Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Air Fuel Ratio gauges-To wideband or not????

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 12:31 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Special Tool: DUDE, that display doesn't suite my taste and is $140+ extra. WE DID talk about just the WB unit and using the laptop for datalogging/viewing, but are you going to drive the car and have the notebook hooked up to the WB everyday (daily driver)? I guess not, always monitoring the WB is a good idea (to me) and i am looking for any alternatives. But that Zetronix sure is a great price though.........

Last edited by hosrom_951; 11-18-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:47 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Perry,
I'm well verse in electronic diy as well but looking at
the cost, I think it's better to buy a ready made product.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:48 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hey Hos,
What about the PLX M300 ? That should be o.k for you.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:13 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

J: Good to hear from you, as for the PLX M300 no data logging for boost/rpm/TPS, having a graph showing the a/f ratio vs engine load would be MUCH better than just starring at a display/gauge.

I am VERY interested and itching to get the Zeirtonix, only IF the display can be altered somehow?
Old 11-18-2004, 03:26 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Hos,
What's with the display of the Zeitronics ?
I'm actually looking deeper into the PLX M500.
It has six additional channels to datalog. I'm
looking for something which is future proof if
theres such a thing. Long term I would not have
to upgrade as I improve my other mods.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:00 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Has anyone noted or datalogged WB readings vs. EGT?? I.e. 12:1 was at 1500 13:1 was 1600, etc?

Yea, I know not super accurate and every car is a little different, just curious.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am also looking in to a WBO2 system with data-logging capabilities and came across a unit from Micro-Craft found here .

I don’t think it will win a “beauty contest”, but it has up to 12 inputs. Any comments on this?

Last edited by Laust Pedersen; 11-18-2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:51 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Hosrom, I don't have any pics but I modified my Zeitronix display to fit into my cubby hole behind a custom 968 Engineering panel. I took the display out of the enourmous case and detached the display from the circuit board. It takes up a lot less space this way and allowed me to also mount my boost controller (Greddy Profec B Spec 2) in there, along with the map switch for my SMT6 and a few other switches for things to come (WI).
PM me your email and I'll snap some photos to send to you.

BTW, I definitely voided my warranty doing this.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Datalogging is great, but to use the information you need a tuning tool. And then IMHO you're better off getting something that can datalog everything.

BTW I have the PLX300 and it works very well, and is easy to install clean.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:23 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Laust,
Hmmm is there a need for 12 inputs ?
I would imagine 6 to be more then enough.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

The more inputs, the more information you can log. The EGT logging question was asked.

With my Tech Edge, I have 4 inputs that log voltages. I currently read 2 temp sensors and a MAP sensor. I was planning on hooking up my TPS voltage to it for the 4th input. Depending on how you configure the inputs and the compiler program, you can read and display almost any signal. I could hook 4 EGT sensors into it, one in each port, record the voltages, assemble the information, and then I would have 5 plotted graphs. 4 show temp of each cylinder, the other shows A/F. Ideally, you would log RPM and MAP as well, but you're out of ports.

There are some very good loggers out there. The one that is best for me might not be for you, so be it. I don't think you can go wrong with most of the WB units listed in this thread.

The reason Tech Edge works for me is the fact that I can, and did build it on my own. There's something unique about building something yourself, it's a good feeling. The WB02 revision 4 had all the bugs worked out, added memory and button activated logging. The new TE-01 display mainboard is small enough that you can mount it pretty creatively. I am in the process of that now, among other things.

In addition to logging A/F from the $23 VW 5 wire sensor, logging 2 temp sensors mounted before and after the intercooler, logging MAP, logging TPS, and with my Road Dyno, recording RPM, Acceleration G's, HP, TQ, and Speed..... I also have control of fuel pressure via an adjustible FPR, fuel mapping with the ARC-2, outside air compensation with the factory temp sensor, selectable fuel and ignition maps with Vitesse chips. I esentially created a rolling dyno custom made for my car.

Because everything is recorded and the essential information always displayed in the car without a projectile laptop in the passenger seat, my real world dyno runs can be done safely. With eyes on the road, all I need to do is press a button, hit the gas, and enjoy the ride. Pop the button at the end of the run and continue down the road. If needed, I could pull off the road and turn a **** or 2 and run again. Back at home, after multiple runs and tweaks, I download the info from my Road Dyno and the WB02 and assemble it in my excel produced conversions. I'll be able to see what my changes did, and pick the one that suits me best.... at least for a little while.

Now I need to get the car fiished up, made legal, and then onto a real dyno to compare numbers.

Last edited by Perry 951; 11-21-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:46 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Thanks Perry,
Oh I konow that feeling too about building things yourself.
I'm heavly into diy Hi-End audio.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

J Chen,
“Perry 951” said it very well.

Essentially those of us who like to experiment or push the limits without costly consequences need as much information as possible.

Here is a list of parameters (in random order) that I would find relevant: 1) RPM, 2) Air flow, 3) Throttle position, 4) Boost (or MAP), 5) Air Fuel Ratio, 6-9) Four EGT’s, 10-11) air temperature pre and post intercooler, 12) Exhaust pressure (X-over pipe), 13) fuel pressure, 14) water injection pressure, 15) Wastegate Pressure, 16) pressure at turbo compressor intake, 17) Pressure at turbo turbine exit.

I believe that you have asked for individual EGT’s before and which also could confirm/dispel the frequent claim that the intake manifold distributes the air unevenly.

Once the experiment is over (goal is accomplished) then data logging is no longer needed, but a few of the sensors could be connected to useful instruments such as Boost, AFR, one EGT and Water Pressure (for those who use water injection).
Alternatively another goal could be set and on we go again.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:35 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

I had a quick look at that micro craft page first thought was uggghh what a horrible display.
Second thought was - will it fit in the clock hole and look a whole lot better
Old 11-20-2004, 07:54 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Laust,
Now I understand your requirements for so many channels.
Yes, individual egt readings is what I'm interested in. For
my future upgrade, I'll go standalone with facility of being
able to programme each injector pulse to equalise as well
as maximise the power output of each cylinder.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Air Fuel Ratio gauges-To wideband or not????