost $275 all up...
Old 12-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Tomas L]Sorry Jeremy but running a dual port with a single solenoid will not gain anything over a single port wg combined with a boost enhancer except for the ability to control boost against rpm or gear or other fancy stuff that the electronics can do.QUOTE]

Tomas,

I would love to walk through this with you but I don't have much time today so we'll have to table this one for a bit. I am not wrong in this case and by your response I don't think you've ever tried a single solenoid EBC or really looked into it but it does not work as you stated and does provide closing force on the opposite of the valve on a DPWG.

As far as the chips go, APE uses a modified banjo bolt to control boost, not the cycling valve, Weltmeister uses a drilled cycling valve/shims, and they both have the over boost protection removed. They don't use the cycling valve to control boost. Danno posted a pretty in depth explanation on why this never cold be achieved a few years ago.

Quick Reply: What type of wastegate?