Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Guru, Tial, dual, single-WG confusion-HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guru, Tial, dual, single-WG confusion-HELP!

Everyone seems to think the WG is major basic upgrade.

Some swear by the rebuilt Guru. Some say single port WG's are a waste of money, go with Tial. Then you have some Tial owners stating they run their dual port WG in single port mode!

Is there anyone who has had a rebuilt stock WG AND a Tial (or other dual port) and saw a difference?

Is there anyone who put on a new WG and did NOT see a dramatic improvement from stock? My stock WG seems to hold well actually with the LBE.

What makes a dual port so much better, and if so why would some people run it in 'single port' mode?

I want to make the right decision the first time. Stay with stock since it seems to hold (but i have no comparison), go wtih Guru for less than $200 or go with Tial for a bit more than $300.

Maybe I should run a poll?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:22 PM
daniel951
Race Car

The reason why some people run there dual-port wastegates in single mode is because they don't have a EBC. Also another reason why your wastegate might be holding good is that u aren't running higher psi levels. Soon as u turn up that boost the that stock wastegate is going to start to bleed off fast. I havne't had a chance to run my wastegate in dual port mode yet so i can't comment on that.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, to add more confusion to the matter, the Tial WG is available in different spring pressure ratings. It would be helpful if people state what spring they have in their Tial when comparing wastegate A to wastegate B.

I'll be installing a Tial with a 1.1 bar spring (16 psi) soon, so I'll have another piece of data to contribute later.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:39 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I ran my LBE on my stock wastegate with alot of success until the wastegate started bleeding off to around 9 psi vs. the 12 it used to hold. Install Tial and 15 all the way, I have never heard a bad thing about a Tial, Ive heard mixed good and ok and bad reviews of Lindsey Dual Ports, Rebuilt stockers and the like. Ive even heard bad things about deltagates, but never a Tial.

I have the .65 bar spring in mine and can obviously adjust to anything higher than that, but I wish I had the 1 bar spring..I never go below 15 so whats the point?

Do it once, do it right!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:05 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I have the .65 bar spring in mine and can obviously adjust to anything higher than that, but I wish I had the 1 bar spring..I never go below 15 so whats the point?

Do it once, do it right!
You say that now, but if your engine ever has a problem, do you really want to run 15 psi? I am glad that on my last car, after I blew the head gasket, I was able to run between 5 and 10 psi to allow for a "break-in" period.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Interesting that I can hold pressure off the guage (stock guage) with 18 psi guru chip and LBE.

It's hard for me to say when full boost is hit, but about 4000 in 1st gear, and less for each higher gear.

I do know the guage works, because with the Accu-boost (dialed into absolute max pressure) I get 13-14 psi which very quickly falls to 10-11.

So with two different boost controllers and the same stock WG i get a completely different boost profile (4-6lbs different on the same chip).
Old 08-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's just for a break-in period, one could use restraint on the loud pedal to modulate boost, even with the 1 bar spring. It's probably safer to not go WOT on a break-in anyways.

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Well, I can say something because I just went from a stock WG to a 38mm Tial WG with a .9 spring running a reli-boost. Before I had to get up to almost 4,000 to get full boost. Now I get FULL boost (15psi) by 3,400 easy. I LOVE it!!! I really can feel more power. The cycling valve was bypassed as well.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never regretted going with the Tial.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:04 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Go Tial or go home........
Old 08-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

just to throw another thing in the mix here, i run a profecb elec boost controller, it doesn't work well with single port because its not even designed for it. its like an actuator type waste gate except its external...i'm hoping to get a tial real soon so that i can dial boost and not have it fluctuate constantly. any chance enough peope want to do a group buy?
Old 08-18-2004, 09:40 PM
mdex
Racer

If your WG is good, there isn't a reason to replace it. The big push to go to an aftermarket WG is the cost of a new Porsche one. You can get a Tial (which is a great unit) or a rebuilt / modified stock unit when you are replacing the WG for far less than a new Porsche unit.

The question should be why are you looking to replace your WG? is it not working? are you looking to run multiple boost maps etc... if it is good save your money.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Jerry
Instructor

Can you tell me what phone number to call to get additional tial WG info? Thanks
Old 08-25-2004, 12:40 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blueman33

A Tial 46mm (which is the only Tial I'd buy) is 10x better than any stock or modified stock wastegate... Period.

And yes... I've had 2 "rebuilt and modified" stock wastegates.. they suck compared to a Tial 46mm.

The more power you make... the bigger the difference. Even stock... the stock wastegates are junk.

Get a Tial 46mm wastegate, and a manual black-**** boost controller with a 1 bar spring.

It will be rock solid.

TonyG

daniel951
Old 08-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
A Tial 46mm (which is the only Tial I'd buy) is 10x better than any stock or modified stock wastegate... Period.

And yes... I've had 2 "rebuilt and modified" stock wastegates.. they suck compared to a Tial 46mm.

The more power you make... the bigger the difference. Even stock... the stock wastegates are junk.

TonyG
Try telling Markus Blaszak that. I tried, but some people are very set in their ways. I think he rebuilds them, and this was the main reason he was defending the stock unit.

Quick Reply: Guru, Tial, dual, single-WG confusion-HELP!