Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The definitive fire extinguisher thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt H
Tony - slightly OT, is your Lotus relatively cheap to maintain? I ask because you make it sound that way and I have always wanted one.
Matt - no, it's so expensive that I bought a Lancia as a second mid-engine car that would be more affordable to maintain (no joke). Everything mechanical on the Lotus routinely breaks, and mechanical parts carry Porsche-esque price tags.

But the construction of the car is relatively cheap - the entire rear compartment can be recarpeted for $40 and a sewing machine, underneath is fiberglass and plywood decking, all of which I could cobble together in the garage, like Lotus did at the factory! As you see in the picture, there's really not much to lose to whatever the fire extinguisher can spew:

The big fire risk is that the Dellortos sit right over the distributor, and a leaking o-ring or loose banjo bolt equal instant engine fire.

Okay, sorry, BACK ON TOPIC..

Again, can anyone explain the chemistry in fire extinguishers?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:53 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Sorry for the OT digression here.........

Sam, just looked at your sig. Did the Pathfinder finally bite the dust?
Im still driving it everyday, its over 226k- It began "ticking" like crazy so I ran some Lucas through it to no avail. The Disco is the replacement (Ive always wanted one, -fingers crossed-) but Im keeping the Pathfinder around just in case- we have been together too long
Old 11-16-2004, 10:56 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would be interested in a group buy as well.
Raj
Old 11-16-2004, 10:57 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I have the time available to set up a group buy but I'll help if I can.
What we need to do is find a good setup that will work in 99% of our cars and try to set up a group buy on that. I'm sure that the 911/928/914 guys would also be interested.
If we can get a good group by together it can be stickied on all the forums.
The first order of business is to find the product that works best.
A bracket that will work with stock or aftermarket seats will be needed too.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:44 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is a link to a remote system. Would this work?

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...p?pid=57&cid=7
Old 11-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete, I sent an email to BK to see if they have a bracket for 944s with aftermarket seats. It looks like the Apex system will work, but I honestly am no expert. Winslow (horsepowerfarm) has some sort of remote system in his car and we could see what he used and how to install it. Maybe you could use those magic moderator powers to "compell" him to post here? I'll post when I hear back from BK.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

I still have a Halonite fire extinguisher made by American Safety Products, nearly ten years ago. After witnessing firsthand how a hand-held halonite extinguisher coud put out a gasoline fire that several dry chemicals couldn't touch, I was sold. Sad thing is, they quit marketing Halonite. These extinguishers have a ten year warranty against leakage, even after partial use.

Well, ten years are almost up, and I'd love to find an equivalent. Who do I have to blame for this, the EPA or the GOVT?

I just found this product, from the company that previously sold Halonite...

http://www.palmer-asia.com/html/firex.htm

It's called Halotron I, and might just be what we are after.

Last edited by Got Me a Porsha; 11-16-2004 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Found new product:
Old 11-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I purchased a 5lb chem one here locally. I did it as a safety measure. 70$ for a bracket seems pretty high. I willl watch this thread and keep my chem on not mounted until you guys come up with a group buy.

What will the chem one do to whatever it sprays? I take it the non-chem one is more like halon in that it removes the fuel (oxygen) from the surounding area. Is my 5lb chem one sufficient?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:39 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a grandfathered Halon in the car and a Halotron in the garage. From my research, the two are nearly equal in effectiveness. Basically, Halon depletes the ozone far more.

http://www.illinoisfire.com/commercial.shtml#5

Mine is mounted using the BK mount for power-seats. I am using this because my BK mount for non-power seats that I had previously won't work with my Recaro SRD that took the place of the stock seat. It mounts between the rails and the floor and is stationary. The non-power seat model mounts between the seat and the rails and moves with the seat.

As far as a Firecharger or SPA setup, I think you are looking at a pretty extensive installation as well as a bulkier setup. Prices start at $225 for the Firecharger 1.0 liter street setup. If you have a dedicated track car, I think it is worth its weight in gold though.

Here are some good links:

http://www.safecraft.com/ - offer both handheld and installed solutions (halon, halotron, AFFF)
http://firecharger.com/ - installed solutions (AFFF)
http://www.spatechnique.com/fireexti...er/systems.htm - installed and handheld (halon, AFFF)

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/fire.php - mounts for every Porsche

Max
Old 11-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Ok I called the people and they will let me order a halatron one and exchange what I bought. Do you guys agree that the 2.5lb one is sufficient for an engine fire.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:20 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

What about roll cage / harness bar mounts ? Seems like it's almost easier to get to on a harness bar behind the passenger than at their feet.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I am interested as well, hoping for a lower price since this isn't the best time to be buying stuff at the moment.

Random question, can you powder coat the extinguisher. I'd rather have a non red one, and if the group buy is for a red one, I'd like to powder coat it silver or something, I just don't think it will be good after the 400 degree ovens. I also think I just answered my own question.

I'd like the mount in the front passenger area.
~Eyal
Old 11-16-2004, 07:19 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eyal, I would be very surprised if you could powdercoat a FE. They only exception being a AFFF model that is easily refillable.

If you are hellbent on a non-red FE, you can get them in polished/chrome style. Check out SafeCraft and StableEnergies.

Max
Old 11-16-2004, 07:40 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
I am interested as well, hoping for a lower price since this isn't the best time to be buying stuff at the moment.

Random question, can you powder coat the extinguisher. I'd rather have a non red one, and if the group buy is for a red one, I'd like to powder coat it silver or something, I just don't think it will be good after the 400 degree ovens. I also think I just answered my own question.

I'd like the mount in the front passenger area.
~Eyal
It would have to be empty and everything that you dont want coated removed off it... Which will prolly void all kinds of warrenties, rules, certifications, etc. It DOES hold highly compressed stuff, so IMHO it would be safer to leave it alone.

Painting would prolly be the safer route.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'll just leave it alone, and I don't like painted finishes on things like that. Red is not all bad.
~Eyal

Quick Reply: The definitive fire extinguisher thread