Default Magazine article

http://europeancarweb.com/projectcars/

I found this while reading "turbo and high performance"
Old 10-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It's been kicked to death on here, most of us laugh at that "project" car.

Sam
Old 10-06-2004, 07:00 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what he's doing is a great thing... testing everything regardless of cost, to see what works and what's fluff. I've used his experience in building his turbo M3 project for parts selection on my friend's S/C M3.

Give it time... once he gets everything tested and go all out, it'll be a crazy 951. I hope it can push 500whp with a 2.5L!
Old 10-06-2004, 07:39 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10,000.00 bucks later and he put down a wopping 306rwhp. What sucks is people that aren't on rennlist or know anything about the aftermarket community will read that **** and think what a rip off. All that money for 306rwhp. Too bad the guy running the show didn't do the right thing and contact rennlist first. Vitesse and Lindsey should have been the only performance vendors he used...and I am willing to bet would be making a heck of alot more than 300whp at 17psi.

Thankgod he actually did use Lindsey and SFR for some things. Rookies.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:09 PM
pflyers
Instructor

I didn't realize it was an old article, and posted it before reading it.

I'll admit I thought it was more than pretty lame after reading through it.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:19 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Rage you got to be kidding 500whp on 2.5 can't wait to see that!

Tony G old car had a ton of stuff on it he got 475 at the crank with a full garrett turbo, they are using only a small to4e. Up to know they got 306 at the wheels they have a long way to go to reach 500whp.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:18 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
10,000.00 bucks later and he put down a wopping 306rwhp. What sucks is people that aren't on rennlist or know anything about the aftermarket community will read that **** and think what a rip off. All that money for 306rwhp. Too bad the guy running the show didn't do the right thing and contact rennlist first. Vitesse and Lindsey should have been the only performance vendors he used...and I am willing to bet would be making a heck of alot more than 300whp at 17psi.

Like I mentioned in my post, he's not going for quick and cheap power. He's looking to test everything out there, what works, what doesn't, etc. This will show what works and what doesn't, and help promote companies that have working products. All this because he has a nice fat expense account at work .

I spoke with him a few times, and he's got huge plans for the car for future installments. Here's a quote from him talking about rennlisters bitching about his articles:
thanks, and that's what I'm there for! I'm going to show some of the good and the bad. If they can't appreciate it then rat's ***. No one had gain/loss numbers on the stuff I tested, not even the company! That's what I do--I test parts on cars, not believe people when they say, "oh that part sucks". no, that's not gonna cut it for me, pal (so much brand loyalty out there, too--it's in every type of aftermarket industry).

So I then test intake temps with various products to get real measurements with temperature changes (again, something I found nowhere tested and posted on the net), and again some guys flip out. They claim I throw money (like 4 g's) at heat shielding and thermal wraps. hehe, where do they get these numbers?
I admit, some guys there are nice and very helpful. But I swear I read some of this other stuff and then think to myself, "wow, this guy actually thinks he's got a clue!" (I guess it's typical of all forums). And of course he's missed the whole point of the article. Ahh, the internet..it's quite entertaining!
If you followed his project M3, he went through a lot of parts that I would never buy. But you know what? If you buy a M3 right now and want to build a lot of power, you can read through the articles, and decide what works, and get that for your car. Hopefully his 951 project will allow 951 newbies to do the same.

As for why he doesn't use Vitesse or Lindsey Racing products, you'll have to ask them what they did different than SFR.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:22 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rage2

As for why he doesn't use Vitesse or Lindsey Racing products, you'll have to ask them what they did different than SFR.
We were never contacted or asked.. I guess the location has something to do with it. I doubt they want to ship the car across country for testing...

Heck you guys test the heck out of the products, that's the best audience I can ask for
Old 10-06-2004, 11:12 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Socko, thats alot of money, they should just build the damn thing off of EVERYONE elses experiance, I've been up on the whole process because I have a E.C. subscription, I would have done some research but hey, prime Media has deep pockets and probably no chain of accountability in the board room.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:15 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast951
We were never contacted or asked.. I guess the location has something to do with it. I doubt they want to ship the car across country for testing...

I clicked on your link and your dyno sheets are very impressive. and very affordable too! I have always admired Porsche for how easy it has been to get power out of such a perfect car.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:03 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

the newest issue was about lossing weight.he replaced the fenders,header panel,rear bumper and seats.(maybe some others but i forget)anyway he purchased the fiberglass parts from gt-racing.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:54 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951

In his defense, unlike all of us who are spending our own money and will seek value at every possibility, this is for a magazine where personal expenditure is not a problem. He is trying different parts and replacing things that don't work well. He has that luxury. I also think that he is doing some people a favor by finding things taht don't work that well (like the B&B headers).

Read the last couple of installments and things get much better. Plus he has hinted at bigger things to come.

This project started off pretty shaky but he's going in the right direction now. I'm sure most of you will be happier with future mods.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:26 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes guys I remember the thread a long time ago. I remember reading his post and why exactly he is doing what he is doing. My point was then and still is now that I hope people that are new to the 951 community and who aren't on rennlist don't read the articile and the money being spent and get discouraged because they don't have 2200.00 bucks to spend on header's that gained 5hp. I think it's neat what he is doing and I hope in the future he uses the right products and tell's about them. Spending all that money on that Kokeln turbo was a mistake in my mind as well but, hey to each there own.

I am not worried about the article itself but, rather the people that don't know anything reading it. Hopefully at the end of it all he will explain the good point and the bad points and give a estimate on what it would cost to build the car correctly the first time. That way rookies don't freak out when they see he has 20 grand invested in the car. That's all. Other than that I wish his the best and hopefully he will contact John at Vitesse for there new stage 3 kit. Or since he has unlimited funds why not go with a GT30 custom install.....hell that would be really freggin cool.

I should email him and tell him to try out the new GT stuff. I would be interested in reading that.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:44 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

This is following the same format as everyother magazine project car. I don't think those who have followed such magazine projects will confuse what he is doing with what is typical. I don't think there are too many readers of the Turbo M3 project that would consider it typical.

I would hope that anyone considering purchasing or modifying a 951 would do some basic internet searches which, invariably, will bring them to Rennlist.

And, as to those, that will belive it to be too impractical, good. It keeps the secret alive.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:45 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

He will be upgrading his turbo. The Kokeln that he has wont be enough for his goals. Since he's dealing with SFR, there's no problems moving to the GT series turbos because SFR has the proper flanges for any Garrett series turbo.

Quick Reply: Magazine article