Old 08-19-2004, 10:18 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OT: Hello From Florida!!!

WE'RE ALIVE AND FINALY GOT POWER BACK!!

Any other Floridians?????

How are you south west FL guys holding up????
Old 08-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd, glad to hear you and your wife are allright. We evacuated out here in the Gulf only to come back the next day of course. Any damage to the home and what were the max gust that were recorded around you?
Old 08-19-2004, 11:18 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Todd glad your ok. Hurricanes are very scary. I lived in St Pete as a kid when Camile come up the Gulf, still vivid in my mind.

Bret, I was wondering about you also, that can't be fun, being away from land with bad weather coming.

Now being in Tennessee, I don't have to worry about hurricanes just those pesky tornados.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I am from Pinellas County and we really lucked out. Had that storm gone where it was supposed to we would have been in a real fix. My 68 Fastback mustang lives outside, so we were very worried about the storm damage to it (not insured against its value) and the house. I have a number of friends in Orlando who have been spending most of their days over the last week chainsawing trees for people and helping clean up. I would have gone to help but I am still working as an engineer until the beginning of the semester. Some people got power right away and some didn't that I heard of in Orlando. Good to here you are finally hooked up so to speak.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:35 AM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I moved away from the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda are 3 months ago and just in time apparently. I have spoken to some friends and associates down there and it isn't good. Out of the five people I have talked to so far, 4 of them had total devastation to their property. The one's I was real concerned about, because they live on the water, haven't been reachable yet. That area has the most beautiful beaches in all of Florida but luckily is still sparsely populated.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:01 PM
tuk_928
Burning Brakes

Hey Todd and Floridians,
I'm up in Gainesville, FL...Charley was at some point forecasted to come aground in Cedar Key which is only ~50 miles from us. We would have been hit hard, I"m sure. I left work that day when the university of FL shut down at noon. On the way out we heard amongst the crowd that the storm had been updgraded to a Cat 4...began to get worried and then heard soonafter that it was shifting east rather quickly and would cut through the middle of the state. Lots of devastation at landfall and loss-of-life (elderly trailer-dwellers?)...haven't really heard how Orlando and the surrounding area made out except for downed trees and loss of power. Best of luck to all who are digging out of this mess. Seems EARLY in the season to be getting nailed like this...
Best,
Tim
Old 08-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

We have a friend down in that area who is a dentist and he claims that they are projected to be without power for about a month. My father is also a dentist and was very worried about the same scenario happing to him. I was prepared to gone home from my temporary job in Tallahassee following that weekend to help clean up Pinellas county, but it never happened. I feel obligated to go and help out but there really isn't anything you can do. Although, we did have a blood drive where I am working for the summer.

Another note. How many of us are there in gainesville. I am heading back after the beginning of the semester and will be attending the Law school in Spring. I see jc22 is putting together an 86 track car which is pretty awesome. I was just recently contacted by a gentlemen who works at the university inquiring about my 951 because he wants to sell his 928 to get a 951. Should have mine put back together by the end of the weekend I hope. There is also a professor who posts on the 968 board who is doing a 968 turbo conversion.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:04 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Hey Brett!! What were you doing in the Gulf???

Yea, we are in Apopka which is a little west of downtown Orlando/Winter Park, which got hit the worst. We had about 50-60mph sustained here. They recorded 105mph at the Orlando airport which is pretty impressive for a strorm that had been accross 150+ miles of land first. If it had came in through Tampa like original it would have been much worse. We are actully closing on a house in the Tampa area soon as my wife is now working out of the corporate office which is in Tampa.

We stayed with some friends for the time power was out and helped them with plenty of chainsaw work and stacking wood piles They got lucky and were only without power for one day as they are on the same power grid that a near by fire station was on. Tons of downed old trees all around the city.

Yea, the picturers from down south are pretty devistating. I also heard the Captiva Island is now 2 islands due to the storm surge. We spend some long weekends around there and Sanibel. Very beautiful, but now rows of multi million dollar homes destroyed.

Maybe a FL get together soon???? And Brett and Dave of course
Old 08-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Wow that makes me smart not realizing that tuk_928 is the same guy. Sup Tim. Wow and I haven't even starting the fall football drinking season.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Todd, I thought you remebered that I worked for an offshore drilling company, Transocean, www.deepwater.com the lead vessel on the homepage is the project I was on for 4 yrs and I wanted to get a better schedule and have some time off so I went offshore with it, 2 and 2 schedule.

Captiva and Sanibel, beautiful places as I have spent time at South Seas Plantation. I hope they recover, as well as everyone who was affected by the storm. I've had to travel back through areas of LA after storms came and it's one thing to see it in the paper and completely different to drive through it and see it first hand - or be in it.

Well you know my wife and 5 yo are always up for a trip to see Mickey..... But if any of you Floridians ever want to come north www.redappleinn.com in my little neck of the woods. Fly into Little Rock AR, it's an hour up the road as they say.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:47 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was in punta gorda/port charlotte from about 6pm friday (chased charley up from the south - miami) until late tuesday night shooting for good morning america. its pretty bad - and this is the 8th hurricane i've covered. it was all going relatively well when we pulled out, but i know that things can get ugly after about a week or so of no power, bad water, no stoplights, etc. people get pretty frustrated - and rightly so.

there were people with some really good attitudes, however and i know that things will turn out for the better in the long run.

i just hope that places like arcadia (which got slammed pretty hard as well) aren't forgotten since they didn't get the "publicity" that punta gorda got.

i get thru that area every so often - it will be interesting to watch their recovery.

on a side note - i saw at least 3 944s running around there the last couple of days - they looked undamaged and i witnessed no p-car destruction personally!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:25 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Hey Brett!!

Ok, I rememeber now. You guys hiring???? As with the wife's new job I am left looking for employment in the "Gulf" area. And I guess a new Porsche mechanic as well.

Wow, the FL 951's are coming out of the woodworks!!
Old 08-19-2004, 08:35 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Talking

Toddk911,

Just one question......I know there was extremely severe weather, power outages, lack of water, miserable living conditions, sweltering heat, short tempers.....but how did you function without Rennlist for so many days?? Tell me the secret -- Cmon.

Good to have you back buddy!
Old 08-19-2004, 09:51 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Hey Kevin!!! I am about due for a road trip back to the Keys. Was down with some buddys a couple of months ago.

I was checking the list from our friends house, just didn't have the password to reply to messages
Old 08-19-2004, 09:52 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Oh, crap!! Your in the other southern most point

Quick Reply: OT: Hello From Florida!!!