Which turbo do I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 02:16 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which turbo do I go with?

Ya you probably know I already have an upgraded turbo, but still.. upgrading will give me more power. So why not?

Here's the situation, I currently have a SFR stage 2 bb turbo in my car and yes its nice and all, but I usually have to be around 4k to really get that kick in the turbo, really weird especially for a ball bearing.

Car is having boost problems, blah blah, going to get it fixed as soon as I have a break from my classes. Smilies

But I also have a Vitesse stage II kit w/ the quick spool option sitting in my room. IIRC is the turbo a to4e? It should yield more boost than I'm pushing at 18psi probably.

And I have a friend selling a brand new, dirtttt cheap turbo. GT30R ball bearing.

http://exileracing.com/catalog/produ...13eacfd6bc6044

Specs:
T04E, .60 A/R, 3" inlet compressor
T3, .63 A/R, 2.5" discharge
compressor: 56trim

Will the GT30R fit in the 951?

Comparing all three which is the best to go with?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:32 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v944god
But I also have a Vitesse stage II kit w/ the quick spool option sitting in my room. IIRC is the turbo a to4e? It should yield more boost than I'm pushing at 18psi probably.
I can only speak to the Vitesse Stage II Kit, since my car is equipped with it. I am very pleased with it, and boost kicks in at 3100 RPM, much sooner than what you are currently experiencing. When Ian dynoed the car back in June, it made 330/330 at the rear wheels at 17 psi. It is worth mentioning that this was on 95 degree day, and the dyno's main fan wasn't working. So I would imagine that the car could probably put out at least 340/340 at 17 psi, but that is just a guess.

Since you already have that kit in your room, I say go with it! A big bonus is the excellent constomer attention that John gives.

Good luck, and happy boosting!
Old 09-23-2004, 03:38 AM
daniel951
Race Car

i have a upgraded turbo but haven't really drove the car since it has been put on
Old 09-23-2004, 01:47 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

^b
Old 09-23-2004, 01:49 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

T66
Old 09-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

GT30R all the way!!

Contact Tim @ SFR - he's got the modified crossover plumbing to mount the turbo and he also will mod your turbo so that it will bolt on to stock turbo mount.

Ball bearing is the way to go - quicker spool, less heat generated in intake charge allowing for higher boost pressure with pump gas, superior compressor/turbine blade design. Take it to the next level man!!

BTW, cheapturbo.com has the GT30R on sale right now for $1200.00

Also, look into the GT3071R from ATP turbo. It uses a .5 a/r compressor housing and a smaller 71mm wheel. Although the 30R and the 71R will both work, I think the 71R would have better spool up characteristics and be a better match for our cars. There was a Garrett BB turbo thread running about a week ago - some great info from guys running GT ball bearing turbos.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by Pauerman
Contact Tim @ SFR - he's got the modified crossover plumbing to mount the turbo and he also will mod your turbo so that it will bolt on to stock turbo mount.
Does any vendor currently offer a service to take your stock crossover and modify it to be Garrett-friendly?
Old 09-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dark Lightning
Does any vendor currently offer a service to take your stock crossover and modify it to be Garrett-friendly?
Recently, I've been looking into making this an option that Pauer Tuning can provide. Problem is having to do a core exchange program and the added time frame that this adds. Seems like the interest in the GT series turbos is increasing, so if demand is high enough, this may be a practical option.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by Pauerman
Recently, I've been looking into making this an option that Pauer Tuning can provide. Problem is having to do a core exchange program and the added time frame that this adds. Seems like the interest in the GT series turbos is increasing, so if demand is high enough, this may be a practical option.
Turn-around time wouldn't be my biggest concern since my 951 is purely a weekend warrior, but I see what you're saying. My issue is that I don't have the equipment to fab up such a piece and I truly don't trust any of the local redneck engineers.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:42 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can get the GT30R for $500, worth it or not?

Also will that one fit the 951?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:16 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

GT30R for $500 is pretty damn good. It won't drop in though.

Max
Old 09-23-2004, 07:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I think Edman951 is the only one running GT30R on a 2.5l 951. Based on info I received from him, his spoolup characteristics are equivalent to the Vitesse Stage 2 with Quick Spool... As far as see, many people here are giving opinions based on what they think not based on actual facts.
Hopefully someone will test the GT30R so we can compare dyno charts...
Old 09-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by v944god
I can get the GT30R for $500, worth it or not?
Nah, that's a useless turbo. But if you want to pass along some contact information for the seller that'd be great, thanks.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:51 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, "GT30R" is a series of turbos. You should probably find out which one it is. It could be any of these:

GT3037S, GT35/40R or GT3071R

They are all quite different. You can also spec them out however you would like.

Max
Old 09-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
I think Edman951 is the only one running GT30R on a 2.5l 951. Based on info I received from him, his spoolup characteristics are equivalent to the Vitesse Stage 2 with Quick Spool... As far as see, many people here are giving opinions based on what they think not based on actual facts.
Hopefully someone will test the GT30R so we can compare dyno charts...
Are you saying that there is no real advantage in going with a ball bearing turbo? You're stating that from the info you've gathered, that your quick spool Stg II turbo performs as well as Edman's GT30R turbo? Are you guaranteeing this?

It's funny to imagine that a company as large as Garrett, who spends who knows how many thousands on R&D for new compressor/turbine wheels & housings and ball bearing center cartridge design would come up with a new line of turbo that's EQUIVALENT in performance to turbo's built from the existing product line?!?

Is it not a given that GT series turbos represent superior spool up characteristics and greater flow potential considering the ball bearing cartridge and newer blade designs. Of course the turbo's configuation plays a big roll on how it performs with our application, but based on the experience of those here on the list that use the GT30 or a varient of it, the consensus from Edman in particular is that the GT3071R would have been a better choice for our cars.

Edman's GT30R turbo may (currently) have similiar spool up characteristics to your Stg II John, but he's also stated that he hasn't dialed in his a/f completely either. And when you say that people are giving opinions rather than fact, I feel that it's safe to quote Edman in his evaluation of his turbo and his recommendation.

And BTW there are more than just Edman running the GT30R on a 2.5 Take a look at user Corleone and Chris Prack and see if your Stg II is equivalent in spool up and overall performance to their setups. These guys used turbo's most similar to the GT3071R.

Quick Reply: Which turbo do I go with?