Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mafterburner vs. Smt6

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mafterburner vs. Smt6

I am going to buy one or the other. Opinions? Which has more /better features? Tia
Old 09-19-2004, 11:38 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

I don't know anything about the Mafterburner but I like the Smt6. Its very easy to use and you can use 2 maps, control boost or water injection and Data log.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the screen better on the Mafterburner for real time data. My car and the race car have the mafterburner, good friend has the SMT6. Both are great systems with great customer support.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:05 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you retard or advance timing with the mafterburner?
Old 09-20-2004, 01:08 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i use the smt6 to control both fuel and boost on my car, works great.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:53 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you control boost with the SMT6? You need a DP WG, right?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:20 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schnellfahrer
How do you control boost with the SMT6? You need a DP WG, right?
Im wondering this as well, I was under the impression that the SMT6 couldnt do that at all.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:49 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

SMT6 can control boost or water injection (of course external solenoid etc and appropriate parts are needed). SMT6 is capable of adjusting timing you just have to know how!
Old 09-20-2004, 10:02 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it control boost? Do you need an external EBC?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:12 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In order to control boost with the SMT6 you need:
- External boost solenoid
- Map Sensor (not 100% needed, but strongly recommended)
Old 09-20-2004, 10:54 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

what john said....
Old 09-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

I haven't seen the SMT6, but I have been playing with a MAFterburner recently and I really like it. The display is very easy to read, it's easy to tune with the sliders, you can use two different maps, and the logging is good. It's easy to install and works with several different wideband feeds.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've got a question about the types of chips required for the SMT6 & Mafterburner.

Here is a quote I got from someone who has installed a MAF system onto his AFM based 911. This guy programs his own chips and is giving some pointers on programming the DME chip.

On the EPROM there's a "air flow meter transform" table that has to be redone to match the new mass air meter curve. This is the tricky part and I could never explain it in one e-mail. The response curve of the hot film meter looks a lot different from the flapper and can not be done correctly with the existing code so you really have to re-write some code to make it work well.

There's an air-temp compensation table that has to be "flattened." You don't need air-temp compensation for fuel because the fot film meter is measuring air mass flow.

The fuel tables are for fine-tuning. If the air flow meter transform function is done right, the fuel tables will not require much work to get the car running well.

Reprogramming Motronic for different injector flow-rates is a real pain, especially on the 964 and newer cars. What makes it so difficult is that Motronic uses injector pulse-width to represent load so injector pulse-width is referenced in a lot of places.

From what I understand, Vitesse chips are programmed with all these conversions and can run a MAF equipped car without the SMT6 (if needed) much like an Autothority set up. The SMT6 piggyback is used as a fine tuning (voltage in/voltage out) device.

Does the Mafterburner require a MAF programmed chip to run it's MAF system? I didn't see anything on the Lindsey site stating this. All I see are questions whether customers already have MAF system that are problematic. Plus, I don't see any chips in their MAF kits that they sell. Can AFM based chips be used with a Mafterburner MAF set up?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:53 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pauerman

From what I understand, Vitesse chips are programmed with all these conversions and can run a MAF equipped car without the SMT6 (if needed) much like an Autothority set up. The SMT6 piggyback is used as a fine tuning (voltage in/voltage out) device.
this is correct, my car has an autothority MAF and i ran it with the vitesse chips before i got the SMT6 installed. it is noteworthy that other aftermarket chips were unable to get my car running, but the vitesse chips worked with no problems.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:44 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Pauerman, the information you shared is very valuable. Vitesse uses the correct MAF transfer function.. Each MAF has a unique curve therefore a unique transfer function. We are able to select in our chips whatever MAF curve we want. This translates to smooth running, no hesitation.... We are able to change MAF sensors, use the correct transfer function and no need to change fuel/timing.
We have converted a AFM 911 to use a MAF and we experimented with the various MAF available.....
The PiggyBack (SMT6) is to fine tune the setup to match your car 100%. Of course you get the dual: Fuel, Ignition, boost maps and Data Logging with tracing etc....

Quick Reply: Mafterburner vs. Smt6