Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AEM EMS in a 944/951/952

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEM EMS in a 944/951/952

Has anyone taken the time to install an AEM EMS (http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp) in a 944/951/952? I know it's a custom job since there are no plug & play models for any Porsche, but I don't think it'd be too god awful if you enjoy soldering.

Anyone?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:18 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly doubt anyone has done that. From what I understand, AEM isn't selling a non-car specific EMS. They originally intended to, but I think they ditched it. I think they have found a better niche in offering model-specific plug and play EMSs.

I have also heard that the AEM is a pain to tune. Do you know why the AEM would be preferred over the Haltech or potentially the Hydra Nemesis at that price range?

Max
Old 10-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

On the AEM technical forums, it's the general concensus that while there is no universal AEM unit available, they have a work-around.

The 30-1000 or 30-1010 AEM EMS made for Hondas can be had for ~$1000 online ($2000 retail but the markup is insane). With one of those ECUs in hand, buy a harness (link, ~$150) to match the ECU and buy a dead DME. Chop the car side of the harness off, desolder the connector off the DME, and make a custom Porsche -> Honda adapter harness. Only catch is I haven't been given a straight answer on whether or not the Porsche factory sensors will provide a usable signal (if the voltage ranges are correct.)

The AEM EMS is pretty flexible and not too hard to tune, though inventing a map for fuel & timing from scratch might be a good time.

Just tossing ideas around in my head.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:03 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

AEM has a LOT of stuff that's really not necessary IMO. Way overboard in terms of standalone, will confuse the hell out of you. This is why a lot of folks (newbies) say it's hard to tune.

I would NOT recommend the Hydra at this time. I worked on it for a turbo Impreza that my friend built, and the user interface is horrible, borderline unusable. Maybe when version 2 of the software comes out it'll be better. It does look promising though, after spending a LOT of time tweaking one cell at a time (it's impossible to do row or column level editing) and getting it tuned right, it works pretty good.

I hate the TEC3. Motec has a good interface, but you get what you pay for. For newbies, I recommend SDS. It'll work for your basic mods car, up to my 2.8L beast. Easy to learn, easy to tune. It does have it's limits (no true 3D fuel/timing map), but it does the job just fine.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Rage, why do you have Tec3?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:48 PM
TurboTim
Banned

The AEM EMS is simple to tune if you know what you are doing. It does have alot of bells and whitstles that dont neccessarily need any manipulating.The nice thing about the EMS is that is is affordable and I really like the system alot.I just tuned our shop Supra the other day to the tune of 902 horsepower at the wheels.We would have made more but the torque converter was slipping:^(
Old 10-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

I've tuned two Honduhs equipped with EMS's and it was fairly easy, though there were stock maps available to us.
Originally Posted by TurboTim
The AEM EMS is simple to tune if you know what you are doing.
Tim, would an EMS install for a 944 require replacing/modifying/installing all of the sensors described in SFR's TEC3 page? Or is the EMS flexible enough with sensor voltages and types?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:04 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

The AEM route sounds cool to me. I stand corrected on its tuning difficulty. It does have that reputation, but I trust the opinion of those on this board more.

Is it smart to take a Honda AEM harness and splice it into the stock one? Are the actually AEM units setup specifically for Honda sensors or can the AEM be setup?

Max
Old 10-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by macnewma
Is it smart to take a Honda AEM harness and splice it into the stock one?
I think what you're trying to say is that we'd cut the Porsche wiring and splicing in a Honda connector. This *would* work, but lord help you if you ever had to go back to stock. The better idea would be to make an adapter. Verbally describing this is tough but I'll try.

Unplug and remove your DME. Put an AEM EMS where the DME used to be. Imagine making something that plugs into your harness but has a Honda connector on the other end. This 'something' would only be about 12 inches long and would look roughly like this. You'd need to buy a Honda connector (check your local junkyard), a dead DME, a soldering iron, a spool of solder, and a bucket of migrane medication. It'd be semi-cheap, it'd be a pain, and it'd take time, but that's the definition of a hobby isn't it?

Originally Posted by macnewma
Are the actually AEM units setup specifically for Honda sensors or can the AEM be setup?
They are able to deal with multiple sensor types, and every sensor input can be reprogrammed. Coolant temperature, knock sensor, throttle position sensor, oil pressure, almost everything can be customized. Question is, how flexible is the AEM EMS software/hardware?

For instance, the 944 throttle position sensor goes from 0.0 to 1.0 volts dc. Most Japanese and American throttle position sensors operate from 0.0 to 5.0 vdc, and the AEM EMS is designed to handle 0-5. Included with the AEM EMS software is a program to automatically set your TPS voltages, but will the EMS function with 0-1vdc properly? My gut says it should, my past experience with the EMS says it should, but until someone tries we won't know for certain.

The TPS is only one example. I know that there are issues with the timing signal and speedometer sensor. For some light reading, check out:

http://www.speedforceracing.com/prod...management.php

AGAIN, maybe the AEM EMS could overcome these things inately but only hands-on experimenting or some hard research will tell the truth. The AEM EMS User Guide is 227 pages and it's written by the same guys who wrote my VCR instructions. Half overly technical, the other half speaking below my 11 month old daughter's intellence level. I'll wade through it and try to pull out some useful information.

A workable possibility is buying the SFR sensors for the TEC3R and using them with the AEM EMS. *shrug* This for sure isn't a modification for a guy who doesn't like a challenge.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:00 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dark, if you can hold off a few months I may have an AEM solution, myself and an associate have a contract to be the New Zealand wholesalers of AEM and DC sports products. I may be looking at developing the AEM unit for the 944/968 etc. It is a huge task, that may not pan out, but its something to keep in mind. Its hard when there are off the shelf units like the Link and Tec around...
Old 10-08-2004, 11:20 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I might have a simpler solution. The Motronic Editor which turns the DME into a standalone computer will be available real soon. Waiting on the assembly line

Let's say, it takes you as long as it takes to replace a chip in order to get full control of fuel & timing. 7 images loaded and can be selected by an external switch. The best part, it comes pre-programmed..
The initial batch is pretty much spoken for...
The price? Less than you can purchase a standalone
Installation? As simple as replacing a chip with our miniature board
Features? Fuel, Ignition, data logging...
When? As soon as the people who reserved the first batch pay for it, we will make a larger batch...
Old 10-09-2004, 08:52 PM
B951S
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

If AEM ever do a system for a 951, one of them will definately have my name on them! They are awsome.. Come on someone, give us an AEM stand alone..please!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Unfortunately we aren't a big enough market for AEM to care about. They are making money hand over fist in the Jap market right now.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:55 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think AEM will ever mass produce a kit just for the 944. They are more interested in providing for the latest cars... you never know though!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:59 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

John the monitor is like 800 right? How much for the editor on top of that?

Quick Reply: AEM EMS in a 944/951/952