Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What type of wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeremy, if you don't belive me concerning single port vs dual port perhaps you belive Danno.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=wastegate
If you don't think my explanation is correct then please give me an in depth explanation on how you think it works.

Yes, APE uses a banjo bolt with a restriction but the KLR still, through the cycling valve, has control over the boost signal sent to the wastegate.
The KLR does not regulate boost to the extent that it ultimately decides the exact boost level. What it does is that at a given rpm and a given TPS sends a preprogrammed duty cycle signal to the cycling valve. The cycling valve then depending on the duty cycle reduces the boost signal it sends to the wastegate. As long as the wastegate spring and other parts are within spec this results in a boost level that the person who programmed the chip wanted. Since the wastegate spring gets softer over the years, the actual boost level will decrease and the KLR has no possibility to correct this.
The APE chips has a reprogrammed duty cycle map in the KLR chip. The reason for the banjo bolt is to allow the owner of the car to compensate for the conditions in his car. In the cycling valve inlet connection (the hose from the banjo connection) there is a restriction. This restriction is fundamental for the function of the cycling valve. What the banjo bolt does is that it inserts a smaller restriction, a little eariler but still on the CV intake port) that overrides the stock restriction. Essentially it shifts the relationsship between the duty cycle signal and the resulting boost signal to the wastegate. For a given duty cycle the boost signal to the wg will be lower with the banjo bolt, resulting in higher boost.

Tomas

Quick Reply: What type of wastegate?