Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I can't take it anymore - if you don't know...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:22 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifosiman
"What is this green stuff leaking from the front of my car?"
ROFL!!

Isint that the brand new oil Mobil 1 came out with. It's supposed to help turbo spool and monkey power.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:28 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
ROFL!!

Isint that the brand new oil Mobil 1 came out with. It's supposed to help turbo spool and monkey power.
To further this conversation on stupidity, there was also a guy on there that drove around with the hood latch removed on his car, and...........SUPRISE! The hood flew up when at speed and smashed his windsheild. This same lister also drove around with his header panel unbolted, and it fell off and he ran over it.

Then there was the other guy that recently asked if he could just remove his rear brakes and drive around without them.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the fault of the latest press in all the magazines. The morons see it in print and rush online to Autotrader/Ebay and see that they can buy one for a few thousand. Then they apply their usual bright ideas, and poof...........instant idiots on Rennlist.
I blame the f$cker from European Car!
Old 09-15-2004, 11:41 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

I fear for the future of mankind. I think that the problem is that the smart, gifted types are generally not reproducing at the same rate that stupid people are.
Your fears are well founded. Would you want your gifted offspring to live among the results of those breeders?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:08 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Then there was the other guy that recently asked if he could just remove his rear brakes and drive around without them.
The answer is .... Yes!

Amen!

I've never understood why people can't qualify their statements...
I see newbs walking in taking answers from some very scary sources who don't qualify their statements.

I think asking what the green stuff leaking under your hood is fine.
The same guy answering a question about what spring rates to run is not.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:22 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Shouldn't it be pink stuff any way
Old 09-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

What color coolant should I run if I've converted to monkey power? Pink? Green? Orange? Straight water? Are monkeys allergic to water wetter?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:49 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by turbite
The answer is .... Yes!

Amen!

I've never understood why people can't qualify their statements...
I see newbs walking in taking answers from some very scary sources who don't qualify their statements.

I think asking what the green stuff leaking under your hood is fine.
The same guy answering a question about what spring rates to run is not.
True.

The guy that had the problem with his hood and header panel was giving advice on how to diagnose a transmission problem the same week.

It would be nice (but totally impossible) if somehow Rennlist had the ability to place a rating next to a posters name, so that the info spewed forth could be given some sort of credibility, like (from best to worst):

Speaks the Gospel
4th Generation Porsche Mechanic
Accurate most of the time
Gives good advice when taking meds
Should be kept away from tools
Uncle was a mechanic
Knows enough to be dangerous
Newbie (could know it all, but should be taken with a grain of salt)
Old 09-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, I was justing having some humble pie with friends and we have leftovers. Anyone want some?

Sheesh - yes, senseless posting is sometimes a real nuisance. Seemingly thoughtful answers that are dead wrong can be very troublesome and even dangerous. Stupid human tricks, while amusing, usually tend to garner negative attention from the masses. However, many of us have asked the most basic of question about any subject and had it answered without malice or contempt. Drawing a line between stupidity and ignorance can be very difficult. Ignorance is acceptable in almost any form, and, stupidity should be forgiven.

Painting the interior with spray paint isn't too smart. However, didn't he already give the obligatory and universal 'smacks-head-against-wall' symbol. There are spray paints on the market now for plastics and also for vinyls and leathers. Through inexperience and absense of forethought, he chose poorly. Very similar to the time I wore tennis shoes while grooming my horse, and, of course, paid dearly for that.

One of my first questions to the Porsche lists (pre-rennlist, porschephiles or porsche fans at the time) was "what does 'na' mean?" I got the answer and don't remember being belittled for not knowing - though, the jokes did role in... like "no ***" and "no acceleration" - good humor. Had I been, at that early stage in the forum game, maybe I would have chosen to speak to real people who aren't so indignant with the keyboard as their sword.

One of my finer moments in 'duh-ness' was when I shot FLAMES out the timing belt inspection hole next to the distributor cap after firing some belt lubricant in their while the engine was running - to get the whole belt, of course. Afterward, I contemplated the chemical composition of propellants and the ingredients of the fire triangle. Then, gave the obligatory and universal 'smacks-head-against-wall' symbol.

FWIW, green liquid leaking from the front of the car could also be windshield wiper fluid. I believe it's the "severe-cold-weather" formula that is normally green.

There's one thing I know for sure - I don't know everything.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Good post Skip. I'm hoping that "we" haven't scared off some people from asking legit tech questions in the future for fear of being run off the board. Quite a few "Comic Book Guy" types here (Simpsons reference).
Old 09-15-2004, 04:00 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Hey I never said I knew everything, the majority of the above conversation was just poking fun. We are all newbs at the beginning. If you do the things that those posters did, and then post about them on Renn, you should expect a good ribbing. We are nowhere near as rough as other forums out there.

If I ever said I was perfect and never make a mistake, then I would be happy to have a piece of humble pie, extra large, with whipped cream on top.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:08 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started this post about people who ANSWER questions, not about silly questions. Noone (sane) is bothered by a seemingly simple question. But if you have no mech. experience, then answer tech. questions here, I am going to bust your *****.

Now do I have to start a thread about posters who don'y READ the initial post?
Old 09-15-2004, 04:08 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

It's like my ole' pappy used to tell me............

It's far better to keep your mouth shut and let folks THINK you're an idiot
than it is to open your mouth and PROVE you're an iodit!
Old 09-15-2004, 04:16 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

I'm sorry. Apparently I was in the wrong here.

I'll shut up now. If I'm already labled as an idiot for speaking my mind, so be it.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, tool. My response was to the thread as a whole. Had I been responding directly to you, I might have offered the following:

What makes you think you know everything? Are you... special?

Getting the diz cap off is no small task. We all have our favorite ways - I usually recommend folks run without them.

Now, do I have to start a thread about those who do not proof read their posts and at least try to spell things right and use appropriate punctuation? <<please, refer to the face - I didn't come here to fight - I'm only here for the beer

Quick Reply: I can't take it anymore - if you don't know...