Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mafterburner vs. Smt6

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 12:15 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So John your saying even with the SMT6 or Mafterburner you still need proper chips to match the maf?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:24 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by por951turbo
So John your saying even with the SMT6 or Mafterburner you still need proper chips to match the maf?
That is correct! The PB (SMT6 or Mafterburner) massage the MAF signal. The MAF signal is used to calculate the LOAD. If the MAF signal is massaged in such a way that the DME is calculating the incorrect LOAD value, The AFR might be fine however the timing can be off.

Many people use the AFM chips with the MAF & PiggyBack, however it's not the approach that I recommend.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:35 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks John. I think I was given some wrong info. Would I need to go back and retune after changing the chips?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:49 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

When you get Vitesse MAF chips, you will have to start with "0" settings "no signal massaging", then you fine tune to your car. Fine tuning allows you to alter the MAF signal, but you will not be making such drastic changes as to affect the correct LOAD calculation as seen by the DME.
Fine tuning is needed to bring the system togetther to match your car 100%.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the only MAF controllers that can use AFM chips are the ones that convert the MAF signal back to a volume based signal that the DME understands.

The Split Second PSC1 does this - it is a PB signal converter that takes the MAF sensor output and applies a transfer function to convert the MAF signal to match the curve of the AFM signal. By doing this, the DME sees no change and functions as thought the AFM still exists. So, using AFM based chips when going to a MAF set up is possible with this system. I don't beliveve the other common PB's used on our cars offer this feature - they are straight voltage in/voltage out signal massagers.

That is why I was questioning the Mafterburner system - I get the impression that Lindsey markets their MAF controllers to be compatible with any type of chip. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen any mention of specific chips needed to run their set up. I don't believe the Mafterburner operates as a signal converter like the PSC1, so I believe it requires MAF based chips like the Vitesse stuff in order to work properly - properly being the key word!

Vic
Old 09-24-2004, 09:14 AM
951power

FromLR mafterburner site!

7. Can the Mafterburner TM be used in conjunction with aftermarket “chips”? Yes. 9. Why was the Mafterburner TM developed? The Mafterburner TM was developed as a tool for giving performance enthusiasts the capability to adjust a late-model, computer-controlled engine’s air/fuel mixture in an intuitive and noninvasive way. More specifically, with the Mafterburner TM , an engine tuner can now adjust air/fuel mixture directly and without having to drudge through loads of cryptic hexadecimal data (base16 numerals….0-9 & A-F). The most basic benefit of this product is that it allows the user to recalibrate his own mass-air meter.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

You've missed the point and are reiterating what I've previously stated with your quote.

What type of aftermarket chip is the question. Aftermarket MAF based chips like Autothority - YES no problem for Mafterburner.

But what about AFM based aftermarket chips??

Read the previous posts again and you'll see why this is an important issue
Old 09-24-2004, 12:46 PM
951power

When I purchased the LR mafterburner I asked them if I could use my aftermarket AFM based chip.
I was told: " this is no problem..."

Maybe I should try some MAF-based chip, and see how that works out.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:38 PM
special tool
Banned

You guys in the market for something new - make sure you copare all the features.
The SMT6 comes with a base map for around 600 vehicles.
you have standalone ignition control (dwell)
you have complete control over all motronic fuel cells
you can do LOAD dependant boost or h2o
I soldered the thing into my harness in literally less than 1 hour
you can wire a ground switch to change maps from memory

You will end up paying yourself around 50 cents an hour for the extra pain in the *** for figuring out the connections yourself - if you don't buy from John.
And if anyone asks me how to do it for free, please send me your address, so I can come to your house and bitch-slap you.

Quick Reply: Mafterburner vs. Smt6