Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A couple of horses found (in the throttle body)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Can someone help me with the thin washers on the shaft. I'm trying to figure out how many I should have and where they go. I got the reseal kit. The instructions say there should be a thin washer under the TPS that must be removed in order to get the snap ring off the shaft. When I removed my TPS, I found no washer under it. So, I removed the snap ring, and pulled out the shaft. When handling the throttle body, an extra thin washer fell out. I'm thinking that washer was under the snap ring. Anyone else find a similar arrangement when they dissassembled?
The same thing happened to me, the washer fell out during handling of the throttle body and I came to the same conclusion, it had to been under the snap ring. Guess I was correct.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I used red loctite on the shaft screws. Any tips on peening over the screws? I fear bending the shaft. What kind of punch have you all used?
I used a flat tip punch with a diameter of 3 mm (or was it 4 mm?). The key here is to use a (Philips?) screwdriver as backing. Just put the screwdriver point up in a wise and hold the throttle body so that the key in the throttle blade screws is on the screwdriver tip and then peen the screws with a flat tip drift or maybe a little with a center punch.

Tomas
Old 06-13-2005, 03:36 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I did mine with a center punch. It just needs to be distorted a little bit.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:42 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

quick question it says 2 O rings go on the TPS side but there is no room on that side to fit it in the groove, but on the spring side there is room for 2???????
Old 06-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Tomas L
Pro

IIRC it was on the TPS side there were two but I'm not positive. The inner one was hard to see, it is inside the needle bearing.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by TRP951
quick question it says 2 O rings go on the TPS side but there is no room on that side to fit it in the groove, but on the spring side there is room for 2???????
Same with mine. I think the instructions were just wrong on that, at least for my 86.

Edit: See post 15 in this thread from Laust, also confirming this.

Quick Reply: A couple of horses found (in the throttle body)