Brakus Maximus

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts
Default Brakus Maximus

I'm currently in a location that hinders a good search of the internet, but I find myself with some time, which I'm going to try to put to good use.

I'm looking to build a track only braking system for a 951. So far I have the Tilton pedal assy, 3 master cylinders, remote balance bar adjuster, and big red calipers for all 4 corners. What I'm looking for is someone that offers a 4 corner rotor assembly with as much of the following specifications as possible:
- Aluminum hats (proper alloy and heat treat)
- Fully floating ventilated rotors from reputable mfr. (no drilling or slotting)
- Dog drive hat to rotor (or at least something that uses proper fasteners)
- Readily available rotors for track replacement (don't have to order from Timbuktu)
-Compatible with the big red calipers

Will it be expensive? Sure. Am I concerned about that? No.

Any help from someone that has done this, seen it on a track car, or knows of a vendor that can offer me the parts, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that Kokeln <http://www.kokeln.com/> makes what you are looking for.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I run a set of VehicleCraft's floating rotors and believe those would meet your reqs. Mine are stock-sized, they make them with the larger rotor (and the hats are compatible with both) for the Big Reds - I'll likely be making that upgrade soon since I've got the calipers sitting around collecting dust now. I've not had a chance to track them yet since getting them, but I have no reason to think they won't perform.

http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/vciweb3.htm

Sam
Old 09-10-2004, 02:24 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Looking at both sites, I'm only seeing kits for the front. I realize that this brings up the argument on whether it's needed in the rear. I'm sure most will say no. Perhaps that's the right thing after all. But if anyone has seen this stuff on the tail end, I'd like to hear about it.

Sam, thanks for the reminder on VCI. Their dog drive stuff is exactly what I'm looking for. Plus, they don't anodize everything purple <vbg>.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think VCI does actually have a rear setup, but it removes parking brake capability, and is not listed on their site (only the replacement outer rotor) - I'd call or e-mail them and ask about it. I meant to but then put the brakes on back burner, as I'm now looking at what you already solved, the master cylinder issue. They're definitely not needed on the rear either way. We're already going to have to tone down the rears with a bias valve, more rear braking power OR heat handling are both overkill.

On the ano issue, I've enjoyed stripping ano off ugly purple parts and having a local ano shop do custom colors for me.

Let me know how things progress! We're walking similar paths.

Sam
Old 09-11-2004, 04:22 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Sam:

Yes, it sounds as if we are. You'll need to flip me some pictures when you can. Don't look for me to return the favor for another year or so ; )

Trying to e-mail VCI, the system I'm on won't let me use the hyperlink from VCI's website. Can you give me the address so I can type it in manually?

One thing I'm going to look into is the new 6 piston front caliper that they are offering. It looks like Roy Chong has this system on his car already. Damn keeping up with the Jones'....
Old 09-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Their e-mail is doug914 [at] optonline.net

They've had that GT3 6-piston upgrade on their website and in development for a while - really sweet setup, I never looked into it due to cost. Their customer cars read like a who's who of 951 racing, there are some very impressive setups in there.

Sam

Quick Reply: Brakus Maximus