Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Erratic idle.....vid inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 02:32 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Erratic idle.....vid inside

i had a leaky intake gasket,you could see the fuel stains.so i decided to check it out...i pull the dme relay to depressurize the fuel system and i start taking off the fuel rail.i didnt take off the manifold and just lossened all the bolts to get a good look at the #1 intake gasket.it seemed like i just needed to retorque it so i did.put everything back together and when i started iti get this erratic idle,just like my uncles suzuki gsxr.sounds like its missfiring,but i checked all the spark plugs,wires,cap and rotor.so it must be a vaccum leak,a seriously big one,but $hit i cant find it!hahahaim suspecting the intake gasket but i want to hear what you guys think......BTW:can someone host the video?its 9mbs,the sound isnt crystal clear as it was from my sony digital camera.thanx in adavnce guys..
Old 10-17-2004, 02:54 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shortboy: Go here to upload vids http://autos.movie-host.net/

Once again, thanks to John (Porschhhh951) for that linke
Old 10-18-2004, 01:06 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

thanx for the link but ive tried uploading to that site a few times and it didnt go through....does anyone want to host this file for a bit just so everyone here can hear what it sounds like.thanx
Old 10-18-2004, 01:14 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check the fuel injector connectors. Car isnt happy if ones loose lol.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:22 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

well,i got the vid uploaded...here ya go....just click,no need for right clicking
Old 10-19-2004, 12:59 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

bump....if it is my injector wires....where can i purchase these?can i goto a local NAPA or something?thanx
Old 10-19-2004, 09:11 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 10-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Danno
Race Director

Yes, NAPA has a replacement injector-connector. Comes with a 6" tail of wire that you can butt-splice into the existing harness.

To test your injector wiring, unplug all the injector connectors carefully, also disconnect the idle-stabilizer and CV:

1. turn key to ON

2. use voltmeter to check rear-pin (power) on all connectors (use battery-ground for ground probe). Should read +12-13v on all the rear pins or whatever your battery voltage is.

3. check forward-pin (ground) on all the connectors, should read zero volts, if not, you've got a short with the power line somewhere, most likely under the rubber boot right where the wires go into the connector.

4. check continuity between forward-pins of injector-connectors #1 &#2. This should be zero-ohms, full continuity

5. check continuity between forward-pins of injector-connectors #3 &#4. This should be zero-ohms, full continuity

The big test is in #3. If you can read any power on the ground-pin, you've got a short. You can wiggle the wires under the rubber-boot to see if it changes. Then you've found the short. Last resort, you can also use a razor to slice off the rubber boots and see what the wires look like underneath.

The connectors that NAPA sells is about $10/each I think.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:56 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

thanx danno.but i got it fixed earlier today and it was exactly that!the #2 injector connector.got mines at carquest.thanx all....good to have you back danno

Quick Reply: Erratic idle.....vid inside