Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Someone please tell me the turbo isn't toast. . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 03:30 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, good luck... for your sake, i hope its not what it is... er, what i think it is... but if it is, buy that turbo!
~Eyal
Old 08-30-2004, 03:35 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Would that one bolt up? I really don't like the thought of it (funds are getting kind of strapped now), but I suppose if I must. . .
Old 08-30-2004, 03:40 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

"if I must" ahh, such a great phrase in the world of 944's.
It will bolt up. what it is, is a turbo S hotside, coupled to a 930 cold side. nice turbo for a car you dont plan on taking past 350RWHP or so.
~Eyal
Old 08-30-2004, 03:46 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

just find out what happened first...
here, this photo will serve two purposes... one to soften the blow if this is what you see, and second, LOOK! theres that metal peice your looking for, isnt it!
~Eyal
Old 08-30-2004, 03:48 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

*shudder*

Well. . . how long does it take to yank the j-boot. I'm tempted to run outside and do it right now even if it is almost midnight. I might as well if it's a quick look-see kind of thing!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:51 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

well, pull the intercooler pipe, the hoses connected to the j boot, then yank it off. this way it will be a bit tight to work in there, but thats really all you HAVE to remove>~
Eyal
Old 08-30-2004, 03:52 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'm going to sleep now, so I'll check tomorrow afternoon how this went for you.
~Eyal
Old 08-30-2004, 05:20 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

OK - if I have time in the AM (might be kind of tight seeing as I have to go run and leave extra time since I'm driving & not riding a motorcycle) I'll pull the boot then. If not, I'll do it tomorrow night.

Wanna buy that turbo for me? I'll pay ya' for it when the time comes

Let's see whether that's the problem or not. I wonder if a sticky BOV could (1) cause reduced boost and (2) cause that kind of "shrieking" sound I'm hearing. I guess we'll have to wait and see. The good news is I have a Greddy BOV off the Callaway kit I could swap on there to see, but I think I'm going through the "denial" stage. I still have to go through "anger", "bargaining", "depression" and finally "acceptance". We shall see.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:51 AM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Did the guy you bought it from tell you these things were screwed up and you got a cheap price or did he tell you everything was good?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Nope, he said everything was good as far as he knew - I started it / ran it two weeks ago and drove it last week; everything seemed then. He didn't seem like the type to just say "oh, it's sold so I'll go out and beat the hell out of it". He just seemed a bit - shall we say - un-knowledgeable about Porsches. He said he was the second owner and hadn't driven it that much and didn't need another car as it turned out. I suppose this was all plausible and seemed to be backed up by the carfax report I bought. The original owner seems to have taken extremely good care of it - the seats and dash are in excellent shape, the paint is very good, etc. There's also a test pipe, which leads me to believe he was somewhat into performance (the car failed smog inspection in 2002, so I suspect that's why). Shortly after (in late 2003) the car was sold, which jives with this guy's story.

I'll go look at the turbo; I just seriously hope there's nothing wrong with it. I really don't feel like eating the cost of one of those. If that's the case, I'm placed in the unpleasant position of "do I drive the car or not" for at least a couple of months to save up for one, keeping in mind that I have a 35-mile commute each way to work every day. Fortunately I do also have my motorcycle, but that's kaputt at the moment in need of a replacement chain (which I have, just need to put it on). I bought this car largely because I'm sick of SUV-bound soccer moms nearly killing me every day on the bike. This problem would financially put me right back on the bike for at least two or three months, and put my hopes for having the Callaway car done in time for 944fest right out the window (at least the windows work)

I'll keep you all posted. If it DOES end up being the turbo, does anyone out there have a spare one they're willing to let go for CHEAP or as part of a parts swap or something? Maybe at the upcoming swap meet?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The pegged volt meter indicates a failed voltage regulator. Won't take long and you'll boil your battery under those circumstances.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

God damn it. I already hate this ****ing car. Anyone want to buy a 951 for what I paid for it? $6500 and it's YOURS - no questions asked. I already hate this piece of ****.

I just pulled the j-boot and this one's terminal. Turbo impeller blades are chewed up some; not as bad as Eyal's but I imagine enough to throw it out of balance and create the noise I'm hearing. Unfortunately I have no choice but to drive it to work that way and hope nothing "lets" go and goes through the engine also. I'll have to replace the chain on my motorcycle tonight and just ride that for the next 2-3 months or however long it takes me to sell this hunk of **** and get something else.

Seriously, anyone want it - just come get it. I hate this goddamn thing.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:08 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you seriously shouldn't drive it that way. hitch a ride if you have to. pull the intercooler off and see if there is crap in there. hopefully the intercooler caught any debris before it made it to the engine. you be better off fixing it instead of selling it as is. you could part is out, but that's more work than just fixing the problem, assuming the engine isn't toast.

DON'T DRIVE IT!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm

DON'T DRIVE IT!
I have to agree. With the length of commute you're talking, the battery will be fried (ask me how I know), and the rest of the issues certainly won't get any better. It could only get worse by driving it right now.

You have an alternator from the other project? That would at least solve that problem. Sucks about the turbo, but there's usually a few K26/6's floating around the boards that people would let you have for cheap.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:28 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Jeff,
Has the car already passed smog for the title transfer or did you assume that as buyer in writing. As you are aware it's the sellers responsiblity; no smog no sale, it's the law That might give you an exit if you "really" hate it that much. I hope this all works out for you, what a shame for your 1st 951.

Quick Reply: Someone please tell me the turbo isn't toast. . .