Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone else keep breakin the cassette hinge on the console?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 04:14 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy_J
$1 Center Console Hinge Repair – well less actually – 20 minute fix

Snapped the hinge on your 944/951/968 center console? Here’s an easy fix:

Materials

1. 12” of 2” wide duct tape
2. 12” black electrical tape
3. 1 thin wood Starbucks coffee stir stick
Tools
4. clean dry plastic kitchen cutting board
5. 12” ruler
6. box knife
7. small Phillips screwdriver
8. flat file

So it’s finally busted (mine broke when a key jammed the lid higher than usual, and it “locked”.

Take the lid and hinge sections apart (easy to do). Line the broken hinges up and use your large flat file to remove the ragged plastic edge. The goal is to get a nice smooth finish where the plastic hinge used to connect both parts.

Line up 12” of the duct tape nice and straight on the cutting board (or glass – anything that is flat actually – NOT the dining room table though!)

Using a sharp box cutter, divide the duct tape into 2 strips 1” wide.

Now carefully lift a corner and remove the tape. Take the 2 broken hinges and put them together so they are lined up in a “closed” position. Put the thin wood Starbucks stir stick in between the hinge to it is ever so slightly separating both parts – this is kinda important.

Center and apply the 1” wide strip of duct tape along the entire outer edge along the edge where the hinge broke away. Work the tape onto both pieces of the frame – it should now act like a “hinge”.

Now “open” the frame and lay it on the table so that the “hinge exposes a little bit of the duct tape that was created with the coffee stir stick. Apply another 1” strip of duct tape along the INSIDE of the frame, working the tape into the seam area where the plastic hinge broke. You now have a tape to tape hinge that looks like this ><

To finish it all off, run that strip of ½” black electricians tape on top of the first piece of duct tape so that the “hinge” is hidden when you bolt it all back together.

Voila, a new hinge that costs pennies and works perfectly – or until the OEM replacement shows up!

This is a LOT easier than sticking in little piano hinges.
I did this and I did the piano hinges but I as I said the oem part is $8. Just go buy the oem part and you are good for another 10 years - hell get 2!
Old 10-03-2004, 04:49 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

True that are not expensive, about USD20 here, but I break one every couple of months. The tray solution works best for me. I would keep buying them, but its a hassle.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:17 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NZ951
True that are not expensive, about USD20 here, but I break one every couple of months. The tray solution works best for me. I would keep buying them, but its a hassle.
What are you doing? Eating your lunch from the tray?
Old 10-03-2004, 01:59 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done a similar tape repair -- worked fine until this summer when the adhesive started getting weak....
Old 10-03-2004, 08:21 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PO of my car replaced it twice in seven years / 47,000 miles that I know of. I just replaced it again at the beginning of the summer, and was shocked to see that, like Eyal's, mine is starting to split along the hinge already. I'm pretty careful, but I guess if you lean on it too hard just once it'll start to go south? Anyway, I never open the thing, so until it comes clean off, it's not noticable to me. Once it does, I'll probably be picking up one of those bins.

What do you guys who use it keep in there, anyway? I find it to be utterly useless. Even for holding cassettes, it's badly designed.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KLR
What do you guys who use it keep in there, anyway? I find it to be utterly useless. Even for holding cassettes, it's badly designed.
Took out the cassette leaves and use it to hold 2 garage remotes, note pad and pens!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:59 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

I like wise took out the cassette leaves...much more usable space...
Old 10-04-2004, 11:09 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's as if i am invisable
Old 10-04-2004, 12:00 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The tray is part # 944 552 155 00 and the insert (rubber mat?) is 3 944 552 161 00.

NZ, does your backseat match the fronts?
Old 10-04-2004, 01:26 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Im still on my original cassette hinge thing, and yes I use it. (I did have the vinyl recovered however)
Old 10-11-2004, 06:36 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Failure is caused by periods of pressure exerted by an elbow pushing down on the lid. This causes torsional flex that eventually leads to ripping of the plastic hinge media. I thought about the new PET open-top version too. Does the cabrio storage tray include a small net to prevent items from launching themselves off the car?

Quick Reply: Anyone else keep breakin the cassette hinge on the console?