Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Update with pics: Headgasket/Oil Cooler/Waterpump job

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 05:23 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,
Sorry I had to duck out early last week. The fiance was happy to see me come home in one piece. Let me just say, pictures do not do this engine justice. It is good to see you got a lot of progress done after I split. Did you get your tming and cam belts on? I still want a ride before it snows to wet my appetite!!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 05:25 PM
chapstic951
Pro

...BTW, you have inspired me to tackle the WFHG. Wish me luck.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:50 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Steve, thanks again, I don't think I would have gotten half as much done without you there. Its really motivating having another person around. That said, when you are ready to tackle your headgasket, let me know and I'll return the favor.
I got a ton done yesterday on Veteran's day, but not without issue. Finally got my EGT fitting welded onto my #4 exhaust header, got the headers re-wrapped and installed. Got the cam cover on, got the belts on, replaced ALL the coolant lines, installed the new expansion tank. Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to be tensioning the belts and putting the intake manifold back on. There's not much more after that! (KISS Oil cooler is probably the biggest project I have left) I've been practicing using the Kriket but could really use a pointer or two if you have time - If I remember right you have done that, any tips?

The motor looks great with the new cam cover and expansion tank, but it really makes me want to replace my brake fluid resevoir. I might do that sometime this winter.
I also got the heat sheild made for underneath my intake manifold. It came out pretty well.
I wanted to take some pictures, but my camera was giving me card read errors and I didn't have another memory card handy so I didn't. Hopefully tonight I will. Also, my cell phone crapped out on me yesterday, which really sucks because I think Eric was going to stop by but probably couldn't get ahold of me. So tonight I have to replace my cell phone. Great.

Anyway, thanks again, and check back here later this weekend for some more pics.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:08 PM
9five1
Pro

I would love to come watch the Kriket in action before I tackle mine.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:26 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
Hey Steve, thanks again, I don't think I would have gotten half as much done without you there. Its really motivating having another person around. That said, when you are ready to tackle your headgasket, let me know and I'll return the favor.
I got a ton done yesterday on Veteran's day, but not without issue. Finally got my EGT fitting welded onto my #4 exhaust header, got the headers re-wrapped and installed. Got the cam cover on, got the belts on, replaced ALL the coolant lines, installed the new expansion tank. Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to be tensioning the belts and putting the intake manifold back on. There's not much more after that! (KISS Oil cooler is probably the biggest project I have left) I've been practicing using the Kriket but could really use a pointer or two if you have time - If I remember right you have done that, any tips?

The motor looks great with the new cam cover and expansion tank, but it really makes me want to replace my brake fluid resevoir. I might do that sometime this winter.
I also got the heat sheild made for underneath my intake manifold. It came out pretty well.
I wanted to take some pictures, but my camera was giving me card read errors and I didn't have another memory card handy so I didn't. Hopefully tonight I will. Also, my cell phone crapped out on me yesterday, which really sucks because I think Eric was going to stop by but probably couldn't get ahold of me. So tonight I have to replace my cell phone. Great.

Anyway, thanks again, and check back here later this weekend for some more pics.

Check the tension over and over again, so that it shows the same tension a bunch of times in a row.

If youre a bit paranoid, or like me prefer to play it safe, take the car to a shop for a plain old belt retension after its all together and youve done it with the kricket. Thats how I did it, and it turns out I was rather accurate, I was abou 2 pounds over IIRC, and I intentionally set it a bit tight.

Kinda cool having a supercharger-esque whine AND the turbocharger whine
Old 11-12-2004, 03:06 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Originally Posted by theedge
Check the tension over and over again, so that it shows the same tension a bunch of times in a row.

If youre a bit paranoid, or like me prefer to play it safe, take the car to a shop for a plain old belt retension after its all together and youve done it with the kricket. Thats how I did it, and it turns out I was rather accurate, I was abou 2 pounds over IIRC, and I intentionally set it a bit tight.

Kinda cool having a supercharger-esque whine AND the turbocharger whine
I agree. It is worth the extra few bucks to ensure your belts are done right and ready to drive for the next 30k w/o incident. Also, when you do the balance shaft belt, double and triple check that the sprockets do not become misaligned when you are doing the belt tensioning. It is a PITA and can be very anoying at higher RPM's. Not to mention bad on the motormounts etc....
Old 11-14-2004, 03:53 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Just posting a pic of the new cam...

Old 11-14-2004, 04:09 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

944 Fanatic - What kind of gauges are those exactly? Have not seen them before, very nice! Also, what are the little red buttons aside the gauges? I am thinking maybe they turn them on and off, and if so, that is a great idea!

Thanks!

Chris

EDIT: By the way, great work!
Old 11-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the gauges are SPA and the red buttons let you access the menu and program the gauges to set the alarms, color, warning light - a long list of options.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:37 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice indeed
Old 11-15-2004, 03:01 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Gents! Got my timing belt tensioned this weekend. Was about to tension the balance belt when I realized that I lost the bolt that holds the balance belt tensioner on. So thats on order (D'OH!), along with a few other things, including a custom cubby hole panel for my Zeitronix, my Greddy Profec B spec2, and a few other goodies. My brithday is Friday, and if I work hard enough, there is a slim chance that I might be starting her up for the first time on my B-day. Talk about a hard-won birthday present.

Question:
I'm in the middle of installing all of the sensors for those purty SPA and Zeitronix gauges. I have the boost sensor, the air temp sensor, the EGT sensor, the other boost sensor, and the Wideband O2 installed. I have yet to install the oil temp sensor (though I think I have the placement of that sensor figured out) and the coolant temp sensor. I want to view the temperature of coolant that the motor is actually being fed. Does anyone have a diagram on how the coolant flows through the motor? Failing that, can anyone just tell me?
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2004, 03:06 PM
9five1
Pro

Paul -
The car looks great, and I am going to be looking for a set of those purdy gauges myself.

Sorry I couldn't make it out this weekend, I was out of town. But I am definitely up for wrenching any time this week (machine shop says another week and a half until my engine is ready)

What product did you use to wrap your headers with?

~Eric
Old 11-15-2004, 03:17 PM
chapstic951
Pro

I am not sure how Clark is on copyrights so I will not cut and paste. In his "garage shop manual" there is a cooling system section, "Flow Diagram and Description - Turbocharged 944." That should show you what you need.

Happy Birthday and good luck with turning it over. If I can, I will try to stop by and listen.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:35 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve, thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Eric, I'll be working on the car every night this week. No federal holidays to give me a whole day...I wish! You're welcome to stop by any night this week. And Steve that goes for you too. If things are looking good come Thursday night, I'll throw a post up here to let you know.
I'm going to Myrtle Beach golfing for a week, leaving this Saturday. I'm really hoping to have a running Porsche by then, but if not, the work waits until I return.

As a side note, I'm going to be throwing a "belt tensioning party" at my house on Sat Dec 4th. My belts will hopefully be done tonight or tomorrow, so that day would be for anyone who wants to drop by and check or replace their belts. The more the merrier. Steve if you feel like dropping by I'm sure we could use a second set of tools for that. I'm really hoping my car is running by then.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:41 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Eric, Sorry forgot to answer your question. The header wrap is similar to what you would get from DEI, but twice as thick. I bought it on ebay, can't remember the name of the vendor. I'll look and get back to you.

Quick Reply: Update with pics: Headgasket/Oil Cooler/Waterpump job