Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Non-Dexron based Power Steering Fluid thoughts/questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 06:38 PM
z3bra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Dexron based Power Steering Fluid thoughts/questions.

Just wondering if anyone has toyed with the idea of using something other than Dexron II/III for PS fluid. I know there's the Redline synthetic stuff which is relatively easy to get and should be fine with the seals unless they're at the point they'd be leaking real soon anyay.

I was thinking about maybe grabbing some Mil-H-5606 aircraft hydraulic fluid as it's pretty cheap at about $5.00/quart and has pretty similar although slightly lighter viscosity than Dexron. It's also pretty easy to source as commercially available stuff that meets the standard is used in a bunch of hydraulic equipment.

It has a higher viscosity index and stays thinner to a lot lower temperatures than Dexron does but thins out a little more at the 100 degree C point. The pour point of -60 degrees is nice and all, but pretty much a non-issue for me living in Phoenix as the day pour point becomes an issue here is pretty synonymous with the day hell freezes over. All in all it's reasonably close and in fact the slightly lower viscosity would be a good thing for preventing cavitation in the pump itself.

The benefits I see using the 5606 or another straight hydraulic fluid are that Dexron has a bunch of other crap in it like friction modifiers that really don't need to be in a hydraulic fluid but do need to be in an ATF for the wet clutches in an automatic transmission. Since contaminants are usually what cause the seals in a hydraulic system to die and 5606 is designed to be "clean" it seems like it might make a good match.

Another alternate would be the newer Mil-H-83282 which is just a synthetic base stock version of 5606 with a little better anti-wear characteristics, fire resistance, a higher flash point, and a slower evaporation rate. It costs a little more and isn't as readily available as 5606 is though. On paper it's actually quite similar to the Redline synthetic PS fluid.

Something like Skydrol would be out of the question because of incompatibility with the seals as it's a phosphate ester type fluid, it's also nasty stuff to get on your skin whereas the 5606 and 83282 are pretty harmless unless you take a bath in them or find a way to get some equally unlikely amount of contact.

There's also stuff like the Pentosin 11S that the newer Porsches use that should work fine but tends to be a little tough to source and for what it is seems overly expensive.

Just wondering if anyone's ever tried anything other than the Dexron and had any feedback on their experiences with it. It's probably worrying too much about PS fluid really but if it makes rack leaks happen less frequently it can't be a bad thing entirely. Dexron obviously works ok, but it seems like there might be some better choices out there for the job.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:53 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That's pretty cool info - I've run standard PS fluid before I knew our cars used ATF, but didn't pay much attention to seal life because in each car the seals were toast when I got the car.

Sam
Old 11-07-2004, 01:59 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be honest, any expansive hydraulic fluid that doesnt eat the seals should work just fine.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Redshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using Mercedes-Benz Power Steering Fluid. A good friend of mine is a Mercedes technician and he recommends this stuff. It's honey colored (no red dye), has a mineral odor similar to ATF, but without all the uncessary additives. The only drawback is the cost: about $11 a quart at the Mercedes dealership. I will say that it is good stuff; the steering is smooth and quiet with no signs of leaks after three years on my rebuilt rack.

Quick Reply: Non-Dexron based Power Steering Fluid thoughts/questions.