theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 944J
Blook book price between two consumers for a "fair" 1986 944 Turbo is $2,730

good condition is $3,220

excellent condition $3,625
Blue book on these cars means **** all. Its the same thing for Toyota MR2s. Its the same for other cars.

Supply and demand. If you find a 951 for $2kUSD, youre going to have to dump 5 or 10 times that much INTO it after purchase for it to be called a Porsche 944 Turbo again. Or MORE.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:47 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are all good ways to get the price down more... and are EASY to fix

drain the water...

fix the damage...

fix the cam cover gasket...

align the wheels...

so the oil pressure was too high? hangin at 4-5 sounds good?

fix the interior for $100...

I've seen 951's for sale for $25k and their interiors look no better than my $500 944na that I put a little TLC into... all these cars are OLD.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:50 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

The Blue Book prices are based solely on a fixed depreciation rate from the list price back when it was new. They are NOT a good representation of the fair market value.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:52 PM
944J
Banned

yeah that burgundy/maroon 951 looks bad, but with some TLC would look a lot better... I dont like the white guages...
Old 11-17-2004, 06:58 PM
alexands
Pro

I think someone else summed it up; "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche"
Old 11-17-2004, 07:00 PM
9five1
Pro

Trust me it drove like ****, it was just a bad car.. You buy one in good running shape, or you buy one that needs some work, but in the end you pay the same.

They all cost 7-10K +, it just depends on where you spend it.
~Eric
Old 11-17-2004, 07:44 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

those are all good ways to get the price down more... and are EASY to fix

drain the water...

fix the damage...

fix the cam cover gasket...

align the wheels...

so the oil pressure was too high? hangin at 4-5 sounds good?

fix the interior for $100...

I've seen 951's for sale for $25k and their interiors look no better than my $500 944na that I put a little TLC into... all these cars are OLD.
Do you really think that those are the ONLY problems? Ok, so how was it driven, maybe it had loads of clutch drops. So the drivetrain will be in sorry shape. Its safe to assume it never had an on time oil, coolant, or transaxle change, at least not in a long time. Stored outside, so rust might be forming.

Now lets see what most likely need replacing: Ball joints, tie rods, numerous bushings, belts, rollers, waterpump, every fluid in the car, every filter in the car, get the injectors cleaned, sounds like it needs a new or a rebuilt starter, prolly new ground cables, new exhaust and thus new gaskets (I spent $150+ CDN on the exhaust gaskets for my car), full tune up so plugs, wires, cap/rotor, coil, battery, TPS, brake pads, hoses, parking brake shoes, fuel lines, now lets assume more hidden problems, bad oil pressure sensor maybe, power steering leaks, oil leaks, failing clutch and brake hydraulics, numerous old coolant hoses, old crappy radiator that is no longer up to the task, being a turbo car it would have numerous vacuum hoses to replace, a worn wastegate, prolly a dying turbo, easily double the coolant hoses, and extra electric waterpump, more sensors, and more parts which are more expensive than youd expect. Then assuming mileage, things like CV joints are becoming due, clutch, so on a so forth.

Notice I have yet to move inside the car? In there youll have window motors that are tired, seats to refinish or replace, carpet to source out, trim bits to replace.... The list go ON AND ON.

Then theres paint dings, dents, scratches....

There is far more to a bad car than what meets the eye. Mistreating a car is like mistreating a child or a pet, you see the scars and the damage for long after. And theres more under the surface that you dont immediatly notice with a test drive or a looksy loo in a parking lot. Ever dealt with a mistreated cat? I have, several actually. Cats never get over a cruel previous home, and cars can be the same way.

Read the list above where I mention interior. Thats to a large extent the maintenance list on my car. My car has a nearly perfect interior and a great exterior and a pile of records from good previous owners. Much of what ive replaced on my car is due to its mileage, which is going to be 212k miles by monday. Much of it didnt desperatly need replacing for the car to be reliable. I replaced it anyway to be proactive. Ive spent an assload on my car, and it came from a good home and cost $8kUSD. It has never left me stranded in what is damn near to be 20k miles since Feb of this year. Thats BECAUSE it came from good homes and thats the reason why it has had no seriously major issues, just lots of little ones which ive happily fixed.

These cars are by their nature expensive. They ARE Porsches after all, through and through, no matter what numerous morons say otherwise. Look at other people here with good condition cars and what theyve replaced and done. Now, look at that $4k one mentioned, and the baggage it carries. Like I said, cars can be a lot like animals, abused kids, or screwed up woman. Do you want a hot woman with loads of baggage? A cat with loads of baggage? So why do what a car that has the same kinds of baggage?

And that $4k car wouldnt even make a proper project car. Its too expensive for whats wrong with it.

Oh hey, almost time to go home
Old 11-17-2004, 07:50 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i always think it's funny when i see people post about the great deal they got on a 951 for 4K. then a couple days later you see posts from the same folks with subjects like 'help my car is making no boost' or 'help why is my car overheating', etc. the cost of upkeep on a 951 is considerably more than on an NA, you will get what you paid for....
Old 11-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, this guy is making friends left and right. . .

I say it's possible. It's rare, but it can happen. Go get-em, stud.
But, if you reject informed advice you get from other listers, then I imagine you will receive squat for help from them in your pursuit. And, if you start calling people who are selling $4500 cars that need attention and say "I'll give you $2k and that's all . . ." you are going to get some angry responses. Some chump from Florida offered me $4500 for mine and made it sound like he was doing me a favor. I didnt find it humerous at all, rather insulting really.

