Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What else should be done when changing exhaust manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 01:08 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What else should be done when changing exhaust manifold?

Greetings,

I have an 87 951 with 120K miles on it. The car is all stock and has up-to-dated maintenance.

The exhaust manifold has leaks, so I am thinking to have a local reputable shop (Heyer Performance, Mountain View, CA) to change the exhaust manifold.

My question is... while removing all the parts to get to the exhaust manifold, any other things should also be done (e.g. vacuum lines, gaskets, hoses, coolant flush, etc. etc.)?

Since it is going to go deep into my pocket for $, I think I might as well bit the bullet and do it all at once…

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. With best regards,
Old 08-24-2004, 01:13 PM
shane rizzo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should change and replace the studs. this is a good time to do this. also get new gaskests as well.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:15 PM
special tool
Banned

I would put a real wastegate on the car. You can get a Tial kit which will be bolt on. The factory wastegate is ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The headers likely have a crack or two in them. You can save big $$ by pulling the header off and taking them to a reputable welding shop, make sure they can weld stainless. Ditto on the exhaust studs but be careful as they can break off and that's another fight, but not one that will require removing the head.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Flight_951
Pro

If you are planning on having the shop put a Porsche replacement manifold on the car for $1800 plus labor, don't bother. SFR sells a really nice header for $895 and your shop's labor charge. I actually just bought one last night (not kidding).
Old 08-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Axhoaxho,

Unlike a lot of projects on this car, the header can come out without needing to take apart lots of other stuff. There is not a lot of "while you are in there" stuff to replace. Exhaust studs and gaskets are all that come to mind. Tony is a good guy. He had my head machined for me, and went to extra mile to get it to me while he was on vacation. A word of caution about after-market headers. In California, fancy shiny headers may raise the eyebrows of the smog police. Tony should be able to fix up your headers or find suitable replacements. If by any chance you still have the old style header without the accordian section, that is a must upgrade item.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:25 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys for all the inputs.

Hi, Tom, thanks for good words about Tony @ Heyer Performance. Everyone spoke highly about Tony. He just went extra miles to get my 951 smog legal at a very reasonable rate.

So far we couldn't pinpoint all the exhaust leaks because some are hidden under the flange. I guess with all the confidence on Tony, I would just ask him to go ahead take the exhaust off, and examine if it can be welded or needs to be replaced.

I might have more questions to ask help from you folks later, when we worked on the car. Thanks in advance.

With best regards,
Old 08-25-2004, 09:44 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You know, it might not be a bad time to pull the oil cooler and do the seals on that, since the manifold will be out of the way.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

I second Karl's suggestion
Old 08-26-2004, 02:01 AM
nize
Banned

just curious, how can you tell if there's an exhaust leak? by not getting enough boost? and how can you pinpoint it? don't you have to remove the headers to locate the leaks?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:21 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Can tell by spraying soapy water on the exhaust manifold during cold start...
Old 08-31-2004, 02:54 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys for all the inputs. Here's a quick update on my exhaust manifold leak -- Tony at Heyer Performance helped took the manifold out and did find a couple cracks on the headers (he said that it took them some good 4 letter words to remove the header ).

Tony has a set of very good shape headers from another 951, and he offered me a good price for this set of header. Also, while the intake was taken out forthe work, I asked Tony to replace all the vacuum lines under the intake, and also changed the ISV. I also asked him to help refill the A/C with some R-12 (good thing that California is somewhat close to Mexico, so many shops here always have a can or two R-12 sitting around )

Since I have heard so much good words from rennlist about Tony and his work, I just let him take care of everything. The work is going to cost me some good $, but oh well....

Mine is a bone stock 87 951 in Diamond Blue, and I plan to keep it pretty much that way... The work should be done tomorrow or Wed, I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all the help, folks

Quick Reply: What else should be done when changing exhaust manifold?