944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AEM EMS in a 944/951/952

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:29 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh sorry fellas just noticed the date guess there was a bust on it back then?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well they still make them in a universal 4 cylinder kit. It should be doable but... the install manual is a 750 page PDF! So take that as a waring!
Old 06-02-2011, 04:16 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
John's Motronic editor will probably be the best bet. As soon as you realize how much it takes to tune EVERYTHING from scratch with a standalone, the better. Porsche provided enormous amounts of R&D/tuning towards the stock boxes and you can't get a better "base map" than that.
The best bet is to find a standalone which YOU can tune or are familiar with OR you know a guy who is familiar and is available for tuning.

Standalone is the best bet for any serious engine build and in those days any decent standalone can be tuned to have no ill effects (bad starting, crappy cruise or whatever) with no excess time.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

The only time I justify a standalone is with a proper standalone (Motec, Bosch Motorsports, Haltech) and if the motor just happens to have a ton of money and work into it. It would be stupid not to invest in proper tuning after spending over 10k on a motor build. If the stock ECU is powerful enough, I don't see an issue with using it either.
This statement clearly shows that you have absolutely no experience with standalones, only opinions. No actual knowledge or experience.

If you don't know a thing about them, please don't spread wrong information.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the best bet is to drop 1000+ on a standalone and then another 500+ to have someone else tune it? If you are new to standalones, there is not one you can find and tune because you aren't a tuner. Finding others base maps online will leave you stranded with flooded motors or even popped ones. You could --try-- and spend time perfecting cold start maps and tip in enrichment maps and so on, or you can start with the best base tune there is.

The only time I justify a standalone is with a proper standalone (Motec, Bosch Motorsports, Haltech) and if the motor just happens to have a ton of money and work into it. It would be stupid not to invest in proper tuning after spending over 10k on a motor build. If the stock ECU is powerful enough, I don't see an issue with using it either.
Aww dammit I'll bite! One of reasons for going standalone, is getting rid of the 20+ year old wiring harness!

The V8 guys usually have had on going realiabilty issues that drive them to do the V8 thing but that swap also gets rid of the stock wiring harness with it's host of issues.

I don't have a dog in this fight, just saying!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 PM
hataskrau
AutoX

What will you recommend for a mild build car? here is my plan: bigger turbo (something in 55ar range), 80lbs injectors, 8lb flywheel, wais gate, bigger intercooler,3 bar fpr, bov, boost controller 24lbs, methanol injection, 3in strait pipe from turbo to the end. And what power will I make approximately? Thanks for every ones time.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
hataskrau
AutoX

What will you recommend for a mild build car? here is my plan: bigger turbo (something in 55ar range), 80lbs injectors, 8lb flywheel, wais gate, bigger intercooler,3 bar fpr, bov, boost controller 24lbs, methanol injection, 3in strait pipe from turbo to the end. All this on 87 944 turbo. And what power will I make approximately? Thanks for every ones time.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Actually, I have plenty of knowledge in standalones and stock ECU reverse engineering. I also know that you have no idea what it is like to tune a car in the US. When was the last time Estonia saw 100*F weather?

Like, today? It's 35 C here, it's 95 F. That shows that you need to learn a bit what's the life is outside US.

How long are your summers there, again? How many regulations do you have behind emissions and smog pollution? What's the octane rating of your gas again? Yeah, that's what I thought.
1. Our summers last from May to September, and are in some years VERY HOT, sometimes not. We have winters also, usually with lot of snow and cold down to -35 C and cars have to start and drive with this temperature also.

2. About regulations? What, are you a stupid *****? We have all the regulations that other EU countries have and that means annual MOT on EVERY car that is driven, NO EXCEPTIONS!
3. What's the octane ratio has to do here? We have all of them available: 98 (93 in US), 95 (91 in US).

FYI, I have installed and tuned standalones for nearly 10 years by now so I know thing or two. And that includes some serious engines (600 hp 993 TT engines that are both street driven and tracked, 900hp MB 5.5liter supercharged engine, basically a SLR McLaren engine with different ECU, 800 hp BMW M20 engine with radical cams, STILL passed smog test).
And as I agree that it takes some time getting all the compensation tables excellent, it is still less fuss than reverse engineering 30year old technology.

Dunno what's your experience but your recommendation with stating that there are only few standalones worth installing is just plain stupid.

