Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Someone please tell me the turbo isn't toast. . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 02:53 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Jeff
Check the write up by Tom M'Ginn. It's great
If you send me your email I will send you the Word Doc ..
Regards
Ed
Good luck
Old 08-31-2004, 07:20 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pics of the damage - WARNING!!! NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!!

OK, I took about a half hour this morning before work and pulled the J boot. As I mentioned before, the turbo is most definitely toasted. Here's the damage. You have been warned - look not upon these images should your stomach be weak, mere mortal!

Needless to say, I'm less than thrilled about this. I think this weekend's goal is going to be (1) get my n/a car (Callaway-to-be) back together and at least running as an n/a for now - that way I have a working car and I can free up my garage for this one, (2) go pick up Danno's turbo (thanks Danno!), (3) do the swap if at all possible.

I'm putting out the call to any and all Rennlisters that want to join in. I'm pretty sure I can provide beer and munchies (let me check the bank account); there's no pressure of any sort, all are welcome. The beach is right across the street so there's plenty of good recreation opportunity as well. There are three good bars within walking / stumbling or bus ride distance. Parking absolutely sucks around here though. I'll send PMs to those that asked for them and post here the time, directions, etc. when details become more clear. Mucho thanks to all for the outpouring of sympathy / good advice / support / willingness to help out that's been displayed here. I'll definitely return the favor should it ever be needed.

BTW - anybody that has a spare voltage regulator they'd like to donate or sell (I might not be able to pay for it for a few weeks though), please bring it along. Apparently there's an "overvoltage" condition (see earlier in this thread) that we might as well fix while we're in there.

G'night all!
Old 08-31-2004, 07:25 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Oh, if we're going to get into it, if anyone's got a spare a/c compressor clutch / pulley and the knowledge / means on how to remove / install it, please bring it along, we can do that at the same time. I think I posted that question on the regular 944 forums if anybody is wondering.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:39 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure feel you pain but your lucky, you can get these cheap (or spend extra $$$ and upgrade yours ) which is not in favour now......
Old 08-31-2004, 10:17 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks by the oil, that it was time to pull it and replace the upper and lower o rings anyways
Old 08-31-2004, 10:31 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Karl: i was going to comment on the oil, but thought MAYBE from the bolt/object that enterted the turbo casued the shafts to break/go bad this causing a leak anyway...........
Old 08-31-2004, 11:06 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
BTW - anybody that has a spare voltage regulator they'd like to donate or sell (I might not be able to pay for it for a few weeks though), please bring it along. Apparently there's an "overvoltage" condition (see earlier in this thread) that we might as well fix while we're in there.
Jeff, I've got a spare voltage regulator I haven't touched -- came with a rebuild, but I already have Iceshark's. I can't come help this weekend, but PM me with your address and I'll drop it in the mail for you. It should get there by the weekend.

BTW, what the heck are you doing going off to work at 3:30 in the morning?
Old 08-31-2004, 11:30 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Haha, no the pics were from the morning of Monday; taken about 0630 or so. I just didn't get around to POSTING them until 0330 on Tuesday (that's just the kind of life I have - wonderful, ain't it?) I was up very late replacing a chain on my motorcycle, seeing as that's going to be my mode of transportation for the next few days. The chain had developed waaaaaay too much slack in it and I have to drive about 200 miles today - having a bike chain come loose on you is bad enough (they break things - like your legs, potentially) but in the middle of the desert when we're "under the gun" at work right now. . . boy that wouldn't go over very well. One reason I was hoping to have the car running, but I guess that's just the way things go.

Quick Reply: Someone please tell me the turbo isn't toast. . .