Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

weird car jerking problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default weird car jerking problem

He guys maybe you can help me track my weird problem.

For a few weeks now, when i start accelarating and i get to the transition from vacum to boost the car jerks and the passager mirror goes up and down until i get off the gas.
I don't understand why when i get on the gas the passager mirror move like that. It moves so much that it point up then down and back to normal.
But the mirror is not loose. So its kinda like an electrical glitch or bad ground.

Anybody ever have this problem.
Thanks guys
Old 08-28-2004, 02:17 PM
87Porsche951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car just recently will want to jerk to the left if I am braking hard at higher speeds. I keep a good grip on the steering wheel so it doent actually turn but I can feel the steering jerk and want to steer that way. Only reason I even noticed cause a Toyota truck cut in front of me than put on its brakes on the highway and had to hit the brakes pretty aggressivly to slow down in time to avoid rear ending the guy/gal.

Not the same problem as your car though.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Edman951
Pro

If your car pulls on braking it mean that you have a caliper that is not working good.
Maybe a seezed pistion on the right caliper??
Old 08-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Edman,

Electrical intermitent problems are the worst. The hard acceleration may be enough to cause contact among wires somewhere -- like the mirror control wire hitting something in the DME harness. My low tech first step would be to pull the floor board and door panel off, and start jiggling the wiring harnesses with the motor running to see if you can get the car to stumble or the mirror to move. As you say, it could also be a bad ground somewhere -- especially if the mirror seems to reset itself to the same place. If you got in on the Zeitronix buy or have another datalogger, you may be able to find the signal that is screwing up (or see that they all are, suggesting a grounding issue?).
Old 08-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Edman951
Pro

I went for a drive today. And the jerk doesn't always make the mirror move.
When i get the jerking the A/F ratio on my wideband goes up and down like crazy. I'm starting to think it could be a bad injector or fuel pump or fuel filter????
The weird thing also is that with the map kit, on the hand controller i can see which fuel zone i'm in and when it jerks the zone doesn't change. So its not a tuning problem.
??????
Old 08-29-2004, 03:09 PM
87Porsche951
Instructor

Yeah I talked to soemoen about my car wanting to jerk to one side under hard braking and they think its a seized up caliper piston. I dotn mess with brakes myself cause Im alwasy scared I will **** soemthing up and end up drivign and my brakes goign out and killing my self so I take it to a shop but the shop is a hour away and havent had time to drive there to get it looked at.

Another thign I noticed is when I have the car running just parked and I turn the sterring wheel teh engien revs up a slightyl. I can see teh needle slightly rais and drop back down. I can do this all day if I wanted to if I just turn the steering wheel back and forth. But its very little rev. You woulnt notice it unless you were listening and watching the tach.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:43 AM
Matthew West
Instructor

Check your fuel pressure damper. When it has failed it can cause a bucking and surging; also it is controlled by a vacuum signal.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Edman951
Pro

Thanks Mattew,
That make alot of sence, i will look into it.

Does anybody knwo how to bypass it. ??? ( an easy way)
I will check the search and go in the garage to check it out on my car,

Quick Reply: weird car jerking problem