Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Silverstar headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004 | 01:56 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Default Silverstar headlights

My headlights looked dim and yellow. So, one day last week I noticed a Silverstar headlight displayand bought a pair on impulse. I just put them in today and they really are much whiter than the old bulbs. I know there are lots of big money options out there, but for under $50, I think these are great. They really eliminate that old car yellow headlight feel at night. Just thought I'd pass that along...
Old 11-15-2004 | 02:26 AM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Can you see the road better with them? I have been considering that small investment for quite some time, just got some criticism about them being "ricer" headlights, but if they help me see better I'll get some.
Old 11-15-2004 | 02:38 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Pics would be nice
Old 11-15-2004 | 03:13 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

offtopic I know but, btw hosrom your new avatar is cool.
Old 11-15-2004 | 05:29 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Thank's John..........

BTW (OT) how's the video comming along?
Old 11-15-2004 | 09:40 AM
j e f f x o 6 x
Intermediate

I've tried numerous amounts of bulbs, and the Silverstars are definitely the whitest light bulbs for the bang for the buck. The bulbs i'm using are the PIAA Plasma bulbs and I think they are the closest bulbs to the HID look. It gives off a hint of white and purple, and the high beams is a strong white light. Don't get me wrong, it does not look like those "ricer" super blue, super white, or hyper white bulbs which look, in my opinion, tacky... they are the affordable HID look, hehe.
Old 11-15-2004 | 10:54 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I have seen those blue-tinted bulbs used by the fast and furious crowd, and these are nothing like that. To me, they just look crisp and clean. They are sold in mainstream auto stores as factory replacements. I'll try to snap a picture tonight. They do not compete with the custom headlight upgrades out there, I'm sure, but if you need new bulbs anyway...
Old 11-15-2004 | 11:24 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

What power are you running 55W?
Old 11-15-2004 | 01:12 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

All the Silver Stars are 55/60 watt bulbs and put out 1000 lumens +/- 15%, the legal limit. Usually up towards the top 1150 legal limit, depending on the manufacturing run. They are fairly expensive for what you are actually getting as Sylvania is milking the marketing fad. Osram, Sylvania's parent is doing the same in ROW. As is Philips, GE, everyone.

The Sylvania Silver Star comes in just the bulb as well as DOT lens and bulb. Without a good lens you are sort of sunk and Sylvania doesn't make good lenses in 7" round. But they are better than most 20 year old sealed beams.
Old 11-15-2004 | 02:01 PM
flyguy
Instructor

You guys have any good suggestions on where to buy the lenses so I can use just the bulbs? I saw on place a while back, but I could buy 4 sets of sealed beams for the price of the lenses alone.

TIA,
Ian
Old 11-15-2004 | 02:22 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IceShark
All the Silver Stars are 55/60 watt bulbs and put out 1000 lumens +/- 15%, the legal limit. Usually up towards the top 1150 legal limit, depending on the manufacturing run. They are fairly expensive for what you are actually getting as Sylvania is milking the marketing fad. Osram, Sylvania's parent is doing the same in ROW. As is Philips, GE, everyone.

The Sylvania Silver Star comes in just the bulb as well as DOT lens and bulb. Without a good lens you are sort of sunk and Sylvania doesn't make good lenses in 7" round. But they are better than most 20 year old sealed beams.
They cost me $19.99 each. They replaced 18 year old sealed beams putting out about 8 lumens. Ignorance is bliss. They look like lasers to me.
Old 11-15-2004 | 02:55 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Oh, Tom, 19.99 a copy is a real ripoff. I'm selling the Osram/Phillips/GE European 50% ones (all the same, basically, if you stay away from the blue tint that cuts down light output) for $15 @ now. But you got better bulbs than those 18 year old sealed beams you had so be happy with them as they are OK bulbs for legal wattage.

Ian, if you are going to go with the best European Code lenses they are going to cost well over $100 a pair without bulbs and shipping. That is just the way it is, especially with the US$ going into the crapper over the last couple years. Go to http://www.gururacing.net and click on lighting and you can see the differences with good lenses and bulbs.

I sell the Cibies for $115 a pair if you want some. And I actually have them in stock.
Old 11-15-2004 | 07:43 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Mmmmm Cibies? Are they the E-Codes? I'm dying to get a pair of those...maybe for Christmas!

IceShark, while you're here, I am looking for a brighter headlight bulb to use in my Mustang. I went with the "smoked" headlamp assemblies, which look great at the shows, but light output is worse then the already "terrible" factory oblong housing. Why are the aerodynamic headlights so poor?

I believe the bulb is a 9004. Can you steer me toward a decent upgrade bulb?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2004 | 08:26 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Kevin, Yup, the Cibies are E-Code and I have them in both left and right hand driving.

For your Mustang I think I may be able to get either a boosted bulb, which may not do much depending on what you already have in there, or I think they may make an 80/100 watt bulb. I'd have to check to see if that is still available as I've never ordered them - just recall a discussion about them at SEMA. But these overwatt bulbs probably wouldn't work for you as you have DOT plastic lenses and you will probably blind other drivers and/or melt some plastic.

Most aerodynamic lenses in North America are so poor because they are DOT Code, plastic (which doesn't hold up too well as a lens), and the manufacturers seem to care less how well the damn things work. You might want to check out the E-Code lenses for the car and see if they have them in glass. A lot of the cars that are for export to Europe had glass E-Code lenses rather than the plastic DOT ones. If you have a '93 that may have been in glass over there. If they are, get ready to open your wallet real wide because they usually cost a small fortune.
Old 11-16-2004 | 01:30 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I realized when I posted this, that it was like praising wine-in-a-box on a wine connoisseur forum. I like my $20 headlights anyway. Iceshark, if you had a website maybe you could have saved me from getting ripped off. j/k

Quick Reply: Silverstar headlights