Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I can't take it anymore - if you don't know...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 03:53 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh. seacay, you do realize i was refering to the fact that tec3 = coil pack = crank trigger = no distributor. right? not some 'ooh look at me i anodized **** under my hood' trend.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:03 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Moffy,

Where did you mount your coils? I need to make up a bracket soon... but not sure where I should mount them, the obvious place is opposite the stock dizzy...
Old 09-18-2004, 04:04 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could just read the title.

He isint bashing guy's for not knowing and asking werid question's. He is bashing those very same guy's for trying to give advice on problem's they know absolutely nothing about. It' s always okay not to know and to have a passion for learning. It's not okay to give advice about something that you have only read about and truely don't understand. People take what is said on the board seriously and sometime's someone might try something that someone say's and cause some damage.

I remember awhile back someone telling someone(can't remember who....been too long) that the stumbling problem's he was having was obviously detionation and his motor is prolly toast. The guy had some simple fuel delivery problem and this guy told him that his motor was prolly toast and he needs to take it to a professional before anymore serious damage is done.

I was reading that like wtf. How the hell could you know that for sure. You would want to rule out 20+possibilites before you went to that extreme. What was even funnier was the stumbling was from a rich condition not a lean one. You can't detionate in rich conidtion's.

Anyways I replied and told the guy to start checking some certain thing's and not to believe that his motor was toast and there was some major rod failure(the guy also told him he could throw a rod through his block and that was a possiblity) and it ended badly. The guy took it personally and started attacking me and all this stuff.

Bottom line if you don't know or don't have something real to contribute(other than your motor is prolly toast) then don't reply.

Or if your atleast unsure about your advice make sure you state that fact right off. I have learned so much from these forum's and getting advice from expeirenced mechanic's. Without rennlist who know's where I would be. I didn't know **** when I was driving my first N/A porsche. Now I have dropped rear torision bar's,axle's,fuel system,turbo,headgasket replacement,ect.ect.

Not to mention I finally got to a point where I do all my basic stuff like oil changes and brakes. Rennlist rules and thankgod no one called me stupid when I bent my valve's.

Yeah you guy's remember that. The motor was at TDC but, I forgot to tighten down the front two main bolt's with the belt assembly after moving the pulley to pull the belt off of the cam gear. Started the car and boom. Bye bye valve's. Damn that was a bad day. You live you learn. Now I take Matt H's advice and anytime I having the cam tower off or I am doing something more than a oil change I tape a huge piece of paper to my steering wheel with a check list on it.

Thanks again for that one Matt....great freggin idea and it works too.
Anyways sorry for the rant. Blah.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:51 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Karl, you are another guy who is missing the point of my thread. Read what I wrote, not what you expect to read, dude.
I did read what you wrote bud, and i responded to it in my post if you would have read it.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:40 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

stop the pissing contest you two, jesus.

nz, lets keep this thread relevant, pm me if you need more info (the coil packs are where the factory HVAC blower was).
Old 09-19-2004, 08:14 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, alright, he has a little bit of a point.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:13 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmoffitt
I couldn't have said it better - having swapped engines in and out of the car 3 times now, and built a bar chassis back up to something remotely resembling a car, there are still TONS of things I have to look up or ask advice on, thankfully there are people like Chris Cervelli and Chris White (I guess 951 gurus get to change their name to Chris?) and many others here on the 'list who are very knowledgeable and accessible too... but I still think as people have said, you have to verify things - like, try and look something up in a set of factory manuals and just post to clarify something or explain it further (for example, the 90-degree-bent 'local tool' aka screwdriver for taking off the distributor which i've yet to see/need/use).

I've learned from some rather expensive mistakes too, we all make knuckle-headed moves from time to time, I just wish more people would post them when they do so we can learn - but people here seem too uptight about their 'reputation' (as if it matters) and can't be bothered to say, yup, i screwed up...

...or Chris Prack. Yeah, what is it with the "Chris" goofballs?

I agree, very well said, Rich. I'll drink to that.

Speaking of weird/dumb questions... what is BBS short for? Aaaand that one that starts with a Y... like YFIM or something. What is that one all about? Still scratching my head...
Old 09-20-2004, 10:53 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary
Old 09-20-2004, 02:25 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

BBS=bulletin board system
Old 09-20-2004, 04:41 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

A HA! Thanx guys, I appreciate it
Old 09-20-2004, 09:11 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Amen to that and no one is perfect.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:42 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoffitt
uh. seacay, you do realize i was refering to the fact that tec3 = coil pack = crank trigger = no distributor. right? not some 'ooh look at me i anodized **** under my hood' trend.
dm:

Uh, yes, I know what you're talking about (I have those same little gizmos too).

My point was that Electromotive uses purple ano, as well as everything Kokeln makes. Unless you have a black or yellow car, I'd rather see another color ano than purple. My only point.

Carry on...

Quick Reply: I can't take it anymore - if you don't know...