Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

You wont believe this, but I want a Lindsey Racing product! MAF Trap, experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 10:01 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, but there is not exactly a vast amount of locations for the intake. I think I will just make up a SS polished shroud / boxed off area and make some gasket to seal the area at work...
Old 11-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming the location is fixed, then there is the question of whether or not to block off the original induction hole to the wheel-well and whether to get a headlight duct .

Guessing where the high (or low) pressure areas are is not an easy task. I read in an SAE magazine that Chrysler on their new 300 hemi had to block off the ducts next to the lower driving lights, when they empirically discovered that they actually sucked air away from the radiator.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:02 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Hmmm interesting. I was thinking of a shield under that area as well to scoop air up as well, there is a gap there now the AC is gone. So that may not be the best design.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:34 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you asked the Lindsey's if they will even sell YOU one? I wouldn't.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:39 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Huh?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:32 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ehall

Why would you intentionally come onto someone else's thread to start something that's obviously going to be 3rd grade-ish.

Please lets stay on topic people. I would like to know if you see any differencies in temp andrew...that is if you decide to get it. I myself have bigger fish to fry at this point(your beating me in mods..lol)
Old 11-29-2004, 02:13 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Why would he have to ask? Has he done anything inherently wrong, illegal, immoral? No. Has he STOLEN from them? Not that im aware of. He didnt like some of their products, or had support problems or whatever the story is. When you run a business, that is a fact of life. You can never please EVERYONE in ANY business. Your goal is please the most people possible.

If you have someone who doesnt like some of your stuff, for whatever reason, fine, you deal with it in a professional manner and leave it at that. If said person wants to buy again, and you say no, you as a business have just made a horrible image for yourself, one that will definatly be heard about in a community like this. if he wants to buy again dispite past dislikes, you as a business owner/operator should give him MORE of your time and energy to make sure hes 100% happy, because THAT will reflect well with other people. Because if you go the extra mile to make sure hes happy with something like a MAF Trap or similar, maybe he'll buy again. Why do you think places like Lindsey and Vitesse are still around? Because they act mature and dont tell customers to **** off, even if they may really really want to.

If he refused to pay, or sent items back broken, or something like that, youd have a good reason to say no. But if he simply returned items and everything was square, then he has as much right to buy again in the future as I do buying for the first time.

Business 101, hell not even Business, thats really Common Sense 101.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:34 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Thanks Brian and Big J.

I think I will fab up a mock one to test it, maybe in cardboard or SS. That should give me a good idea on whether it influences temps or not. With all the data LR has on other products, it make me wonder why they dont have temp data on this product. I think I know the answer already! But it will be good to get data on it and be objective about it.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:01 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NZ,
Ive got the headlight duct waiting to be installed. I was going to custom make a heat shield because I really dont like removing the headlights. I cant stand having to realign the headlights. When I got the headlight cover, I had to send it in to get it reprimed. They did a horrible job of priming it. Im getting my car repainted in a couple weeks so Ill let you know how it goes...as far as temp goes, I wont know, I dont have any temp gauges.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:18 PM
hmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of the headline duct has anyone done a cold air duct from the inner guard to the factory air intake hole? would be a bit cheaper?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:26 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

hmd are you talking about fromt the inner fender well? If so this would be a pretty interesting thought and might be worth a try. Pulling intake air from the inner well was done from the factory for a reason. Although the hole rain issue become apparent. I like my hard pipe cone element up higher that way i dont have to worry about it. I flooded one of my NA engines back in the day during a flash flood storm trying to get home. I lifted off the throttle once.....once and I was like oh ****...sure enough it started to sputter and boom...gone. Had to sit for several hours before I could restart it.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:47 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Good point Derek,

I dont much want to do that with the head lights... I suspect the most benefit (if any) would come from the side wall where the pipe would pass through. I get the car back on Friday, so I will look at making something up next week sometime.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:58 AM
hmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big john,

That's what I mean, inner fender ducting, may be we could route some cold air from the front.
I haven't had a look to see if there is any front air passage from the front of the car that you can pick up or not, driving through flood is another issue.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:01 AM
NZ951
Race Director

There is some room to make some ducting there... but I am not sure how much it will add especially when leaves and dust gets picked up and directed straight at the filter...
Old 12-15-2004, 08:41 PM
NZ951
Race Director

OK UPDATE:

As some of you know I have an intake temp sensor in my IC pipe now, I built a sealed box around the cavity with the K&N filter behind the headlight to test if the concept works. This included extruded rubber gaskets to seal the hood and the pipe where it passed through the box. AND... No change in temps with the box in place and with it out resulted. It was tested on the same day and used the 968 ambient temp gauge as a basis to measure and the link to record intake temps. This was true at cruising speeds and on high boost runs...

Quick Reply: You wont believe this, but I want a Lindsey Racing product! MAF Trap, experiences?