Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Very Bad Night

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 03:23 AM
Marc944T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Very Bad Night

Tonight I was driving my girlfriend home and I went over a hill and their was a huge rock in the middle of the road. When I saw it, it was too late. I ran it over and put a hole in my oil pan. I need help does anyone know of someone selling one or where I can get one without spending too much. Please someone help me out I miss my baby already. It is an 86 951. Thankyou for any information possible.
Marc
Old 09-18-2004, 03:45 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Where do you live?
I have an early oil pan...
Old 09-18-2004, 03:45 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks man, at least nothing worse happened.

Read the next few pages of this forum, there are one or two cars being parted.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:05 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Marc,

You can try to call www.partsheaven.com. It is a Porsche wreck yard, and they should have one around at a resonable price. I live 15 minutes away from them and I have bought from them -- these guys know what they are doing.

Best wish,
- Alex.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:56 PM
melted
Intermediate

Its not the oil pan its all the bloody work you have to do to change it. If you jump on clarks site they have a procedure for changing rod bearings. If you are going to go to all the trouble to drop the suspension and support the engine you might as well change the rod bearings while you are there. Some other people can chime in but you are so close and its so expensive to do later (especially if one fails)

I might still have one that I was going to have the baffle update done, but I cant remember if I sold it. So many parts so hard to remember them all will check on monday if you need.

On the upside I hit a set of steel plates in the road that took out both wheels and tires and my insurance covered it under comprehensive because it was road debris.(It didnt raise my rates ) You might want to check with your insurance man.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Change the oil pan gasket (duh) along with the pan, add a baffle if you didn't have one. Do the rod bearings, do the piston rings (might as well) and headgasket & engine mounts too. The metal from the busted pan didn't get caught in the moving internals did it? Check for shavings.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Change the oil pan gasket (duh) along with the pan, add a baffle if you didn't have one. Do the rod bearings, do the piston rings (might as well) and headgasket & engine mounts too. The metal from the busted pan didn't get caught in the moving internals did it? Check for shavings.
Sounds a bit extreme for a busted oil pan don't you think? Rod bearings and engine mounts I can see, but rings and head?????? A 8 hour job just turned into a three week project.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:19 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

I have an 86 oil pan. email if you like.
lance.mason@dccnet.com
Old 09-18-2004, 11:32 PM
ewainwright
Racer

My heart goes out to you. You and your girl friend are alright, I hope. In the end that is all that matters. I hope that you shut her down immediately after you lost oil pressure. No matter how bad things are they could always be worse. This will pass

Jeremy,

You are one focused individual. I just changed my oil pan gasket, bearings, crush rings, added My Swiss’s brackets, and the power steering lines that I managed to destroy while was at it. 14 hours with a lift, power tools and a second set of hands. PITA. I had to cut My Swiss brackets around the oil stick. Does the bearings need much of a break in period?
Old 09-19-2004, 12:55 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, Mark. I'm glad that you and your girlfriend were not hurt. Good luck in your acquiring replacement parts and getting your baby back on the road in a timely manner.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:04 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By installing an oil pan baffle (and o-ring the oil pick up tube) a plus for a street car?

Im due for an oil pan gasket replacement after a couple of thousand miles.........still thinking of to add/not to add a baffle kit.

Quick Reply: Very Bad Night