Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 07:44 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John: Will do i gess

UK952: When you said:

The KKK turbo has a reputation for leaking a little oil thats why the hard pipes intercooler get oily.

Actually, they use as little oil as possible. Far less than the Garrette ones (according to TonyG's experiments). Oil in the IC pipes are blowby basically, that goes in the whole system (intake manifold, intercooler, vacuum hoses, j-pipe etc).
Old 11-28-2004, 04:40 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As little oil as possible for what?
Tony
Old 11-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THe Porsche manual says that up to 1-qt of oil-consumption every 1000km is "normal". Oliver (pinkpank) was going through something like 10-quarts a day on the track!
Old 11-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone pointed that one out to me the other day - very suprising. I still find it hard to believe ANY oil consumption is considered "normal" though. . .
Old 11-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danno
THe Porsche manual says that up to 1-qt of oil-consumption every 1000km is "normal".
While, yes, I know the owner's manual states this, it's honestly one hell of a scary statistic.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:08 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

But the manual doesn't state if that oil consumtion of for on/off boost

Off boost, i do 6,000kms/1qt

On boost, well i never REALLY measured it, i ALWAYS top off the oil when it reached 1/2 way between max and min to be on the safe side. But i would guess it would be something like 1qt/3,000 (or more).
Old 12-13-2004, 12:35 AM
faithless
Pro

Hosrom,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I drove a white 951 a week ago and it had this EXACT same symptom. We were driving the **** out of it on a test drive to see how well it could take it. My Dad was driving and opened it up full in fourth gear, and the boost shot up and just got choked off and then steadily came back up. I thought about it for a while, and I figured it must have to do with the CV, because nothing else could cause the boost to suddenly choke like that.

I think porschhhh is right tho. This 951 had the Autothority chips... It must be overboost protection due to the chip giving it more power. My only other theory was that it might be a sticky wastegate... Wastegate not coming off the seat gradually, causing too much boost and triggering a huge CV diversion to the diaphram which would open it so greatly... Then it slowly closes back and boost rises.

To answer your previous question about testing the CV. I suppose the best way would be to connect into the line a pressure gauge. There should be no pressure to very little at lower rpms, then as the engine nears redline the valve would continue to divert more pressure. If you disconnect power to the CV, it will return to fully closed. This diverts maximum pressure through the valve which causes the wastegate to then open at only 1.2 bar total manifold.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:37 AM
faithless
Pro

So I guess, like porschhh said, swap back your chips. If that is not it, try and swap a wastegate with a buddy that has a turbo with no bad symptoms...
Old 12-13-2004, 12:43 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Faithless: I am running stock chips, i replaced the coil and the problem is solved it was ignition related thanks for helping!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:47 AM
faithless
Pro

REALLY? Are you 100% on that? I can't believe it didnt have anything to do with the turbo.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:37 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

im boosting daily problem went away. The thing is, there was a stumble at ~2,000rpm OFF boost but nearing 1bar (factory boost gauge).

I tested the coil from Clarks Garage and found it faulty. Replaced it with a used one from my wrecked NA and problem solved

I knew this wasn't overboosting because last winter it drove fine and in colder weather, i actually took off everything that touched the turbocharger and found the blads still fine, spinning freely etc. so i suspected either electrical/fuel problem or finally overboosting.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:51 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Danno here...

Boost can cause marginal ignition systems to act up. The denser mixture under boost and high-RPMs require a hotter spark. So a semi-faulty ignition system may be sufficient to operate in mid-range/partial-throttle conditions, but under full-throttle/high-boost, it won't be able to ignite the mixture. THus the problems Hussam was having..

Quick Reply: Overboosting? What to check?