Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can't believe this crap "Porsche hybrids board"

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 11:54 PM
RI951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya know, after reading the hybrid post, the guy isn't too far off base. You all have to admit that we can be pretty **** about some facets of these cars. I've learned that if a sterotype exists, there is usually some truth behind it. I have to laugh sometimes at some of the posts that I've seen here, but I've learned something from almost every post I read.

But the underlying principle, the miracle really, is that the 944 really is all things to all people. It appeals to the racers, the purists, the old-timers, the stereo crowd (gotta bite my tongue there...), and the hybrid guys. It validates the perfection of the original design, that so many diverse groups can derive enjoyment out of a single model of car. So let the hybrid guys enjoy their rides, and quit trying to pick a fight. You'd all be singing victory if some guy managed to jam a 928 V8 into a bowtie.

Tifo, I wish I was infamous. I think the guy counted you among the only 20 or so people who actually knows alot about these cars...

My humble opinion only. Pat
Old 09-28-2004, 01:20 AM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

wow. This is the first I am hearing of a Porsche hybrid. It seems almost comical.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:29 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay993turbo
wow. This is the first I am hearing of a Porsche hybrid. It seems almost comical.
I know. The first time I heard about one, it struck me as very strange, too.

Welcome to Rennlist, Jay. Let me compliment you on your awesome ride. I aspire to a 993TT, and I absolutely love Midnight Blue! In fact, I'm honored that you chose to make your first post here on the 944 Turbo board.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:06 AM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

I'm not going to bash but,
why use a 944 base?
isn't the rx-7 lighter?

also, he said he had 35K into his car, couldn't he have gotten the same mid 400 range hp from a 968 turbo engine with that money if not more?

I just will never understand, and I am all about going fast for cheap.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:49 AM
special tool
Banned

Some guys just like to stick what they know.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:07 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

I think special hit the nail on the head. Stick to what you know.

For 35k you could have a 600hp track beast of a 951. The pushrod engine is cheeper on maintance and easy to work with. This ultimately along with the love for v8's is why they went the way they did. To each there own. I just want a friendly GTG nothing special. I don't want to start some kind of war. That isint what it's about.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:40 AM
Danton
Instructor

Just add chewing tobacco!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6434
Old 09-28-2004, 12:45 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

wow they are very touchy over there. Since he said I was invading his house I left.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think wea re bad you should check out the RX7 bashing that goes on with the conversions, it is BRUTAL! Then again, I have THREE core RX7 motors right now and I am wishing I had put a 302 in a long time ago.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:11 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Check this out. You can post and not register. It is all for "purists" etc. To flame away

http://www.560sec.com/bulletinboard/...430087e1c561ce
Old 09-28-2004, 01:12 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Oh, in case anyone is wondering who "Porsche944Turbo" is A.K.A. V8sRslow, that is me
Old 09-28-2004, 01:36 PM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

If i could swap my turbo engine for a good v-8 conversion i'd do it in a second. The v-8 will be much more durable, easier to work on, easier to get parts and ultimately much more powerful. If you wanna get the same kind of power with the 2.5 turbo 4, you're probably gonna have to run high boost levels and run into all kinds of tuning issues and possible breakdowns such as, blown head gaskets, bad rod bearings, broken timing belts, etc.

but it's not gonna handle as well? i'll take the trade-off anyday.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:44 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
The below photos are why V8 conversions SUCK. There are some nice ones, they are just few and far between. Besides if that is what you want it is readily available, it is called a Camaro....

Got hose clamps? You can polish a turd and put it in new clothes but it is still a turd. As to the engineering being nothing to write home about, I suppose a pushrod 350 is?
**** and I thought a 944 Turbo was hoseclamphell at times. That thing is held together with duct tape, hose clamps, and zip ties... Easy to work on? Eh? EH?

I dont have anything against the conversion guys, I think that at times there may be vaild reasons for doing it and I respect the amount of work and time that goes into a custom project like that....

But theres some serious pot-kettle-black going around when he says he has $35k into a car, then looks down on and flames us turbo owners. At least no matter how wacked out my car may eventually get, I can still go to several places in Vancouver and buy/order whatever hose/etc I need, and be fairly sure its gonna fit and hold, without resorting to custom fitting everything...

But whatever turns your crank I suppose, I have nothing against them just because they have a non-Porsche engine in there, but they need to evaluate why they have a Holly cam rammed up where the headlight beam doesnt shine, just because they have an engine that didnt orginally come in the car. Or any German car. To each his own, they can take a cobbled together Chevorsche, put together with hoseclamps and zipties, ill keep my turbocharged Inline4 with the oil filter in the retarded spot till I relocate it. As long as each respective owner is happy with what they have, they should just avoid making blatently retarded statements like 245ft/lbs of torque (I mean, comeone, common sense PLEASE ) and we'll avoid harping on the Porschevs because they are different like the boy in the back row with black nail polish and green hair. In the end, at least everyone can be happy with their own car, everything else is just the means to that end. If everyone didnt aspire to something better to drive, everyone would be happy with a slow, WWD, ugly *** Civic or a POS Neon.

Time for another mocha.

(Not at the same time though... <shifty eyes>)
Old 09-28-2004, 01:48 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"and I am all about going fast for cheap."

ME TOO!! Which is my I bought this car. For a few hundred bucks and a the time it takes to instal a MBC, 3 BAR regulator and 2 chips (say about 1 hour), you add about 60hp/tq over the stock numbers.

I beg someone to show me the steps for ANY normally aspirated motor that you can, with a few hundred dollars and about 1 hours work, get that much more performance out of it.

Even doing the work yourself to cut costs, port/polish the head, lifters, hotter cam, valves etc. It will take a smidge more then 1 hour or labor. And probabably more then a few hundred bucks.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:50 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toddk911
"and I am all about going fast for cheap."

ME TOO!! Which is my I bought this car. For a few hundred bucks and a the time it takes to instal a MBC, 3 BAR regulator and 2 chips (say about 1 hour), you add about 60hp/tq over the stock numbers.

I beg someone to show me the steps for ANY normally aspirated motor that you can, with a few hundred dollars and about 1 hours work, get that much more performance out of it.
Amortize your costs over time.
Anyway you look at it, going fast in a 944t isnt cheap.

I think a hybrid is a great way to get a transaxle car without buying a vette. Would make a great track car.

Quick Reply: Can't believe this crap "Porsche hybrids board"