You should try to look and understand a bit what's it like outside your world and not just give questionable recommendations.

If you disagree, let's then just agree to disagree.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Calling me a ***** is grounds for ban, no?
And your comments could be considered personal attacks too...
Time to wash the sand out of dark places.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Ok, that was maybe too much but your opinion that Estonia is probably a renegade country where no regulations apply, is sorta ignorant and insulting, don't you think?

Perhaps it is news to you but we are member of EU (and NATO also) for quite some time by now. That means that the emissions regulations from EU also apply.

Regarding your statement that new harness is costly. What exactly cost so much in harness? I mean, you can buy brand new JPT 2pin, 3pin and 4pin connectors for like 1-3 euros a piece depending on pin count and if you cound money, then just buy new pins (100 pc box costs 8 euros). Buy decent crimp tool for 25 euros and high quality silicone wire (0.5-0.75 mm2) that will cost about 100 euros for engine harness. Special factory-grade fabric-type insulator tape costs around 3 euros a pack (you'll need 3-4). That totals around 200 euros in parts and one can make it in a week if doing it 2-3 hours a day. And that is for newbie.

I wouldn't recommend using PVC wires but these are used by factory and they do their job, just it's not as good as silicone.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

I've had tuners come from the other side of the pond and blow up motors with their tuning. It's a different environment and I am sticking to it. I am also sticking to what I said about standalones from a financial and logical standpoint.

If anything, I am jealous of the better gas and better weather over there (I have yet to find a weather report that shows 95 degree weather in Estonia).

It's 9 AM at the moment, so at the moment it's around 25 degrees C here, but yesterday we had 35 C and today the forecast also expects 35 C. So if you want to know, check later.

And that is also nice and factual comment about "tuners from the other side of the pond". There are good and bad tuners in both sides, but why would you care about such a small detail?

There was no insult intended. I would debate this further with factual information and experience, but as soon as someone calls me a stupid *****, I tend to not care anymore.
If you did not intend to insult me, then I'll take back the *****-word.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

. If anything, I am jealous of the better gas and better weather over there (I have yet to find a weather report that shows 95 degree weather in Estonia).
FYI
Their gas is just like ours:
US uses EKI and Europe RON. Also it gets hot overthere also and in the last couple of years humidity becomes a factor.

US 91=EU95
US 93=EU97.

Just to add:
( RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating )
98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)
100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

Lots of people think that way, but they are the same gas.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

The gasoline with 10% ethanol is very seldomly sold at this time and when sold, it's done separately to distinguish it from regular gasoline.

E85 is also sold but unfortunately local big-boys are trying to minimize selling it because it would hurt the profits that would otherwise come from regular high-taxed gasoline (E85 would be much cheaper).
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hataskrau
What will you recommend for a mild build car? here is my plan: bigger turbo (something in 55ar range), 80lbs injectors, 8lb flywheel, wais gate, bigger intercooler,3 bar fpr, bov, boost controller 24lbs, methanol injection, 3in strait pipe from turbo to the end. All this on 87 944 turbo. And what power will I make approximately? Thanks for every ones time.
A methanol injected 24lb boost engine is a ‘mild’ build?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

My take on the stand alone issue –
I have had to fix quite a few systems that were installed by self-proclaimed experts – including shops that claim to be professionals.

To really get it right you need to know a lot about the software/hardware that you are working with and the engine you are working on – and you also need to understand real hard core engine theory. I would guess that 90% of all the ‘tuners’ out there are just repeating something they saw someone else say or do with no real fundamental understanding of what it does.

The one most overwhelming thing a standalone offers is the extreme number of WRONG settings. Piggybacks at least start with a stock tune and let you modify a small number of parameters. Standalones start with a blank screen with 1000’s of variables. The initial learning curve is very steep!

Most standalones come with some generic base files….sometimes this is just the crutch a person that does not understand engine theory needs to make the engine start. Then they rely on the 90% of the settings in the base file for their final tune.

Choose your supplier with at least the same amount (or more) of care that you choose your standalone system.

BTW – from his various posts I can tell that Raceboy knows his theory and can fabricate what he needs – that puts him in the .01% category of 944 owners that can make their own major mods and successfully tune them – don’t assume that many others are capable of the same achievements!

Quick Reply: AEM EMS in a 944/951/952