Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Buying 86 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 10:44 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 86 951

Wanted to get your thoughts on this. It's a black 1986 turbo 944. it has the leather seat option, sun roof, muted gold fucs. AC works. Inside is immaculate, some where on the side of the seats from getting in and out. 125,000 miles. dealer maintained only. the owner bought it in 87 with 10,000 miles on it. the belts need to be done. had an accident in 98 front end new intercooler and front clip. new clutch last year asking $6000. It does have two items to be fixed.

1) power assist on the brakes is not working. doesn't seam to be the master cylinder. I was able to drive it fine but the brakes were hard.
2) The dealer told him the blow off valve needs replacing. When hard on it in 2nd and 3rd, towards the top of the rpm range its like the motor just cuts out. it did this twice while I test drove it and it seamed to be an accurate assessment of the problem.

The owner was very forth giving of any issues and did not seam to be hiding anything. I think it looks to be a great buy and wanted your thoughts on it.

-T
Old 09-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Well when it was cutting out in second and third was it like slaming on the brakes? If so could be the factory overboost protection cutting in. Is he running any type of boost enhancers with the factory chips?
Old 09-05-2004, 10:54 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Not slamming on brakes, like engine shutting off. when I let up on the gas every thing was normal again. He did not say anything about after market chips. He did not come across as some one who would modify anything.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:57 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how bad was the wreck? is the frame bent, my car was in a wreck before I bought it and didn't find out till the car was shipped and bought. a previously wrecked 951 should dump the price significantly.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:02 PM
ttwirz
Racer

He said it was a minor rearend. the frame was not bent. The car rode straight and smooth when I drove it. He has the dealer reciet and the nose clip and intercooler were the major itms replaced. If he would not have told me I would have never noticed.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:58 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you are hitting fuel cut.

A blown deverter valve on our car's(note we don't have BOV's) makes a turkey gobble sound when the thottle is suddenly shut off or a new gear is selected.

This can be bad because it can lead to compressor surge as well. Luckily a new factory deverter valve is 35 bucks.

86 car's are the most common and come with the least amount of option's also being that this one was in a accident 6k would be about the most I would ever spend on a 86.

I paid 7.2k for my 88 model and it came with perfect records dating back to 20k miles.....it also had ton's of recent rebuild's and upgrade's...so don't settle for a car just because you think it's clean...make sure it's what you want and the price is right. It's a buyer's market.

Offer him 5 cash if it clear's a clean PPI and see if he takes it.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:06 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I say move on and look for another 86... If you have to have it, get a ppi done somewhere other then the dealer that services the car and beat him up on the price... The fact that it was hit hard enough to need an intercooler scares me...
Old 09-06-2004, 01:25 PM
ttwirz
Racer

fuel cut off seams like an accurate description. When getting my sc dialed in on my NA there were some mega lean situations and it was a similar feeling. on the 951 it was more of an on / off back on once the throttle was lifted. the accident was a slide under a bumper situation and thats what dented the intercooler. I think I'll have the car looked over and maybe offer hi 5500. He does have records covering the life of the car except the first 10,000 miles. the inside dash and everything is shiny clean, it's never been driven in winter. not a ding or anything. When I saw the care it was in a Wallmart parking lot parked way out buy its self so it seams that he really has cared for the car. from the feedback received it seams the boost cut off is the main thing I should narrow down and find out what is causing it. I believe the front end damage was as simple as he stated. when driving it it road straight nothing weird in handling or anything. I was on a deserted road and had it up to 135 and it road clean and straight, their was a slight vibration in the wheel so barings might need some repacking of simply a wheel balance.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:00 PM
ttwirz
Racer

I offered 5000 and the look on his face was not good. ended up settling on 5500 I pick it up tomorrow. I am now the proud owner of a 951 happy day. Thanks for your feed back. It was helpful in the negotiation.

Quick Reply: Buying 86 951