Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Show your 951 pics here......

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
They are. These are heavy EYEtalian remakes...which is why a lot of people thought Doug shouldn't get them.

That said, for looks, they aren't too bad. IMHO they look "heavy" on our cars, but not too bad.

I have some new pics coming soon. I got some work done on my Nautic Blue 87.
Yea the weight is a big drawback, but they are cheap. And I like the look.

And it is not like I will be tracking this car, that's why I may or may not have an 84 with track duty in mind....
Old 04-07-2010, 02:50 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DRifta put some bigger wheels on his 86, but needed pretty big spacers, and he said he could really feel the weight. It's something to consider, as I think that the big spacers, along with the wheels were probably close to what these weigh.

Just something to consider. Street cars already understeer a lot.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 AM
pocket_rocket
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug,

These wheels look fantastic on your car. Whoda thunk
Who cares how heavy they are if you are really more concerned with looks.

Its not like those that want looks for daily driving could not have dedicated track wheels and tires. Looking into these myself for "Ginger" my favorite red..
Old 04-07-2010, 03:02 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

DRifta put some bigger wheels on his 86, but needed pretty big spacers, and he said he could really feel the weight. It's something to consider, as I think that the big spacers, along with the wheels were probably close to what these weigh.

Just something to consider. Street cars already understeer a lot.
True. It felt like I was driving a dump truck.

Wheels were late offset style Kenisis K28 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 with low profile tires. Spacers were 1.5" and 2" aluminum with studs.

The Kenisis wheels are rather light weight for their size, but the car just felt real heavy and cumbersome while accelerating and turning with them on the car. This is compared to the 17x7.5 and 17x9 Cup I reps with same spacers that I am used to. Maybe it was the tires, who knows.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

On the turbo or the NA?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

sorry... 86 turbo.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pocket_rocket
Doug,

Its not like those that want looks for daily driving could not have dedicated track wheels and tires. Looking into these myself for "Ginger" my favorite red..
Think of it this way. Yep! They do look good, but on the track no one is inadvertantly trying to kill your ***.

So going a bit slow on the thrack just makes you a bit slow. Bad response on the street could well get you DEAD!

just sayin' YMMV
Old 04-07-2010, 08:24 AM
pocket_rocket
Advanced

Think of it this way. Yep! They do look good, but on the track no one is inadvertantly trying to kill your ***.

So going a bit slow on the thrack just makes you a bit slow. Bad response on the street could well get you DEAD!

just sayin' YMMV
I hear you and appreciate your opinion but don't agree that these wheels would "get you DEAD!" Thats a little dramatic for me.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I hear you and appreciate your opinion but don't agree that these wheels would "get you DEAD!" Thats a little dramatic for me.
The slower you react, the less chance that you have to compensate for a bad situation. The faster you react, the more time you have to make a GOOD decision. The bottom line is the same on the street, track and battlefield.
Do what ya want, your not in my Regiment.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Doug,

Sounds like somebody should be driving a Camero.....
Old 04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
pocket_rocket
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris White
So what you are saying is that they guy that bought these should have bought a Camaro just because he is not fearful of death because he purchased wheels that are a little heavy for the street?

If its not your choice of wheel then so be it.. but thats just stupid to say something like that. Almost as stupid as spelling Camaro wrong.

Say what you want.. but his car his choice.. Just like everyone else on this board.
I guess those who disagree will just have to agree to continue to disagree. Not changing my mind over a few lbs per wheel for daily or weekend use.
I appreciate you showing everyone your true colors with that awesome comment though.. You are so cool.

The sky is not falling folks.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

So what you are saying is that they guy that bought these should have bought a Camaro just because he is not fearful of death because he purchased wheels that are a little heavy for the street?

If its not your choice of wheel then so be it.. but thats just stupid to say something like that. Almost as stupid as spelling Camaro wrong.

Say what you want.. but his car his choice.. Just like everyone else on this board.
I guess those who disagree will just have to agree to continue to disagree. Not changing my mind over a few lbs per wheel for daily or weekend use.
Sure do appreciate you showing everyone your true colors with that awesome comment though.. You are so cool.

The sky is not falling folks.
I have never hidden from my true colors…

I really like the 944 for its handling and performance capabilities along with the remarkable engineering for the time when it was produced. It also looks nice too…but when somebody makes modifications that will detract from the performance strictly for that sake of appearance then I find that to be an affront to the basic design philosophy.

Aesthetics are a case of what each individual likes – while that can be debated you can’t dictate somebody else’s tastes (BTW – I think the wheels are good looking – but that’s not the point here!). Performance, on the other hand, is not like aesthetics – it can be measured and agreed upon. In this case even you agreed that it will detract for performance – and therefore I can’t agree with it! It contradicts the design intent of the car – good handling. I don’t care if it’s for daily, weekend or whatever use – it still detracts from the performance.

As you say – to each his/her own. But that does not mean that I won’t make a comment when I see something that contradicts the ethos the Porsche built in to the 944. “Decorate” it as you wish – but if you detract from the performance you really should, in my opinion, be playing with a different toy….you are missing the point of the 944…

PS - the spelling was for the sake of 'afect'.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
There are 2 in the garage.

I think I am still going to pick these rims up.

Worst case is I hate them and I find a VW owner who wants them.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I lawl'd
Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, they are damn heavy, weighed it on a scale and they're 27 lbs for the fronts and 31lbs for the rears but these are definitely not for the track. I have my Work Meister S1's for that

It's a Euro Spec 944 Turbo and the city is Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Quick Reply: Show your 951 pics here......