Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing Vacuum line HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Vacuum line HELP!

Ok, so I think I found out why my idle isn't the greatest. After all new spark plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, etc., I noticed that air seems be blowing by the turbo. I can't tell exactly where it is but feels like either front/back of turbo. How hard is it to replace one/both of these? Where is a good place to buy these?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The J-boot's rubber outlet tend to get really crispy with age. You might also want to check the big rubber hose at the turbo-outlet as well. That likes to split on the backside underneath the bend were you can't see it. Put some smoke around that area, like a cigarette and see where the air-flow is coming from. Could just be your fan blowing stuff around.

Idle issues tend to be caused by leaks after the throttle-body. So check all your air-hoses for the brake-booster and idle-stabilizer. Also all those little vacuum hoses for the FPR, fuel-dampener and CBV can cause problems as well. I've seen a couple of intake-manifold gaskets that's been blown out by boost as well that caused idle problems (too much silicone on the gaskets).
Old 08-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Mike1982
Drifting

Ok, I know that but my REAL question is, how do I check them? How do I get them in/out/check them? Looks just A LITTLE tight with the turbo and intake.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:30 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What are you trying to get in and out? The J boot you can just remove the AFM and unclamp the j boot from the turbo and remove it (removing other connections as well). If you want to replace all your vacuum lines, you need to remove the intake.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Mike1982
Drifting

I would like to check the boot(s) before/after the turbo. I "THINK" I have a leak there.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:44 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There isnt a boot after the turbo, there is an exhaust pipe after the turbo. The rubber boot pulls out like i explained earlier, not hard at all. Do make it easier, remove the one intercooler pipe and get it out of the way.

Quick Reply: Replacing Vacuum line HELP!