Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

autometer boost gauge incorrect ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 03:01 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My autometer sticks under vacum...

For example... I'll be under decel pulling 21 in. Hg vacum, then throw the car into neutral and it'll read 19-20 in. Hg... then I tap it a few times and it reads 17-18 in. Hg...

It reads at the very bottom of the zero range with the car off, and I'm at sea level...
Old 10-09-2004, 03:13 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My autometer shows zero and reports the same as my link computer's readout. I guess I was lucky
Old 10-09-2004, 04:47 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

My autometer also doesn't have the problems some of you guy's are describing. I guess I just got a good one and lucked out.

I want to get that new AEM wideband digital gauge and the matching boost gauge sometime. Maybe when I feel like dropping 600-700 bucks on a couple of gauges I will bite the bullet. The AEM wideband gauge works really well on a friend of mines car and he loves it. It's also very easy to read.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:14 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Big John,

Me and a mate are about to sign a contract to be the AEM wholesaler in NZ... If it all pans out, just sorting details of the trade agreement, I should be able to hook you up with one cheap.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:16 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

oh shiet!!!

Badass Andrew I really do want one so let me know what it will cost whenever it go's down.

Hey btw I fed myself a cookie for coming in second in your contest.heh heh.

Off topic when did you send that cd? I still havent' gotten it yet so I was wondering what the deal was. No rush.

I love your new sig!!!!! props to you.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:36 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
My autometer also doesn't have the problems some of you guy's are describing. I guess I just got a good one and lucked out.

I want to get that new AEM wideband digital gauge and the matching boost gauge sometime. Maybe when I feel like dropping 600-700 bucks on a couple of gauges I will bite the bullet. The AEM wideband gauge works really well on a friend of mines car and he loves it. It's also very easy to read.
what does the matching boost gauge look like? do you have a link? i've only seen the wideband afr gauge by AEM.

also, i hear that zeitronix is making a gauge pod-type display for their setup, so i'm waiting for that as it has better/more data logging abilities. something you also might want to consider.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:40 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Really hmmm..... How much for the zeitronix one??? do they know what it is going to look like yet?

I will see if I can find a link to that red AEM matching boost gauge.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:00 PM
nize
Banned

i'm hoping the zeitronix one would be cheaper. but even if it was the same price or a bit more expensive it would be worth it in my opinion because of the additional logging capabilities. you can read the thread here;
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=zeitronix

and i've been to the aem site and can't find them making a boost gauge, you sure it was by aem and not autometer?
Old 10-09-2004, 06:10 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Hmmm I send a DVD AGES ago... it should have been there by now! Hmmmm I may have to burn another copy... damn it!

The problem with AEM is that they are coming out with new products every day, it makes it hard to keep up with what they make!
Old 10-09-2004, 06:14 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by NZ951
The problem with AEM is that they are coming out with new products every day, it makes it hard to keep up with what they make!
perhaps, but you would think that they would list all current, new, and up-and-coming products on their website;
http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp
Old 10-09-2004, 08:53 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

hmm interesting. I will ask chris about it and see if maybe he just color coated the gauge to look like the other.

I asked him about them and he said he bought them together so I may have made a *** outta myself....i assumed they were both the same brand since he ordered them together as a set.

I will ask and see....but, it not being listed on the website should mean they don't have one. I will give him a call tomorrow.

Andrew if there is no set and just the one I don't care I still prolly want it. Just get back to me on price and shipping ect. Chris installed his in like 20 minutes...but, again that's a acura....for my porsche I don't know how hard the install would be.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:03 PM
NZ951
Race Director

It will be at least a month away, I have prices now obviously, but dont want to say anything till its concrete and the contracts signed...
Old 10-13-2004, 10:46 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Hey all, I adjusted my Autometer gauge to zero it out by removing the bulb holder n the rear and slightly bending the spring mechanism/arm to set it to 0. this takes very little pressure.

It reads perfect now, always sets to 0 after shut down or before start-up.

I think autometer has poor quality control, and do not calibrate the units 100% after manufacturing.

- Later.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:40 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm late to this, but my autometer is spot on. Every time I have dynoed my autometer is exactly what is read by there computer. Mine also sits at zero. No problems what so ever. My buddy, another lister has a 240 sx, sr swapped and the same for him. We both have 20psi sport comps, no problems with ours.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:09 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GreyDog
Hey all, I adjusted my Autometer gauge to zero it out by removing the bulb holder n the rear and slightly bending the spring mechanism/arm to set it to 0. this takes very little pressure.

It reads perfect now, always sets to 0 after shut down or before start-up.

I think autometer has poor quality control, and do not calibrate the units 100% after manufacturing.

- Later.
Replace "autometer" with "VDO" and you have my experience exactly.

Quick Reply: autometer boost gauge incorrect ?