Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

15 or 18 psi Guru chips - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 or 18 psi Guru chips - opinions?

I purchased an accuboost in the group buy and installed a boost gauge this weekend, so I am finally ready to start the upgrade process. I am looking to order chips, and based on the posts I've read it seems the chips should correlate with my use - but is is still not clear which is the best choice for my personal situation.

I have a 1986 951 stock with 78K. Although I am sure I no longer have the original K/26, I am not sure if the K/26 installed has been modified. The consensus of posts seems to be a disappointment with shims, so I have decided to go with a a Guru wastegate and not have to do the job twice. I believe the chips and wastegate will be the extent of my upgrades - I really am not considering a MAF or MAP at this point. I live in the NY metro area, so there aren't a lot of opportunities to open the car up.

I have read posts that the boost doesn't effect the lifespan of the engine per se, but blowing a head gasket is great concern of mine. It is likely I wouldn't go over 15 psi, and I understand that if I dial down with the accuboost on the 18psi chips I will run lean and I don't want issues with the NY smog inspection. Right now I am leaning towards a 15 psi Guru chips, but I am soliciting opinions - so please add your 2 cents - Thanks -

Jeremy
Old 08-17-2004, 11:37 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If you dial down the boost with 18psi chips you will not be lean, but now running rich.

I think 15psi with a new wastegate will make you very happy. Wastegates are one of my fav. upgrades to push on people, the stocker just isnt in the same league. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:52 PM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

if you upgrade the wastegate and it holds 15 psi to redline, won't you need "custom" chips to not run lean? i thought the standard mass air chips assumed roll off of boost at redline.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:20 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

well gurus chips are designed to run with shims that allow the wastegate to hold boost to redline more so than the stock wastegate does...so with a new wastegate the guru chips should be a-ok...
Old 08-18-2004, 12:45 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danno's 18psi chips are safe for the head gasket. It is usually the tuning along with high boost that blows the head gasket, and the WFHG doesn't aid so much that you image (Search posts).

As a matter of fact, someone here was running 20psi with Danno's custom chips and stock engine, never blew a head gasket, but an old heater pipe blew from pressure and caused over heating issues.

With that being said, drop Danno a PM or e-mail and tell him about you 15psi chips (along with you current/future upgrades) and he would customise the chips to your needs. Ask him everything you like on the 18psi chips as well (he could also custom chips to run 16~18psi if you like). Just ask him.......

Get a NEW wastegate (not stock though).....
Old 08-18-2004, 08:35 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

I would do a search on Vitesse, Give them a call and check out their chips.
Why go with the student when you can have the teacher
Old 08-18-2004, 09:05 AM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the info....and please keep it coming. I was hoping Danno might weigh in, but I guess I wil contact him directly -

Jeremy
Old 08-18-2004, 09:31 AM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Originally Posted by awilson40
Mmmmm when I was in my teens I would go with the teacher option but now I am in my thirties the students seem much more appealing....Funny that!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:40 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

better watch it...they put ya in jail for that these days.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awilson40
I would do a search on Vitesse, Give them a call and check out their chips.
I agree, I was very pleased with the HP my car made over other chip kits with the Vitesse chips. Well worth the money.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:14 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Please use the Search feature before starting down the slippery mod slope. Vitesse (Fast951)'s customers are extremely happy with their set-up and have great support with no running issues. Trust me its no fun when you need something or want questions answered or you are continually waiting and receiving broken promises after broken promises. Further, some (as myself) even without the MAP system, are experiencing off throttle issues that is problem in stop and go traffic. If this was solved, I am not aware of it. Search is your friend. Sorry, horson Good Luck

Last edited by ewainwright; 08-19-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:03 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, no problem(s)..............
Old 08-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

ewainright - I am not sure if the suggestion to use the search function was directed to me. But as I find it incredibly annoying when people make blind posts without first doing research I share your concern. You will note in my original post that I indeed did several searches resulting in posts with pertinent information. Unfortunately, there were no posts that would answer my question directly related to the two different types of Guru chips being used with my limited set-up. I believe my scenario is somewhat unique in that most who run the 18 psi chips are also running a MAF. I am acutely aware of the customer service concerns that have been noted regarding Guru, however, recently there have been no derogatory postings which I hope means these issues have been resolved.

When I first looked into chips and the vitesse site - by the way it is www.vitesseracing.com for those who may obtain this in a search (I had a hard time finding it the first time) - I did not see the seperate chips section - it appears as though they are now, or have been, selling chips that are comparable in price to Guru (seems about a $50 difference). I am not looking to turn this post into a lets take shots at either company's products. Rather there appears to be distinct differences between the way the two are advertised and I am wondering if that relates to the actual product produced - Guru claims to be made for a primarily stock set-up with wastegate shims, while Vitesse appears to be for those interested in MAFs or MAPs. Also, there is no mention of an FPR being included with the Vitesse kit - I assume this is still needed. Are others running the Vitesse chips with a similar stock set-up as I intend to run - just an accuboost and modified wastegate? Do the vitesse chips have a psi cut-off like the Gurus (i.e. 15 or 18)? Essentially, I am trying to determine if there are any advantages to going with one or the other based on my intended set-up. Thanks -

Jeremy
Old 08-18-2004, 02:43 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Jeremy – I didn’t mean any disrespect to you. I was trying to be helpful. Good Luck ed

Edit: I am speaking as one who has paid hard earned money (put my money where my mouth is) and from my personal truthful experiences with the product wishing that people were more forthcoming with their experiences when I posted similar questions. Flame away.

Last edited by ewainwright; 08-18-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:52 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Nothing is invincible. I saw a 944 turbo yesterday with Vitesse upgrades, head was off because it blew a head gasket. Don't know the details on what happened, I stopped by real quick and saw it by my car.

Quick Reply: 15 or 18 psi Guru chips - opinions?