Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo cold starting problem... any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004 | 07:58 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Turbo cold starting problem... any ideas?

I have been having a blast with the 86 turbo lately but it has a bit of a cold start problem. It had to crank and crank and then it finally kicks over and dies. Hit the key again and it idles rough and when you give it gas it dies. Hit the key again and it cranks up and runs fine. Drive it around a while and turn it off and it starts up fine again. Its just when its cold

I replaced the water temp sender in the head, checked all the vac lines and the timing is spot on. The only thing else I can think of is the air temp sender in the AFM. Before I go switching out AFMs is there anything else you guys can think of to check first?
Old 10-28-2004 | 08:07 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Could be loosing fuel pressure? the fuel pump check valve? i replaced mine with same symptoms and solved my problem.
Old 10-28-2004 | 08:09 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I did think of that so I pulled off the lines after the car had been sitting over night and there was still fuel all the way up to and in the rail.
Old 10-28-2004 | 08:13 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

You may have fuel, but do you have pressure?

I found this on clarks-garage, you may find a few things here useful regarding cold start issues:http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-15.htm
Old 10-28-2004 | 09:45 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Leaky fuel injectors? Pull the rail, and put a piece of paper in a baggy and wrap each injector and see if any fluid collects in the bag overnight....or the paper will discolor if not fuel is seen. Also check your FPR.
Old 10-28-2004 | 10:37 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Cleaned and ballanced fuel injectors in there already.
Old 10-28-2004 | 10:58 PM
User 41221
Banned

Pull your plugs when its cold and sniff for fuel or antifreeze. Look the plugs over as well, if one or more of them are whitish Any puffs of smoke out the tailpipe? Loss of coolant? I'm thinking a possible slow leaking headgasket, if its not fuel related.

I'm kinda grabbing at straws here, can you give any additional details?

Regards,
Old 10-28-2004 | 11:04 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

FPR check that. I had something like you are saying but it was only overnight wasn't even cool here during the summer lol. Replaced it with a used unit and it was fine. Mine would crank then start and die then restarted fine.
Old 10-28-2004 | 11:18 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I have a bunch of extra parts here so I am just going to start replacing. Going to start with the AFM (because I have a new one on hand) then move to the FPR.
I am not loosing coolant and there is absolutely no smoke at all. I have a feeling its the air temp sensor in the AFM but I was just fishing a little for some other ideas before I get into it.
Tomorrow is dedicated to prepping the NA for the autox this weekend so I will probably get something worked out next week sometime with the turbo. I will let you guys know what I come up with. Any other ideas in the mean time would be much appreciated. I have a small list of things to check but I know there are probably some I am overlooking.
Old 10-29-2004 | 01:02 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

I have the same problem, so I would like to know as well.
Old 10-29-2004 | 01:11 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was having the same problems and told it was the idle stabilizer. I replaced it and went to a MAF at the same time, so I don't know if it was the stabilzer or the temp sensor but no more problems.

Quick Reply: Turbo cold starting problem... any ideas?