Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF - ARCII - POS issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:19 AM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

J- Chen I don't know the inlet size, I just know the standard J-boot wouldn't not fit on it when we reassembled the car.

Hosrom. I just have a stock wastegate. I have the Tial but haven't mounted it. I'm not sure if my CV has been bypassed. I doubt it. What problems does this cause?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:26 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Club,
If I'm not mistaken, the TO4E has a 2.75 inch inlet.
What you need to do is to purchase a reducer
silicone pipe from 2.75 down to 2 inch. This way,
you can use the whole Huntley set-up without
having to turn the MAF 90 degrees like what you're
doing now.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:51 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J Chen
Hi Club,
If I'm not mistaken, the TO4E has a 2.75 inch inlet.
What you need to do is to purchase a reducer
silicone pipe from 2.75 down to 2 inch. This way,
you can use the whole Huntley set-up without
having to turn the MAF 90 degrees like what you're
doing now.
I don't have the whole set up
Old 11-14-2004, 02:04 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hey Club,
I presume the present setting is custom made
right ? Why not mod it to get the MAF facing the
other side instead of a 90 degree bend ?
Old 11-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Black Arrow
Racer

Is it ok to breath the crankcase oil like this? No place where the oil stays, but just will flow thrue the filter at the end of the crankcase hose. Doesnt this make alot of oilmess under the hood?

Old 11-14-2004, 08:46 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tma§951
Is it ok to breath the crankcase oil like this? No place where the oil stays, but just will flow thrue the filter at the end of the crankcase hose. Doesnt this make alot of oilmess under the hood?

Eclou said earlier in this thread it would cause a lot of leaks. After 30 miles of driving, I think he was right....
Old 11-14-2004, 09:11 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Club,
I don't think that will cause leaks as that is the crank
breather. Some of the listers here are running a catch
can & venting to the atmo. On the Huntley set up, theres
a short tube measuring about 5 long & 2 inches in ID
that connects between the turbo & the MAF sensor. There
are 3 lines thats suppose to be connected to this tube namely
crankcase breather, fuel purge & boost relieve valve. All you
need now is to make this pipe & get 2 reducer silicone boots
& you're home free.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:57 AM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

1st and foremost, I have driven the car and it is very quick and very addictive. I have a crappy boost controller, a stock wastegate and some other issues that keep my from doing hard acceleration. But from what I can tell, it's very quick.

I used the fuel pressure setting John @ Vitesse suggested and the ARC2 settings that Eclou told me to use and that did the trick very nicely. After 10 minutes of driving the car still runs great but then the ARM1 starts showing that I'm running way lean. I try to richen it up and my mechanic and I can clearly tell by the exhaust, the sound and the smell that it's running too rich when I do turn it up. Yet the guage stays in the red. I think the guage is almost useless. I also think ARC2 is not for me and will figure out what it takes to get it out.

The car make a marble in a can sound that we could not track down. The power steering unit is leaking so we thought it was it. Cut the belt - noise still there. We now think its the alternator as the noise goes away when ever you put a load on the electrical system. If I hold the power window switch down after the window is down the noise just about stops. Or if I put the fan on high and the rear defroster on, the noise goes away.

My biggest concern right now and main issue is I do have oil leaks from mulitple locations now. Some from the crank case ventilation and some from yet to be determined areas.

Overall, I can't believe what a money pit the car has turned in to. I keep getting tempted to buy these low mileage 89's out there and take my beating like a man on selling mine. Driving it Saturday was awesome. Even just sitting in it and looking through the side mirrors at the flared fender is pretty cool...
Old 11-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
I think the guage is almost useless.
Incorrect, it IS useless.

Sam
Old 11-15-2004, 07:15 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J Chen
Hi Club,
There
are 3 lines thats suppose to be connected to this tube namely
crankcase breather, fuel purge & boost relieve valve. All you
need now is to make this pipe & get 2 reducer silicone boots
& you're home free.
Who could make such a pipe?
Old 11-28-2004, 04:26 PM
cjb3
Rennlist Member

Alex---I am venting to a catch can and found that when the oil is above the high mark there is significant amount of oil found in the can after a 20 minute run at the track----I found that this did not happen when it was not over filled. This all started after installing new rings. Also, I do not have any leaks and the car has been set up like this for quite some time.

Regarding the pipe fabrication---any local exhaust shop can do it for next to nothing---might not be pretty but what the heck!!

Oh yeah---------------the ARM 1=POS
Old 11-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
1bar = 14.7psi (roughly), so 45psi.
Actually 14.7psi = 1ATM, 1 BAR is 14.5 psi. But 45 is close, 43.5 is correct. The difference is probably insignificant.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:23 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey if you ever want a hand, come stop by. Ive got the Arc also. I just finished installing all that stuff so Im pretty familier with it. I also have an extra alternator along with a PS rack. PM if you wanna come by.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:09 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Fistly, delete the venturi setup you have... thats dangerous. The tuning toold you have are next to useless. As someone suggested, you need it WB tuned, likely on a dyno. If its running rich now, I am not sure why upping the fuel pressure would help.

EDIT: I think you are suffering from not enough knowledge about the mods and car generally at the moment (which is totally fine). Probably got some average to bad advice and you are in a state about its current running issues. Go to your nearest 944 tuner (if possible) and get them to correct some of the obvious problems, tuning and under manifold junk. I say go to a 944 / Porsche tuning orientated shop because they should know what they are doing and you can start on a clean platform and mod from there is desired.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:40 AM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

A little update. I actually have the car running very well - or I did before I took it apart. What I thought was an alternator actually turned out to be a loose crank pulley. The pulley that is inboard of the powersteering pulley on the crank was able to move about a 1/2" in any direction. The 4 6mm bolts that attach that pulley to the timing belt cog were too long and someone overtightended them. I took 3 out and 2 were longer than one. The 4th one's head snapped off when I took it off, so now I have the shaft of the bolt stuck in there. I also suspect that the shorter of the 3 bolts was originally the same length and I have a little bit of it still in the timing belt crank pulley/cog. I ordered an alternator and A/C delete bracket. I know I'm sending the alternator back unless someone else needs one. Once I get this resolved - I'll decide if I'm going to get a new MAF set up. I will have the car on the dyno for some tuning once everything else is addressed.

NZ - what do you mean by the venturi set up? And yes I am certainly in the learning process about these cars in general. Finally having it home and working on these things myself has really helped me understand the car a lot better.

Quick Reply: MAF - ARCII - POS issues