Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New NC 951 owner !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 12:25 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a very nice car...If it helps your doghouse efforts, I'd say you could drive that car for free for the next couple of years depending on what (knock on wood) service issues may come up...

Great buy - love the color with the black Fuchs...
Old 09-14-2004, 03:38 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The 951 in Stone Grey Metallic....is simply BOSS
Old 09-14-2004, 04:55 PM
mulsanne
Advanced

Default thanks

Yeah I hope she holds up, has had all of the items replaced timing belt, water pump and clutch, and I have all of the records from 96 on, plus the window sticker and original purchase info................
Old 09-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default An Upgrade Path

The request for suggested upgrade paths comes up on a regular basis, so I have come up with a list that I like, which I’ll throw in from time to time:

The following assumes that all basic mechanicals are in tip top order (no ugly sounds, recent timing belt, minimal fluid leaks, tight bushings and engine mounts, good shocks, wheels aligned, high temp brake fluid, no leaking exhaust, etc.).

1 Boost controller and remove cycling valve
2 Chips
3 Wastegate
4 Thermal coating/wrapping/shielding (between engine and turbo) (+260 HP)
5 Larger injectors (72 lb or more) and higher capacity fuel pump (+ revised chips or change FQS setting if GURU chips)
6 MLS head gasket and possibly or O-ringed head (while head is off thermally coat valve heads and combustion chambers) and upgrade ignition (better coil and capacitor)
7 Port water injection (+ revised chips, +300 HP)
8 Water injection controller (+ revised chips, +350 HP)
9 Better brake cooling
10 Stiffer suspension (springs, shocks and sway bars)
11 MAF or MAP system (+ revised chips, +400 HP)
12 Larger turbo (+ revised chips, ++400 HP)

Ad 1) allows for slightly more and better control of boost
Ad 2) removes boost limit and paves to way for following upgrades especially if GURU chips are chosen
Ad 3) the standard wastegate is a limiting factor for maximum boost
Ad 4) this gives potential for more boost, but is a also a benefit for reliability, keeping engine room temperatures down
Ad 5) OEM injectors and fuel pump limit the power to between 250 and 300 HP
Ad 6) the standard head gasket is a well-known weakness. Since this is a “soft” failure (if detected early) it may be OK to wait with the upgrade until the failure occurs. The thermal coating gives a small power increase, but also enhances the lifespan of the components.
Ad 7) gives a minor direct power increase, but allows much higher boost without detonation (30 psi verified) and therefore major indirect power increase. This step only includes a pressure switch, which results in a too little water at high boost and high rpm
Ad 8) this gives the option to optimize the water injection for any rpm and load and should keep boost constant with rpm
Ad 9) with the added power it is now time to improve the brake cooling
Ad 10) the original suspension is quite soft and very marginal for the track
Ad 11) the standard induction system is now pushed to the limit and the AFM pushed beyond, making it difficult to program the chips to cover all load and rpm combinations. This also paves the way for a larger turbo
Ad 12) the K26-6 or-8 is now pushed to the limit at high rpm. The larger turbo will sacrifice low-end boost and spool-up time though

The frequent chip upgrades could be substituted with a stand alone engine management unit, but that too would need equally frequent software upgrades. Unfortunately its acquisition and installation cost would be much higher than the sum of the chip upgrades.

Well, this is my path with more emphasis on water injection than most. Danno and I are working on commercializing the port water injection, so everybody can have the same (safe) fun.

Laust
Old 09-14-2004, 10:42 PM
HAMMER502
Instructor

I WOULD SUGGEST TALKING TO KEITH AT EUROWERKS.HE IS THE MOST KNOWLEDGABLE 951 OWNER I KNOW.YOU COULD SPEAK TO HIM AT 704-882-6466.HE IS A GREAT SOURCE FOR UPGRADE IDEAS.GOOD LUCK AND GREAT LOOKING CAR.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

SLURP...! (drool-control switched OFF)
Old 09-19-2004, 08:08 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That IS a sweet looking car !
Old 09-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in Raleigh NC as well. I'd like to check out your car sometime...
Ahmet

Quick Reply: New NC 951 owner !!