Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My compressor blades are broken, so do I worry about my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The turbo vanes are aluminum? I swore they were steel. If they're aluminum I almost wonder if it doesn't matter than, since the aluminum is far softer than the alusil coating of the cylinder bores AND the pistons - in theory it wouldn't scratch 'em. In reality it probably would a little, but that's not nearly as worrisome. I'm also concerned about whatever caused the damage in the first place - if it's a bolt, those are ferrous and any chips of that floating around would get picked up by the magnet. Of course it'd help to know what it was, still no sign of any foreign object.

Nobody out there's got a boroscope, eh?

I'll consider the 3L block when I get these cars done in other ways - it'd be a sweet conversion to be sure though! I'd just like to get everything else done and have them working properly first - this one operating correctly, all the "little" stuff taken care of, etc. Then I've got to finish the money pit. . . er. . . Callaway car. THEN I'll worry about the big mods to this one. For now, I just want it more-or-less stock and running.

Eventually I'd love to build a bored 3L block with turbocharging and a whole lot of other fun stuff - that's a long long way away though. . .
Old 09-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me back in 1998, all of the blades were sheered were sitting in a pile in the compressor inlet. Didn't find anything in the intercooler other then oil.

Quick Reply: My compressor blades are broken, so do I worry about my engine?