You kind of sound like you know everything already, so prove it by showing us the pics when your 2K 951 comes to be rather than fronting with babble and autotrader links for 4-5K cars ("Dude, I swear it's an '84 turbo 944. . . It needs some work but it's *%#* fast, Biotch!").
Old 11-17-2004, 08:42 PM
944J
Banned

Yes, I don't have to pay a mechanic $1/minute.

Originally Posted by theedge
Do you really think that those are the ONLY problems? Ok, so how was it driven, maybe it had loads of clutch drops. So the drivetrain will be in sorry shape. Its safe to assume it never had an on time oil, coolant, or transaxle change, at least not in a long time. Stored outside, so rust might be forming.

Now lets see what most likely need replacing: Ball joints, tie rods, numerous bushings, belts, rollers, waterpump, every fluid in the car, every filter in the car, get the injectors cleaned, sounds like it needs a new or a rebuilt starter, prolly new ground cables, new exhaust and thus new gaskets (I spent $150+ CDN on the exhaust gaskets for my car), full tune up so plugs, wires, cap/rotor, coil, battery, TPS, brake pads, hoses, parking brake shoes, fuel lines, now lets assume more hidden problems, bad oil pressure sensor maybe, power steering leaks, oil leaks, failing clutch and brake hydraulics, numerous old coolant hoses, old crappy radiator that is no longer up to the task, being a turbo car it would have numerous vacuum hoses to replace, a worn wastegate, prolly a dying turbo, easily double the coolant hoses, and extra electric waterpump, more sensors, and more parts which are more expensive than youd expect. Then assuming mileage, things like CV joints are becoming due, clutch, so on a so forth.

Notice I have yet to move inside the car? In there youll have window motors that are tired, seats to refinish or replace, carpet to source out, trim bits to replace.... The list go ON AND ON.

Then theres paint dings, dents, scratches....

There is far more to a bad car than what meets the eye. Mistreating a car is like mistreating a child or a pet, you see the scars and the damage for long after. And theres more under the surface that you dont immediatly notice with a test drive or a looksy loo in a parking lot. Ever dealt with a mistreated cat? I have, several actually. Cats never get over a cruel previous home, and cars can be the same way.

Read the list above where I mention interior. Thats to a large extent the maintenance list on my car. My car has a nearly perfect interior and a great exterior and a pile of records from good previous owners. Much of what ive replaced on my car is due to its mileage, which is going to be 212k miles by monday. Much of it didnt desperatly need replacing for the car to be reliable. I replaced it anyway to be proactive. Ive spent an assload on my car, and it came from a good home and cost $8kUSD. It has never left me stranded in what is damn near to be 20k miles since Feb of this year. Thats BECAUSE it came from good homes and thats the reason why it has had no seriously major issues, just lots of little ones which ive happily fixed.

These cars are by their nature expensive. They ARE Porsches after all, through and through, no matter what numerous morons say otherwise. Look at other people here with good condition cars and what theyve replaced and done. Now, look at that $4k one mentioned, and the baggage it carries. Like I said, cars can be a lot like animals, abused kids, or screwed up woman. Do you want a hot woman with loads of baggage? A cat with loads of baggage? So why do what a car that has the same kinds of baggage?

And that $4k car wouldnt even make a proper project car. Its too expensive for whats wrong with it.

Oh hey, almost time to go home
Old 11-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

OMG...................do you even see what your writing.
You summed up all the great information into, you're going to save everything by doing it your self?
Do you even know what the parts market is like on these?
I'm a loss for words...........
Old 11-17-2004, 08:57 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

944J - I think that you should rush off and buy the cheapest 951 you can find then realise that it needs paint, wheels, tires, brakes, brake lines, fule lines, timing belt, balance belt, plugs, air/fuel/oil filter.

It will eventually run and look like a 8000 dollar car, chances are that it will cost less but it will most likely cost more and take a year to get there.

Oh, and check out the insurance costs while you are at it. It sucks wrecking a car that you have invested hundreds of hour into and not get a dime for it.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Dudes,
This guy has got to be yanking our collective chains. If not.....whoa! Is he in for a suprise. Yo J-man. Pretty much all of us here don't have to pay a mechanic a $1/minute either and that doesn't change the fact that (as was previously stated) nothing is more expensive than a "cheap" Porsche. But I'm with Matt, go find one and prove us wrong. Drive it every day and get back to us with your costs after one year.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:40 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm with Russ and the others....good luck! Let us know how you do.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:44 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I dont pay mechanics to work on my car. He and I were joking about it last night as I was picking up a new TPS, about how with all the parts ive bought THROUGH them, ive payed a few of his paycheques off.

I pay for parts, and thanks to a great shop I dont pay more than I have to, yet I would be DAMN hard pressed to find one of my bills thats less than $100. Most are more than that. The ones that are under that consist of some oil filters and bolts.

No insult, but it seems it was a TOTAL waste of my time typing out that other post for you. Go and buy the cheapest 951 you can, there ARE cheap ones out there. Expect ZERO sympathy and a freaking fsckload of "We told you so" posts when that ""deal"" of a ""cheap"" 951 leaves you on the side of some highway, or in a parking lot somewhere, because its history of poor/cheap/no maintenance caught up to it and you and you post on rennlist for help. Everyone here can post about how its a bad idea to buy a cheap 951 as a non-project car till theyre blue in the face, but if you arent going to take whats said as advice, then its not our fault.

And holy crap, this better not be a BS joke thread.

Quick Reply: looking for red 951 for ~ $2k