Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

15 or 18 psi Guru chips - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 01:58 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=hosrom_951]Jeremy: So, you would recon Vitesse over Guru?

Did you try the Guru yourself to compare anyone else out there?
QUOTE]

I've tried Guru, APE's, Welts, and the Vitesse chips. Three different versions of the Guru's. Hands down Vitesse was the winner. Dyno proven best performance and they arrived when they were supposed to.

Haven't heard anything about Lindsey chips. I always thought they used Kolkeln. Still have a set of Welts and Authothority's for sale or trade if anyone's interested (hint, hint).........
Old 08-19-2004, 03:14 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Hey Mike,
Way to go. I totally agree with what you say.
It seems that lots of listers are commenting
on subjects without actual experience. We are
all here to trade experiences & learn from each
other. Is this not why the forum exsist in the first
place ?
Old 08-19-2004, 03:24 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J Chen: I AM talking about experience, but on their CS. I sent both guru and vitesse e-nails regfarding their chips.

I asked vitesse at what boost they would be running, future upgrades, fuel, timing, i got only one response "We provide the best curve for your car".

Guru, however, got into the details from the type of fuel im using, how much boost, head gasket issues...you name it.......so i speak for experience and MY opinion on them........especially when im 5,000+miles away from vendors, i find Guru to be the best in sources..........

By the way, since when were you guys basing chips in for Most Power Gains???

There is timing, response, boost build up etc.....so max power doesn't mean the best chip you know (just a reminder).
Old 08-19-2004, 03:40 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Hey Hosrom,
Cool it, I was not pin pointing at you. It was a general
remark that I made. BTW, I'm also running a Guru chip set.
Danno is helping me to get the chip dial in for my GT 25
set up.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:16 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
J Chen: I AM talking about experience, but on their CS. I sent both guru and vitesse e-nails regfarding their chips.

I asked vitesse at what boost they would be running, future upgrades, fuel, timing, i got only one response "We provide the best curve for your car".
Hosrom, I believe your name is Jamil correct?
You have sent me 3 emails and I responded to all 3 of them. 4/30/04, 5/27/04 and 5/28/04. I believe you asked many questions that I responded to all of them. So your statement above is misleading and does not state the facts.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:02 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Sorry, i didn't mean it as only one reply out of three questions (didn't notice that i typed that).

I meant was when i asked regarding the boost and fuel i got best curve as an answer.

I apologise again, i should have read back and edited my post.

If i remember (don't have my inbox messages at work) i asked about shipping (?) fuel consumption (got a reply on depends how you drive it) and the boost configurations (best curve as an answer).

What i meant was i didn't get a reply in such details as i got with the guru, not trying to mislead anyone, just mis-typed.

AND i amd NOT comparing customer service's between vendors (if that point came up).

Last edited by hosrom_951; 08-19-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:18 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

J Chen: I know that you are not pinning on me sorry to everyone who thought so.... no hard feelings

BTW, this post is for deciding between the 15psi and the 18psi Guru chips....why did we start to involve vendors?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:56 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Mike, you have lots of good points and I'm like you. I have the ability to read, map and burn my own chips and I do experiment a bit. But not everyone can or is willing to do that. They want a package they can plug in, feel an improvement and that runs great.
I have always had a stumpling issue when rolling on the throttle even when all was stock. I want smooth, uniform drivability over raw power. I did all the repairs required to stop this stumbling with no luck. I read that several Guru customers have the same issues so I held off on chips. Then TT offered to help and the difference was night and day. The changes Vitesse(TT) makes to the chips goes far beyond just fuel and ignition changes. I'll let them expand if they wish (I think it would help their cause if they did). With the latest version, my car starts right up. No hesitation during warmup, smooth off boost to partial boost transition and smooth full throttle. Something I never had with stock or EuroProducts chips. If I ever fit a wideband then I'm sure I will tweak to better fit my car, but they work great 'Out of the Box' which is what most people want.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Gentlemen - I appreciate everyone's comments. The purpose of this post was to solicit people's experiences with a similar set-up. I have and continue to request that posts discuss people's opinions of the product, not of any individuals related to the products. Thanks -

Jeremy
Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

hosrom_951, Not a problem.. Sorry I didn't answer your questions with the level of details you were looking for...

Not to hijack this thread, just to address few points.. TT and I are working together. We have many new items ready for release. We just released a MAF conversion for the 911 3.2, we will be releasing a new (totally redesigned) MAF chips for the 951/944. Of course lots of enhancements keep making their way to the AFM chips.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Jeremy:

I have run both GURU 15's and GURU 18's and loved the performance of both and received no problems with customer service. I am currently getting some custom GURU chips for my 450cc injectors. Once again, great service and information from GURU on these as well.

However, if you are running a stock turbo, do not be surprised that you will not hold 18psi to redline, as many in here seem to feel that this is a wastegate issue and it is not. My understanding with the GURU 18's is Danno takes the boost roll off into account. A GURU,Tial, etc. wastegate will help negate some of the roll off, but not completely.

This of course is to only answer the questions that you asked and not to lead into a compare/contrast of other vendors/tuners.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
However, if you are running a stock turbo, do not be surprised that you will not hold 18psi to redline, as many in here seem to feel that this is a wastegate issue and it is not. My understanding with the GURU 18's is Danno takes the boost roll off into account.
I have the 18 psi Guru chips and I roll off from 18 psi peak at 4500-5000 rpm to about 15 psi at redline. My dyno runs showed that I started to run very rich on the top end where the boost was rolling off. This suggested that the chips were mapped for a flat 18 psi boost curve, which Danno confirmed with me. Of course, this was easily corrected with the Link MAP tuning module, so now I have a flat A/F curve around 12:1 all the way to redline. It is also my understanding that there is no single version of the 18 psi Guru chips, and that Danno maps them for your specific configuration. It's worth double-checking with Danno on how he maps your particular chips.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeremy, I went back and re-read your original post. You originally asked about the Guru chips. If you haven't already hear from Danno, he does burn chips that have both the 15 and 18psi configurations on the same chip. You can toggle back and forth using the FQS, similar to what Jeremy Himsel described for the Vitesse chips. I'm not advertising for anyone here, just providing information. I hope it helps.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:39 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I love the FQS!!

With a custom chip setup you can have multiple maps set for more/less fuel, more/less timing, more/less boost, etc.

Makes the DME into a "mini a/f controller"
Old 08-19-2004, 12:49 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

My custom Gurus are set for stock injectors, 55#, 2 degree timing retard, and 3 to 6 percent fuel increasements across the board in different configurations.

Havent started messing with the FQS yet, but the options are there. Im either going to send danno my latest a/f plot w/ current fuel pressures to make a final baseline or just start dialing it in when I get a laptop. c'mon vegas! win me some money this weekend!!

Quick Reply: 15 or 18 psi Guru chips - opinions?