Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ENGINE WENT 'BOOM' AT SEBRING

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:09 AM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ENGINE WENT 'BOOM' AT SEBRING

Yup, that's right. Coming out of turn 17 the loudest bang I've ever heard occurred and I watched a big piece of metal slide from underneath the car. It went caboom!!! It looks like the 2nd piston is where the problem happened. I think this is the cylinder that typically has an oil pickup problem. I have not begun to tear the engine down yet so I don't know the details of what I'm going to need. But I'm sure I'm going to need a block. Anyone have an '86 951 engine for sale.
The other option that I'm thinking of is an '88 engine and tranny. I've found one from a wreck that is in great running order that I can get fairly cheap. I'm just waiting to see what kind of damage I did to see if it would be worth it.
Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:24 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a bummer. At least it came after the turn and it didn't cause you to wreck.

You can try the 944 recyclers for blocks or peruse the classifieds here. It shouldn't take you too long to find one.

Good luck,
Max
Old 09-21-2004, 10:42 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry about the mishap! I have a fully blue printed long block still on the engine stand. It's supposed to be going into my race car, if you need one email me directly.

Quick Reply: ENGINE WENT 'BOOM' AT SEBRING